What have you purchased recently?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Some Skullcandy Dime 2 true wireless earbuds. I've wanted a pair of wireless earbuds for awhile, but I didn't know if I'd like true wireless enough to wanna drop $100+ on them (especially since I can't return earbuds if I don't like them). Found these on sale for $35, read online that even though the battery life kinda stinks they actually sound really good (for Skullcandy).

[Incoming mini-review]
After some listening... yeah, the reviews are right! They're remarkably great in their quality, and that's coming from me being a bit of an audiophile that rocks $300 Focals for my over-ear headphones. Skullcandy usually overblows their bass so hard it just sounds like someone blowing point blank into a microphone to make bass sounds... and even though these are definitely a bit warmer/darker and thumpy than I might normally like, the bass is pretty well controlled and not boomy/muffled, which is WAY off brand for Skullcandy's usual shtick.
There's definitely some mid scooping going on, which I can't seem to find an EQ I like to fix that without having to download a custom EQ app for my phone, but for the price I honestly don't think I can ask for anything better than this. 3-3.5 hours on a charge is not great, but I don't really plan on going for long periods of time with them. Just needed something for walks and other short bursts

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
A knife sharpener. £10

I bought a set of kitchen knives 9 years ago when I moved out of my old junkieville flat to one in a new town with a new job. Up until then pretty much everything I owned was either scrounged or second hand or incredibly cheap and rubbish. They aren't exactly top of the range, but those knives represented a change for me, so I've held onto them, but they were getting very blunt. So I bought a knife sharpener to keep them going.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Future Press Elden Ring guides are available for preorder, so I did my due diligence on both volumes -

1655579613930.png

Also got a new INNAV8 high pressure water hose attachment and another pair of Nike Air Max 270's in Black/White/Solar Red/Anthracite since my old ones are pretty worn out and demoted to yard work shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I got 32GB of RAM for my laptop. That and new SSDs later in the year should help stretch out its lifespan for another five or seven years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
An LG sound bar for my dad on Father's day. My brother and I split the money.

Shredder's Revenge & Final Vendetta on Switch.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Not really a purchase but acquired as a Father's Day gift: a bunch of Los Pollos Hermanos merch.

Tshirt and stickers for my home office wall.

1656031973157.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I traded in Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) & both Hyrule Warriors games for my pre-order on the Capcom Fighting Game Collection (PS4).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A new lawnmower. Our lawn guy fell ill with a heart condition (went to the ER and everything,) so the lawn duty fell on us again. We called our guy to check on him, make sure he was feeling better, and apparently he's back to work already. Our eyes got as big as saucers; we asked if he was medically cleared, and he assured us he was. Oh well, we've got a new mower for emergency purposes.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I need a monitor for work, but I'm stuck deciding between a Xiaomi one (cheap but with only 1 HDMI port) and a BenQ one (3 HDMI ports, supposedly good for your eyes, but 50% more expensive). Any thoughts? I wanted multiple ports because I plan to build a PC one day and would like to switch between my work machine and personal. I guess I could just use an HDMI switch, but it sounds like a hassle.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I need a monitor for work, but I'm stuck deciding between a Xiaomi one (cheap but with only 1 HDMI port) and a BenQ one (3 HDMI ports, supposedly good for your eyes, but 50% more expensive). Any thoughts? I wanted multiple ports because I plan to build a PC one day and would like to switch between my work machine and personal. I guess I could just use an HDMI switch, but it sounds like a hassle.
If you’re gonna have one monitor for multiple systems then a KVM is probably the best way to go for switching.

As for the monitor choice, well I’ve never heard of Xiaomi but I’ve sure as shit heard of Benq and their monitors are pretty good. The low blue light levels are probably a good investment; although I’d double check the inputs because I’ve never heard of a monitor having three of the same inputs outside some seriously specialty Dell units. And even that tended to be two of each.

In short, I would buy the Benq because even at twice the price it’s likely to last three times as long. Especially if you aren’t chasing the FPS/refresh rate dragon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are those items both for your niece and do they go together I'm some way I'm missing?
Yes, they're both for her.

She likes reading so, you know. The plasma lamp is just a gamble, I guess. She's turning 9, so she's kinda growing out of toys (I think), and while she likes creative shit like colored pencils and such, I've been buying that stuff for her for the last couple of years now. Plus, so has my mom, including this year. I'm thinking maybe she'll be at the age where she's interested in something that'll spice up her room.

Also, I remember when I was very little I thought that those plasma lamps were the coolest shit, but I could never get one. So I figured why not give her one.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If you’re gonna have one monitor for multiple systems then a KVM is probably the best way to go for switching.

As for the monitor choice, well I’ve never heard of Xiaomi but I’ve sure as shit heard of Benq and their monitors are pretty good. The low blue light levels are probably a good investment; although I’d double check the inputs because I’ve never heard of a monitor having three of the same inputs outside some seriously specialty Dell units. And even that tended to be two of each.

In short, I would buy the Benq because even at twice the price it’s likely to last three times as long. Especially if you aren’t chasing the FPS/refresh rate dragon.
Thanks! Leaning towards the BenQ, buying for the long term after all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
View attachment 6532h

Anyway, I bought The Neverending Story (the book) and one of those plasma orb lamps for my niece.
Those fighting games are harder to get otherwise, or unavailable, outside of emulation. ShoC Remake is way easier to find any way. You forget that I am a big Capcom fan. The game just sat and did not do much, so it's not a big deal for me. I already know about the twists and stuff. I have 0 regrets.