What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Uhm, I wouldn't mind?

In Norway, we have mandatory military service.

Edit: Oh right, it's called conscription.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Depends on their reasons. As long as they are not stupid and act like they are somehow heroes for choosing that job or buying into the whole patriotism garbage then I would not care.
If they treat it as just a job path they want then fine. Its their choice. But any sort of petty inflated ego and I would tear them down a peg or two.
If they are doing for career reasons (you can do quite well with technical training from the air force) or a desire to do some good in their life, I'd give them my blessings then spend every day panicked that they were dead.

If they'd just bought into government propaganda I'd lock them in the basement and consider myself a failure as a parent.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I myself plan to join the military and possibly die for defending something of worth.

If I'd survive a good enough time to get a family, and for my children to get raised and ask for being in the military... Than fine.

But I'd want to control all of their missions until they get a high enough rank if I happened to be a General at that point.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
If I ever have kids, it'll be their choice. The Finnish army only takes part in peacekeeping missions too, so I wouldn't be worried about my children being sent off to fight a war under false pretense. (Assuming that doesn't change. The Finnish army isn't large enough for warfare anyway)

As said; I'm Finnish, which means mandatory military service. I'm joining up in January, and I plan on making a career out of it. My parents are fine with it, and support me. Then again my stepdad's active in the army reserve... *shrug*

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
"Here have some ammo!"
no I'd be fine they have their own life and I don't want to discourage them.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
If I had kids, and (s)he wanted to join the armed forces, for their own reasons, I would support that. Yes, there's a more inherent risk with the job more than others, and it would most likely involve with long stretches away, but if that's their choice, it's their choice to make.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'd talk to my child first and ask him/her if he/she really wants to pick this as a career path. Regardless of whatever choice, it's their life and I'll support them.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Ideally, I'd be a good enough father that I wouldn't have kids that delusional.
However, I would be proud that their convictions were strong enough that they'd willingly die for their beliefs.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I HAVE KIDS NOW! why did i not realise, well i wouldnt be to happy but i wouldnt stop them or anything.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'd hate it, I'd hate it so much. I've seen so many dickhead squadies and to think that my kid would be one of them. Moreover the fact that he could die, or get a leg blown off.

I'd still let him do it, but I'd hate it every day.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
How you know I wouldn't send them off to military school myself?

Damn kids better not turn out to be pansies, if I hear them crying about being picked on in school just once, OFF they GO!

>=)