What if GTAV sucks?

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Weaver said:
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:
Well, GTA IV was one of the most boring games I think I've played in my life.
I certainly won't be bothering with V.

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.
GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
It's good to know my subjective opinion on what bores me is completely invalidated because someone says so.
I wasn't claiming the game was boring for everyone, but it was boring for me.
i agree with you my good sir! I also found GTA IV to be quite boring, the side missions (if you can call going bowling with roman a side mission, also STOP CALLING ME EVERY 2 MINUTES!!!) and there wasn't much to do and i never actually got round to completing it as it was grey and boring, i also found the DLC to be just as dull although TBoGT did bring a little fun but not enough to interest me.

OT: I think rockstar learned from IV although not a bad game it wasn't as good as it could of been, i'm hoping V is just as much fun as san andreas and just as colourful as vice city.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
DataSnake said:
Anything a PS3 or 360 can do, a current-gen PC can do better. The reverse is not true. That's not "trying to show dominance", it's just what happens when one platform has been advancing for seven years while the others have stayed the same. Thus, expecting a game able to run on consoles to run at least as well on PC is entirely reasonable, while expecting a PC game to perform as well on consoles just isn't.
That be true indeed but that image in my head still isn't going to go away anytime soon.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Nothing would change. That future you imagine where publishers are too scared to take risks with IP? We're already living in it; it's called the mainstream game industry.

I have every confidence that GTAV will be a colossal benchmark in gaming, but even if it isn't, and it crushes Rockstar completely, that's just another nail in the coffin of this bloated, stagnant industry.

What I'm saying is it's win:win.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
DataSnake said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I can only imagine that if this were to happen to consoles you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I mean if you and some others here are going to get angry at one studio for not bringing a game to your platform then I guess I can do that too for games that are on one or two platforms only myself.

Also getting pretty fed up with the over saturated use of the word "superior" because now all I can picture is this image for when the word is mentioned when trying to show dominance against everything else like some primitive ape.
Anything a PS3 or 360 can do, a current-gen PC can do better. The reverse is not true. That's not "trying to show dominance", it's just what happens when one platform has been advancing for seven years while the others have stayed the same. Thus, expecting a game able to run on consoles to run at least as well on PC is entirely reasonable, while expecting a PC game to perform as well on consoles just isn't.
He isn't saying it isn't true, he's saying he imagines you as an ape when you use the word superior.
This right here, he gets it.

I see it that way because of how warped the gaming community here and everywhere else has gotten.

I don't see that word getting thrown around much in daily life.

For example, my sister had an operation years ago on her left leg muscles, the doctors said her walking normally would "improve" over time.

I didn't hear the doctors claiming she'd have a "superior" leg compared to the other or anyone elses.

I also went into a friends store today to buy a new set of earphones and asked for my friends opinion, he claimed the Skullcandy earphones were "decent and better" than the average brand no one would have heard of.

Not once did he utter "Superior" as if to downplay everything else to restrict my opinion and choice to just one sole product.

All I see on here when "Superior" is mentioned is it meaning the end all to be all, meaning everything else is just poppycock and shouldn't be bothered with because that usually comes right after mentioning "Superior" which just shuts everyone out from having an actual opinion on here because if someone were to mention their preference for a console you can bet someone will simply retort "yeah well PC's are superior and vast".

That gets pretty dang annoying if you ask me, why can't we just simply state "I like this platform for what it offers", not "I like this platform because it's superior to others and all gens and next gens are total fucking shit and don't hold a candle to a PC".

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Also getting pretty fed up with the over saturated use of the word "superior" because now all I can picture is this image for when the word is mentioned when trying to show dominance against everything else like some primitive ape.
Are you going to argue that 8 year old hardware is not inferior to modern PCs? Cause XBOX360 came out in Nov. 2005, and it's specs wasnt spectacular even then. Have you any idea what kind of restrictions does hardware as old as that place on graphic fidelity and gameplay?

EDIT: ah, never mind, you just don't like that word "superior". I disagree with you there, I think that word fits reality perfectly.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
EDIT: ah, never mind, you just don't like that word "superior". I disagree with you there, I think that word fits reality perfectly.
That would be an impasse mate and I'm glad it has been made clear.

You can think it suits and I can think it doesn't, that's all that matters.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I personally found GTA IV dreadfully boring. Never ending calls from your cousin, bland missions, a big world with nothing in it. If GTA V is anything even remotely like it then I will not enjoy it at all.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
jdavies655 said:
shootthebandit said:
im so confident that if GTA V sucks I will eat my own left nut

Its very unlikely that it will suck, I mean VERY unlikely given the expense of this game, the experience and resources available to rockstar not to mention they have a very proven track record and the series has an unprecedented loyal fan base
by whose standards does it have to suck by? if everyone else hates it but you like it does it suck?
Theres a difference between being objectively bad and subjectively bad. For example im not keen on lord of the rings but i can respect it as an excellent story and piece of cinema but it just doesnt interest me

Take for example ride to hell: retribution. This game is just bad period

Granted not everyone can enjoy it and im not saying everyone should (the world would be terrible if we all liked the same stuff) but i think its nigh on impossible for it to objectively suck. I can safely say that objectively GTA IV didnt suck despite being a huge drop in the series standards...i take that back, using the phrase "drop in standards" was a bit harsh. The studio was trying something new and it didnt work as well as they planned (but was still without a doubt a good game). They have learned from their mistakes with GTA IV and taken on board some of its positives

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Maximum Bert said:
Weaver said:
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.
GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
It's good to know my subjective opinion on what bores me is completely invalidated because someone says so.
This made me laugh I had no idea we had mindreaders on the Escapist who know you better than you know yourself go home weaver your subjected opinion is invalidated :).
Of course your opinion doesnt matter because only my opinion counts ;) Sorry if it came across that way. I was pointing out that despite its short comings and the fact it is a little "boring" compared to its predecessors. Overall (in my opinion) it was actually a good game

I am more interested to see if the game turns much profit because I frankly havent heard much about this game at all I have seen literally zero hype for it from anybody even my friends who like GTA (or at least used to as I dont know many who enjoyed 4 and none who liked San Andreas).
Rockstar arent big on hype they tend to keep quiet until the last week or so and ocassionally trickling out bits and pieces

I take it you havent visited IGN in the past month. They have been hyping it like mad

Dajmin

Jul 18, 2008
I actually really enjoyed GTA4, but then I hadn't played a GTA game since 3 (no I never played San Andreas, deal with it) so I wasn't expecting the list of endless unrealistic fun-but-ultimately-outside-the-realms-of-possibility stuff that a lot of people seemed to expect. Which I think is cool because we've got Saints Row for that.

The world looked great, the mechanics of everything flowed nicely, the AI was good. In fact, I enjoyed just driving around the city within the law, and I think that's a good sign of an enjoyable environment - I didn't need to feel like I was a superhuman to do it.

Sure, it had a few annoying problems. Trying to keep everyone happy and getting endless calls from everyone was frustrating, but overall I think it worked well. I think the main problem was people just expecting "out there" craziness and were disappointed when they were pulled into a more realistic setting. But I like that and I've got high hopes for GTA5.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Weaver said:
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:

GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engagingas previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
Indeed, on a similar note I think GTA IV is the best of the series by a fair margin. Loved it, apart from the phone calls...

As for the OP, it's not going to happen - why should the subject be of importance? I can see plenty of loud enthusiasts claiming it is shit a couple of years down the line just as it's the cool thing to do, much like you hear it regarding IV. Please note this doesn't refer to the above poster.

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
Its a good thing I have preemptively disappointed myself for GTA 5 and I haven't per-ordered so if it's bad I can deal with it. If I was as hyped as my friends I might die from the disappointment

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
You said it yourself, they have pretty much already made back development costs on pre-orders alone. Even if GTA V winds up being one of the worst games of all time (which is about as likely as Halo being released on the PS4), they will still make huge profits off of day one sales alone.

I think the worst case scenario for this game is decent/pretty good; anything other than fantastic will be a failure critically, but it is near impossible for GTA V to not be a massive success financial no matter what the final game quality winds up being.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
People will probably be pretty pissed. Rockstar will take a significant loss. More people will lose faith in the GTA series. That's all I can think of.

In reality though, I'm willing to bet it won't suck (I mean universally suck, not just suck to like 5-10% of the people who play it, or don't play it). I'm just holding out on a PC port like many people. My Ps3s HDMI port just fried after 7 years of continuous use, so unless I'm willing to use fuzzy sub-HD, my PC is the only way I've got to play it.

I'd also like to ask the people who say "I won't buy GTAV, or have no interest at all, because IV wasn't that great to me", is that really a fair judgement? So 1 out of the 4 highly acclaimed, award winning games makes a mistake and tries for a more "gritty, mature" story, and because of that, you quit on the series as if Rockstar couldn't POSSIBLY learn from their mistake? Because you know, they so obviously have a very large track record of making terrible game after terrible game, and will never improve. Because that makes perfect sense to me. I'm not saying everyone should buy the game, but if you're not, at least have a better excuse than "Because IV wasn't good to me, so that means none will ever be good again."

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
it will only be a 2/10 if it has some sort of game breaking bug that makes it literally unplayable.

I can very much see this forum calling it a 6/10. Everyone knows its cooler to be 'indifferent' about an amazing game then to gush over it (unless its done ironically)