Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A 2021 Subaru Impreza
Hatchback or sedan?

When I was buying a new car a bit more than a year ago I really liked the Subaru Crosstrek but couldn't get a good deal on it and ended up getting a Mazda CX5 instead. Subaru's financing was crap.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Hatchback or sedan?

When I was buying a new car a bit more than a year ago I really liked the Subaru Crosstrek but couldn't get a good deal on it and ended up getting a Mazda CX5 instead. Subaru's financing was crap.
Hatchback, edited my post to cover that part. In their "Ocean blue" colour which is gorgeous~

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bought the 6 book collection of Dune to read through.

Why do physical books cost more than digital ones? To buy all 6 books from Amazon on paperback costs $49 but buying them on Kindle costs $55. What the fuck? Why does the object that needs to be printed and shipped, which costs money end up costing less than the digital product that doesn't involve any of those things? The digital version of books should always cost 50% less at minimum.

It's a fucking racket, and that goes double for school books.
I bet if you asked, you'd probably get some bs justification like the extra cost being for the "added convenience" or something.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I bought a new bottle of shampoo, which wouldn't be that notable, if it wasn't six British pounds a bottle, and that is only for 250ml of the stuff.

I wish I could just settle for the 27-in-1, 99p stuff.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I bought a new laptop, should be here any moment today. I’ve not had a personal computer in about 10 years as the one(s) supplied by my employer has suited my purposes, but now we’ve gone to stricter policies that won’t allow us to even plug in a USB for fear of exposing “company property” to viruses and malware. It's nothing fancy, not trying to use it for gaming or anything, just practical purposes. I also ordered some music production software that I used to have almost 20 years ago; found it on eBay for a relative steal. I’ve been carrying around a USB with tons of music I made with it, but have been unable access as the file formats are specific to this software. Just hope the two are compatible…

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I bought a new bottle of shampoo, which wouldn't be that notable, if it wasn't six British pounds a bottle, and that is only for 250ml of the stuff.

I wish I could just settle for the 27-in-1, 99p stuff.
Bronners peppermint liquid soap. Cures dandruff.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Jamo Series S809 speakers. My home theater 5.1 is really better than I deserve but the front speakers are lacking so I'm getting these from Amazon mind blowingly cheap for what they are. 2.5 system that I might otherwise spend 3x as much for the Polk S60s. Just in time. They come Saturday. My buds come Sunday to watch Snyder's Justice League (4 hour movie on HBO Max) so I hope to set them up in time.
1616030142639.png

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Fortunately, I was in a position to blow a survival check on a Big Expensive Useful Thing and ordered most of a computer. Had to skimp on the processor, Ryzen 7 5800 instead of Ryzen 9 5900, because the later is the best semi-affordable processor on the market and is thus perpetually sold out for crypto-mining. And I'm just gonna steal the Gtx 1060 out of the old computer. You know, the mid-range card from 5 years ago with an MSRP of $300 that's currently selling, in the year of our lord 2021, for 2-3 times that.

I hate crypto so very, very much.

Also got a huge box of manga from an order back in January. Should probably flood the "What are we reading" thread with those.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Fortunately, I was in a position to blow a survival check on a Big Expensive Useful Thing and ordered most of a computer. Had to skimp on the processor, Ryzen 7 5800 instead of Ryzen 9 5900, because the later is the best semi-affordable processor on the market and is thus perpetually sold out for crypto-mining. And I'm just gonna steal the Gtx 1060 out of the old computer. You know, the mid-range card from 5 years ago with an MSRP of $300 that's currently selling, in the year of our lord 2021, for 2-3 times that.

I hate crypto so very, very much.
Neat. Got me one of those too last week. Depending on what you plan on doing a 5900 might be a bit better, but for gaming a 5800 should still last through current gen. And yeh, I'm in the same boat gpu-wise except mine is a 980ti, so even older. No clue what the going rate right now is tho.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Neat. Got me one of those too last week. Depending on what you plan on doing a 5900 might be a bit better, but for gaming a 5800 should still last through current gen. And yeh, I'm in the same boat gpu-wise except mine is a 980ti, so even older. No clue what the going rate right now is tho.
I'm looking at streaming and video editing, so more cores=better. Card got declined due to anti-fraud, so a minor miracle might happen by the time I get that sorted out. Honestly, if you're just going for gaming, save a couple hundred and go for the Ryzen 5 5700.

The going rate for GPUs is "virgin sacrifice under a blood moon". There isn't a worthwhile card on the market for less that $700, and that's stretching the definition of "worthwhile". It's honestly worth it to look at pre-built computers.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm looking at streaming and video editing, so more cores=better. Card got declined due to anti-fraud, so a minor miracle might happen by the time I get that sorted out. Honestly, if you're just going for gaming, save a couple hundred and go for the Ryzen 5 5700.
Ah, video editing, then yeah, makes sense. And you're right that the 5700 is the better choice for general gaming, but I also do some visual editing, I play around a lot with emulation where singlethreaded matters and the 5800x is currently best, and it does seem that 8-core will become standard sooner or later. I felt like it was the best balance between cost and meeting all my needs.

The going rate for GPUs is "virgin sacrifice under a blood moon". There isn't a worthwhile card on the market for less that $700, and that's stretching the definition of "worthwhile". It's honestly worth it to look at pre-built computers.
Yeh, it be barren out there.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This is only $2 on Steam until 3/29. What the heck. I have it for PS3 already but... that's a cup of coffee. Nice to add to my collection.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A Bluetooth speaker.
Valiant Hearts.
Duck Game.
Inside.

Sounds like a haiku.
Have you not played INSIDE?!? If not, ill be curious to hear how you enjoy it! It's easily one of my favorite games, all time, hands down. So brilliantly beautiful, cryptic, and the music?? Ugh, I hope you haven't spoiled it for yourself.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Have you not played INSIDE?!? If not, ill be curious to hear how you enjoy it! It's easily one of my favorite games, all time, hands down. So brilliantly beautiful, cryptic, and the music?? Ugh, I hope you haven't spoiled it for yourself.
I'm vaguely aware of an abrupt/anticlimactic/wtf ending, but that's about it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl