What if GTAV sucks?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I haven't enjoyed GTA4 as much as I regard it the messiah of sandbox games, I found it rather bland and boring. I had to slog through the story to finish it. Started to hate Niko with a passion.

Regarding GTA5, if it sucks, which is not likely because R* has been working on it for at least 5+ years then it won't be the end of the world.

Regarding myself about the title, it really depends if R* does in fact want to port the game to PC and "bundle" it for next gen as well alongside the PC port then I'm only interested if it takes to a maximum of 6 months. Any more than that and I really don't care for it anymore.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Despite reviews GTA IV was one of the most worst games I played of that time with bland missions with simulated social friends between each mission. It was an excellent tech demo, however it was not a very fun game and I loved every GTA I played till then.

I'm sure the new one will be more of the same, really impressive, some great technical feats but won't be much fun, to me anyway.

jdavies655

Apr 5, 2013
shootthebandit said:
im so confident that if GTA V sucks I will eat my own left nut

Its very unlikely that it will suck, I mean VERY unlikely given the expense of this game, the experience and resources available to rockstar not to mention they have a very proven track record and the series has an unprecedented loyal fan base
by whose standards does it have to suck by? if everyone else hates it but you like it does it suck?

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
let's look at the chart and figure out shall we:

awhhh well, get to your doomsday bunkers boys and girls because the gamer community is about to go insane.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's hard to see that happening. 6/10 mediocrity I could see: their reach exceeds their grasp, the new mechanics become cumbersome, the expanded city and characters either prove more shallow than people had hoped or demand the player's attention in ways that become a burden. It would still sell, and there would be people bitterly defending the much-loved franchise, and others decrying it as the death of modern gaming.

But 2/10? At that mark, you're talking about something that fails on a very basic level, and I think Rockstar knows how to make a game by now. If they were putting that alleged $260-odd million into their game and it was in danger of being a 2 out of 10, I think they'd recognize it and push back the release date. Too much is at stake for them to do otherwise.

(By way of contrast, Duke Nukem Forever was a crap game, and I don't think even it deserved 2/10. 3/10, maybe...)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Rockstar has not made a bad game in the last 2 generations (for me anyway).
Manhunt 2?!

Anyway, I won't care. I'm not really hyped for this game. If it ends up being good, I'll probably get it, just like the last one (which I actually liked a lot). Personally, I hope they keep with the general tone of IV. Okay, they can lighten up a bit but TBH, it told a really awesome crime story that had many emotional choices and some truly amazing missions. Leave the silliness to Saints Row, we don't need two games trying to make the same thing.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Suck? No, it won't suck.

Say what you want about Rockstar's narratives (looking at you Max Payne 3), their games are always stellar in the gameplay department. So in that regard alone, it'll still get rave reviews.

But even ignoring all of that, GTA has built up such a colossal following that even if it's underwhelming, it will still sell more than enough to make a sizeable profit and have rabid fanboys defending its grandeur.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
GTA 4 wasn't very good, but we're all still here. Eh? Eh?

BAH-DUM, tss

Seriously though, 5 looks great. And even though I didn't care much for 4 I still played the hell out of it. Saw it through to completion and that clocked in about 130 hours of game time. No small feat in the industry as it stands today. Only other GTA games and maybe Saints Row 2 can boast 100+ hours of gameplay for me. Well and Fallout 3, maybe the first Halo.

It's rare in other words.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Weaver said:
shootthebandit said:
Weaver said:
Well, GTA IV was one of the most boring games I think I've played in my life.
I certainly won't be bothering with V.

IMO: Boring is worse than bad. At least bad is funny. At least bad you can enjoy with a perverted enjoyment of what a train wreck everything is.
GTA IV was far from boring, granted the world wasnt as engaging as previous GTAs and there wasnt much to do outside missions but it was still far from a "bad" or "boring" game. It was poor by GTA standards but overall it was a good game
It's good to know my subjective opinion on what bores me is completely invalidated because someone says so.
I wasn't claiming the game was boring for everyone, but it was boring for me.
You're subjective opinion was presented with absolutely no explanation, leaving it hard for people who've actually played the game to understand where you're coming from.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Generic4me said:
So my question is, what if it sucks?

Not like is 6/10 meh, like 2/10, this game is horrible, glitchy, boring, ugly, the whole shebang.
If it sucks, then it sucks.

What else would happen? I mean, honestly. Games that suck... suck. And that's the end of it. You know what happened to Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines?

That's what would happen.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It won't be 2/10 bad. There is literally no chance of that happening. There's too much money being thrown at it and its being done by a studio that's been doing it for a VERY long time. What MIGHT happen is something like Total War: Rome 2 - despite an experienced team and a big budget, the game is rushed out the door half-finished and in a terrible state, coasting on fanboys and promises of patches.

That being said, I don't care either way personally. I never was into the whole GTA thing, beyond the first game. The more "realistic" they tried to make it, the less interesting I found it. Likely the reason why I started liking Saint's Row with the third game and loved the fourth...

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Jandau said:
It won't be 2/10 bad. There is literally no chance of that happening. There's too much money being thrown at it and its being done by a studio that's been doing it for a VERY long time. What MIGHT happen is something like Total War: Rome 2 - despite an experienced team and a big budget, the game is rushed out the door half-finished and in a terrible state, coasting on fanboys and promises of patches.

Literally took the post right out of my fingers.

GTA V is in GREAT danger of pulling a Rome 2. Releasing a game that feels or plays like an unfinished copy is bad decorum, regardless of any previous hall of fame ( Poor Creative Assembly must be deep in their drink at seeing Rome 2 getting a 4.2 user metascore. )

But HOPEFULLY, the sheer amount of money being poured into the game will stop a "Rome 2" event so to speak. And if not, its time to start wondering where that frankly obscene amount of money went.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I wouldn't much care.

The only Rockstar-game I have had interest in was Red Dead Redemption and even that I stopped playing at some point.

If I hear good things about GTA V that make it sound interesting to me, I might check it out.

My problem with GTA IV was that it was somewhere between wacky fantasy and grim realism and the latter just made me sad when the game wanted me to feel former and distracted when it wanted me to care about the realism.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Lictor Face said:
Jandau said:

Literally took the post right out of my fingers.

GTA V is in GREAT danger of pulling a Rome 2. Releasing a game that feels or plays like an unfinished copy is bad decorum, regardless of any previous hall of fame ( Poor Creative Assembly must be deep in their drink at seeing Rome 2 getting a 4.2 user metascore. )

But HOPEFULLY, the sheer amount of money being poured into the game will stop a "Rome 2" event so to speak. And if not, its time to start wondering where that frankly obscene amount of money went.
The one thing in favor of GTA5 is that Rockstar is both the developer and the publisher (as far as I know), while Rome 2 likely suffered from SEGA dictating unrealistic deadlines on Creative Assembly, as well as forcing them into the DLC bullshit that they seem to be going for...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I can't see GTA V sucking to be honest, maybe to the PC only people because they are impatient and even if the game comes to them they will most likely call it a bad port as always.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
meh it will always suck to me, Im not interested in its gangsta crap in the slightest so for me the world keeps turning and I get a few less pointless conversations in the years to come.

beez

May 21, 2013
If R* took the time to optimize adequately for both platforms (since they told us the screenshots came from the PS3, I guess they did?), I don't think they are going to fail. While I don't like the 3-characters-in-one aspect, I do think the writing will be top notch, as it's been since GTA3. The few lines in the trailer pointed to good writing so they have to just keep it up. I know everybody's excited, but don't over-complicate things.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A few people will reconsider preordering and buying without thinking. The rest of us will look on with amusement. A largish audience will enjoy and defend it anyway. Review sites will be split between reviews that were written previously to beat the other sites to the punch or in optimism or with incentive, and reviews that tell it how it is. Rockstar would take some damage, but would be redeemed with patches or if the next game is better. Their catalogue is pretty good.

No experience went into this post.