What if GTAV sucks?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
actually 6/10 would be worse, there are production reasons why a game gets 2/10, it's broken, unfinished and such but 6/10 means you probably did things technically and mechanically right but it fails to resonate with people and GTA is so huge and such a big and important part of rockstars lineup that they need this game to set people on fire since the money they make from it will have to carry them till this gen of consoles is old.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
I'm sorry, Rockstar North isn't capable of making a bad game at this point. As a fan of theirs for a decade plus I can tell you right now that they've never even developed a mediocre game, much less a bad one.

Seriously, if GTAV is bad (and we're talking bad bad here, people like to ***** about IV and I think they're full-on-pants-on-head-over-helmet-retarded) I will eat my hat.

And it's a super plastic hat from back to the future, so I'm pretty sure that shit will kill me.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I don't see how it could suck, (or at least depending on perspective, suck significantly more than the rest). No GTA game since 3 has done enough to change the formula to risk failing relative to it's predecessor.

The maps change, features come and go and mechanics are jiggered with and the storylines are always kinda lame. But for better or worse every GTA entry has always felt like more of the same to me.

I don't really see GTA 5 as looking any different. A little prettier? Sure. A new map? New stuff? Yep. A lame story? Probably. A more or less solid gameplay experience consistent with prior entries? Can't see why not.

Otherwise, likely relatively similar game mechanics in a generally similar game. I simply don't see what they could do to turn it into a complete fuckup when they're doing pretty much the same thing that's been working forever and still appears to appeal to people as well as it ever has.

The 3 playable character thing is new, but don't really see that being a deal breaker either way.

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
i doubt that a gta title will "suck" in a 2/10 kind of way.
i was really disappointed in gta 4 in a lack of side missions humor insane stunts and whatnot but i enjoyed the story a lot! so i'll get my hopes up in a gta san andreas sort of follow up...
(1st post on this forum whoo!)

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
There's a 1% chance of GTAV failing, consideri- wait... you can parachute jump from a bike? Forget it, there's no chance at all.

choreo

Jan 29, 2009
I just don't think it's possible. I imagine there may end be things that are annoying about the game, as with GTA IV and Roman calling you every 10 mins to go bowling, but overall I'm sure it's going to be the most important release of this generation and we'll all still be playing it well into the new generation's lifetime.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:
Well, GTA IV was one of the most boring games I think I've played in my life.
I certainly won't be bothering with V.

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.
GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
Fuck no, it was a boring , repetitive game with nothing to do.
I can honestly say that playing it was the most bored I've ever been with a game.

I hated everything about it, from its brown blurry look to its annoying characters,the boring minigames, its uninteresting story... what else?...that's it, not the complaints, that's basically all it has to offer,it is a boring stripped down, barebones sandbox game.

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
What if?

Ok, let's put it this way. I play Fallout: New Vegas, that came out in 2009, four freaking years ago. It already looks better - graphically speaking - than either Saints Row 4 or GTA 5. And it's four years old. Skyrim came out in 2010 and it looks a LOT better at 3 years old. So if we assume the people buying GTA5 (I'm not, never got into the whole gang thing. I don't even like the gangs in Deus Ex 3 and all I have to do with them is kill them.) are in it for the graphics, then it will bomb, 100%.

If these people are in it for the music or the culture, then it'll do well, so no chance of failure.

But considering the previous success of the series and how awful the GTA4 graphics were, I'd say the crowd that likes this just likes the gameplay. So it'll sell well.

What if? Not gonna happen.

However, if somehow a temporal vortex opened in high orbit and sucked all of Compton into space? Well...I'd be selling my Rockstar stock, if I had any. Without its small, loyal audience, GTA as a series would be doomed. And I can't think of any audience for any of Rockstar's games that is composed of many other people, so the company as a whole would be hosed.

Rockstar would be wise to pay those gang voice actors very highly. They REALLY need them and their culture to stay alive.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
chuckdm said:
What if?

Ok, let's put it this way. I play Fallout: New Vegas, that came out in 2009, four freaking years ago. It already looks better - graphically speaking - than either Saints Row 4 or GTA 5. And it's four years old. Skyrim came out in 2010 and it looks a LOT better at 3 years old. So if we assume the people buying GTA5 (I'm not, never got into the whole gang thing. I don't even like the gangs in Deus Ex 3 and all I have to do with them is kill them.) are in it for the graphics, then it will bomb, 100%.

If these people are in it for the music or the culture, then it'll do well, so no chance of failure.

But considering the previous success of the series and how awful the GTA4 graphics were, I'd say the crowd that likes this just likes the gameplay. So it'll sell well.

What if? Not gonna happen.

However, if somehow a temporal vortex opened in high orbit and sucked all of Compton into space? Well...I'd be selling my Rockstar stock, if I had any. Without its small, loyal audience, GTA as a series would be doomed. And I can't think of any audience for any of Rockstar's games that is composed of many other people, so the company as a whole would be hosed.

Rockstar would be wise to pay those gang voice actors very highly. They REALLY need them and their culture to stay alive.
I'd say unmodded GTA 4 > unmodded skyrim for graphics on PC :p In fact, GTA 4 looks pretty good on PC, as does saints row 4. Doesn't matter, of course, because they shot themselves in the foot with a .50 cal by making GTA 4 use GFWL.

But aside from that tangent, i agree. People buy GTA because of its gameplay and story/humour.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
They got away with Vice City, a game featuring horribly broken and scripted missions (racing missions and that damn helicopter level anyone?) and it's still one of the best rated and most well liked games of all-time for whatever reason. I think they can get away with anything at this point, if he world is huge and filled with things to to, nobody will care if major aspects is completely broken, not even critics.

captcha: Gone Fishing
very odd, considering i just popped Bad day to go fishing in my dvd player.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This is a good post.

I'm not buying GTAV after getting GTAIV and getting bored with it. Some of my friends thought I was mad when I told them this, but I was set in my mind. I hated the driving, which felt more like torturous work than fun, that not even playing the radio could ease. Besides that it felt like Rockstar had spent ages giving players all these little distractions to do in the game, but you had to search for them. Because of this, I never scratched the surface of GTAIV when the whole game started to feel like busy work. Also had a bad check-pointing system.

I'm sorry to those who dig GTA, but I can't go there again as Rockstar's realism doesn't always equal fun IMO.

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
Kittyhawk said:
I hated the driving, which felt more like torturous work than fun
to be honest i don't get this.
the driving was part of the fun because the map was huge (like san andreas) and 4 just gave you a cab. i NEVER did drive myself anywhere. i just called a cab got there shot ppl and got a cab back to the save house.
at first i felt like it was saving me time (wich it totally did) but then i realised it took part of the experience i was hoping for.

still the mechanics of fighting and the story were awesome to me.
but you take away insane stunts, fun weapons(gta 4 had like 5 guns?!), side missions and so on and you ruin a gta game.
especially after a game like san andreas.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
If Gta 5 sucks, well... some bright internet reviewer will be able to make a funny review on it some years later and shoot to fame!
In all seriousness, I don't think it will suck like THAT.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Through what I've seen from the playthrough someone on Game Anyone (xXKurantXx) is doing of GTA V (he got a reviewers copy) the game looks like a lot of fun and I'd love to get it.

Although if it does suck it would hopefully show Rockstar and other companies that you don't need a giant budget coming close to that of a feature film to make a great game.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Miroluck said:
If Gta 5 sucks, well... some bright internet reviewer will be able to make a funny review on it some years later and shoot to fame!
In all seriousness, I don't think it will suck like THAT.
We have Yahtzee for that sorta criticism, but from what I remember, he actually enjoyed GTA4, so he may well enjoy this one.

That is, if Trevor is Yahtzee's sorta character. Seriously, Trevor better be as awesome as the trailers suggest. Seeing his dirty demeanour and flushing a foot down a freaking toilet made me glad I'd preordered.