What is the dumbest case of fandom infighting you have ever seen?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Strain42 said:
MegaTen fans have some of the dumbest instances of in-fighting I've ever seen.

You've got the people who only like the Shin Megami Tensei series and hate all the Persona players...

and then you've got MORE in-fighting amongst the Persona players between people who liked P1/P2 and think those who came in with P3/P4 are ruining the series for everyone...and then you've also got JUST the P4 people who fight against everyone else, ever, trying to claim the the Megami Tensei franchise will never have a more precious jewel than P4.

MegaTen fans are nuts. There are layers upon layers of in-fighting and hatred amongst us. We're like a big onion of hate and hurt feelings.
Where did you see this? The only place where I've ever seen those games discussed is here on the Escapist, where everyone either says (MegaTen Game) is such an awesome RPG, or doesn't say anything because he hasn't played it.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The_Echo said:
Queen Michael said:
Whether Aeris should be called Aeris or Aerith. Her name in the actual game is Aeris. Quod erat motherfucking demonstrandum.
Well, see... that is why people fight over it. Because people who played FFVII back then keep holding onto it.

Because she's only Aeris in the localized version of FFVII. And I hope both you and I can agree that the translating work in FFVII was not exactly top-notch, her name notwithstanding. In the Japanese FFVII manual, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts and wherever else since FFVII, she has been named Aerith.
It's true that the FFVII localization was far from perfect, but that's still what her name is in it. And concerning the Japanese manual... Well, the Japanese director of the Hellsing anime insisted that the protagonist's name had to be Arucard and not Alucard, because "otherwise it won't be Dracura backwards!" I don't trust Japanese people to actually know enough English to determine that kind of thing unless I've seen some clear evidence that the people in charge know what they're doing.

And Kingdom Hearts does not count as far as I'm concerned -- it's a game with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in it. That doesn't exactly scream "official canon!"

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Ikasury said:
word bro... though i think the only thing that gets worse or as bad as those trenchs is over in Naruto where its either Naruto x Sakura, Sakura x Sasuke, Naruto x Sasuke, Naruto x Hinata, Hinata x Sasuke, Hinata x Sakura... etc. etc. etc. and it gets downright bloody... and that's only FOUR people out of the cast... where the ships are effectively EVERYONE X EVERYONE... RUN FOR THE HILLS!!
I don't ship in Naruto... because for a ship to be appealing, both the male and female halves have to be good characters, and Kishi has trouble with his wimmins, but I do know that NaruSaku vs NaruHina is a pretty bloody battlefield...a fact not helped at all by Kishi's love for trolling the shipping community. I only really interact with the HetShippers, since yaoi fangirls are a whole different level of obsessive, so I only speak from my own experience, though. In the case of shipping in Naruto, it doesn't help

Really, when it comes to het shipping, that's where the big schism always goes. The most violent fans go for either "Main character x the action girl" or "main character x the girly girl" and become violently opposed to the other.

i'll just stick to my little boat and scurry on under the radar... as i'm sure my ships are either 'obvious' along with canon or just crack in my head... and i'm okay with that ._.
that's the best way to ship, I reckon. XD I don't mean to give shippers a bad name. Most of them are just passionate fans, same as anyone else, and it's a fun little group to hang out in. It just has a dark underbelly, same as anywhere else.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Queen Michael said:
It's true that the FFVII localization was far from perfect, but that's still what her name is in it. And concerning the Japanese manual... Well, the Japanese director of the Hellsing anime insisted that the protagonist's name had to be Arucard and not Alucard, because "otherwise it won't be Dracura backwards!" I don't trust Japanese people to actually know enough English to determine that kind of thing unless I've seen some clear evidence that the people in charge know what they're doing.
Well, I don't think it's fair to say "this one Japanese guy can't into English, so these guys probably can't either."

That said, neither "Aeris" nor "Aerith" are exactly English names. Not to mention "Aerith" is an anagram for "I, Earth" which works thematically.

And Kingdom Hearts does not count as far as I'm concerned -- it's a game with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in it. That doesn't exactly scream "official canon!"
No, not exactly. But the FF guest characters do retain their original names.

Plus having her name be Aerith in other FFVII materials, it seems--though nobody at Square has officially said so as far as I know--that "Aeris" was definitely a mistake on the translator's part. Which, given the rest of the translation, I think holds some weight.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The_Echo said:
Plus having her name be Aerith in other FFVII materials, it seems--though nobody at Square has officially said so as far as I know--that "Aeris" was definitely a mistake on the translator's part. Which, given the rest of the translation, I think holds some weight.
Her name was Aeris in Final Fantasy Tactics, though. So it's not like it's just one game.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
balladbird said:
Ikasury said:
word bro... though i think the only thing that gets worse or as bad as those trenchs is over in Naruto where its either Naruto x Sakura, Sakura x Sasuke, Naruto x Sasuke, Naruto x Hinata, Hinata x Sasuke, Hinata x Sakura... etc. etc. etc. and it gets downright bloody... and that's only FOUR people out of the cast... where the ships are effectively EVERYONE X EVERYONE... RUN FOR THE HILLS!!
I don't ship in Naruto... because for a ship to be appealing, both the male and female halves have to be good characters, and Kishi has trouble with his wimmins, but I do know that NaruSaku vs NaruHina is a pretty bloody battlefield...a fact not helped at all by Kishi's love for trolling the shipping community. I only really interact with the HetShippers, since yaoi fangirls are a whole different level of obsessive, so I only speak from my own experience, though. In the case of shipping in Naruto, it doesn't help

Really, when it comes to het shipping, that's where the big schism always goes. The most violent fans go for either "Main character x the action girl" or "main character x the girly girl" and become violently opposed to the other.

i'll just stick to my little boat and scurry on under the radar... as i'm sure my ships are either 'obvious' along with canon or just crack in my head... and i'm okay with that ._.
that's the best way to ship, I reckon. XD I don't mean to give shippers a bad name. Most of them are just passionate fans, same as anyone else, and it's a fun little group to hang out in. It just has a dark underbelly, same as anywhere else.
dear lord the Yaoi/Yuri shippers can be some of the worst... just because most of the time the only reason they 'ship' is because they themselves like both parties and not that either actually... interact... or anything... i have nothing against Yaoi/Yuri, just their fans are quite... 'eccentric'? ._. i'm quite the Haruka/Michiru from Sailor Moon fan... but i digress, THAT ship makes sense... things like Sasu/Ita or Kaka/Iru... erm... wha? x,x

i'm all for crack shipping (seriously i have probably the weirdest ship for bleach that started as a joke and ended up just running with it as it was the only thing keeping me sane while reading that thing... KomaSoi btw... XD) but there's no way i'm going to get so serious as to upheaval the world or threaten the creator... its just funny... but oh lord... the trenches... oh the trenches of shipping wars x.x

... and just to say, i can't call Sakura an 'action girl' as much as she seems to think/want to be... sorry, when you FUCK-UP that much... no, just no... i will take the Filler-Only Guren as 'Lady of War' or even that dimwitted chick all over the sluggy guy as real Action Girls before Sakura... ._. Tenten... ya know its probably better she's off screen more often then not... can't really fuck up that way XD

but yes... shipping... the most dangerous/insane of forum subjects :p

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
LetalisK said:
This keeps getting brought up, but what does shipping mean in this context? I keep thinking of an oil tanker and that is just plain silly.
Ship- fandom slang for 'relationship' :p

started with Spirk (Kirk/Spock) back from original Star Trek, the origin of fanfiction by the way, and over time it has evolved and morphed to cover all of the internet like plague... because no matter the generation, there are teenage girls and boys that become so invested in a series they aren't satisfied with the forlorn looks and minute details, and start setting things out in their head... thus forming 'ships', IE: Kataang, Zutara, etc. etc.

i swear creators of series LOVE shippers, as they will keep a series alive with only their passionate burning drive to prove their 'ship' is the best... and CANON!! and will only be vindicated by CANON!! and even then, if they aren't canon, they will resist, keeping it in mind and continuing the endless siege of the internet with their insanity... and thus the war continues~

that about sum it up? :D

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Saetha said:
Legion said:
Saetha said:
A bit of a generalisation, but I have certainly seen the worst kinds you describe.

I think the funniest one I have seen was Adam Jensen and Francis Prittchard from Deus Ex Human Revolution. Whereas the strangest ones are where the two characters are not even from the same work of fiction.
Yeah, I know I can be a bit... vicious in my thoughts on shipping, as well as Tumblr and it's fandom culture in general, really. I try to remember that it's probably mostly sane, rational people getting drowned out by the vocal minority, and that I get a little fan-girly myself sometimes, so I'm not in the best place to judge. Still though... I just get burned out so easily by the whole environment.

And oh, I've seen weirder fic. I've seen Dean Winchester shipped with his car. As in, a demon possessed his car, took on the form of Idris Elba (Of all people) and proceeded to... dance the vertical tango with Dean. That was... a weird day.

But yeah, the crossover fics are weird. Like, shipping characters who have chemisty (Or who you atleast think have chemistry) is one thing. Taking characters who have never interacted with each other, who never will interact with each other, and putting them together? That's just... creepy and weird, to be honest. Not to mention all the "OmegaVerse" stuff.
i've probably read the most horrifying lemon in the universe... Sovereign/Harbinger... in giant robot spider tentacally form ._. it is burned in my memory and i can't wipe it away...

and we can't help i think as a species, we're geared towards 'procreation' and since our society makes quite a bit of deal on 'love' and 'being together' and pretty much every story every told is a love story somewhere, our primitive monkey brains que in on it and just let the idea fester and run wild...

there's a good number of shippers that are... 'sane', as in not burning the forums to the ground, can take criticism and able to accept canon... others... others are the horrors that mutilate characters, ruin plots, and leave you a blank soulless husk if you do not agree with them wholeheartedly ._.

the horrors...

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
How to pronounce "gif". It's clearly jif, like Girafe or Jelly. The inventor says so.
The inventor is wrong.

The Halo Fandom, oh my God the Halo fandom. Shit hit the fan with Halo: REACH and it hasn't stopped oscillating.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Strain42 said:

You've got the people who only like the Shin Megami Tensei series and hate all the Persona players...

and then you've got MORE in-fighting amongst the Persona players between people who liked P1/P2 and think those who came in with P3/P4 are ruining the series for everyone...and then you've also got JUST the P4 people who fight against everyone else, ever, trying to claim the the Megami Tensei franchise will never have a more precious jewel than P4.

MegaTen fans are nuts. There are layers upon layers of in-fighting and hatred amongst us. We're like a big onion of hate and hurt feelings.
Where did you see this? The only place where I've ever seen those games discussed is here on the Escapist, where everyone either says (MegaTen Game) is such an awesome RPG, or doesn't say anything because he hasn't played it.
GameFAQs, Siliconera, YouTube, Facebook, even a few Tweets, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also on sites I don't use like NeoGAF or Kotaku. I admit The Escapist does seem a bit calmer regarding MegaTen infighting, but trust me...it's out there. I've seen it. I've been caught in the crossfire, and trust me, it ain't pretty.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Strain42 said:
sageoftruth said:
Strain42 said:

GameFAQs, Siliconera, YouTube, Facebook, even a few Tweets, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also on sites I don't use like NeoGAF or Kotaku. I admit The Escapist does seem a bit calmer regarding MegaTen infighting, but trust me...it's out there. I've seen it. I've been caught in the crossfire, and trust me, it ain't pretty.
I'll do my best to keep my morbid curiosity in check for now.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
With the release of the ruby and sapphire remakes the pokemon fanbase and anything to do with which generation sucks and which ruined the series which no sense because it still makes buckets of money. Apparently you have to objectively hate a generation which is just crazy. "Generation 2 is best gen Chikorita for life"

To goes along side with Smogon and the competitive space which is hilarious to watch.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
newfoundsky said:
Evil Smurf said:
How to pronounce "gif". It's clearly jif, like Girafe or Jelly. The inventor says so.
The inventor is wrong.

The Halo Fandom, oh my God the Halo fandom. Shit hit the fan with Halo: REACH and it hasn't stopped oscillating.
Seconded. He may have invented it but calling it a jif is retarded. It's a Graphic Interchange Format, not a Jraphic Interchange Format. God, read a book gif inventor (cookie for the reference)

OT

Star Wars v Star Wars Extended Universe fans...wow.

I love a good flame war, it's usually funny as hell to see people get all worked up over something that really doesn't matter.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Right now it's marvel fangirls. they are arguing that 'oh Harry Osborn is just like Bucky Barnes!' AND I WANT TO RIP THOSE IDIOTS HEADS OFF BECAUSE THEY NEVER CAN BE MUCH MORE WRONG.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Diddy_Mao said:
Objectable said:
Frenzy is Red, Rumble is blue!
or the other way around.
Trukk not Munkey!
I haven't heard that one since the time people connected to the internet using dial-up. (a.k.a the '90s).

I think today most Transformers fans recognize Beast Wars as a succesful series and a worthy addition to the TF universe.

But I may be wrong. I'm not a hardcore TF fan, and maybe the failure of the Bayformers reignited the old "G1 purists" spark (no pun intended). Although to be accurate, Beast Wars is part of the G1 continuity, and the main target of fan hate is, again, Michael Bay's desecration of the Transformers.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
One of the largest was the MST3K Joel vs Mike flame wars that went on on Usenet in the 90s.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Meriatressia said:
One of the worst was a really stupid thing were some idiots said brute Splicers in BioShock 2 are gay.
This is a giant splicer, who took a lot of psysical plasmids. It's macho. It's quite clearly a macho male who tried to be more macho with plasmids.
conforming to ideas of "masculine and feminine" are not fullproof indicators of somones sexuality..the male gay compuntiy I belive as a term for "bear"

[quote/]But somehow, this masculine being, is gay. They somehow think the traits of a masculine man, are gay. All of them. They really think that all the brute splicers are gay. Which is statistically immpossible.
No, it's a a macho man who made himself bigger. That's it. It's quite blatantly a heavy, thuggish, splicer.[/quote]

I don't know what their reasons were but I think youre getting way too worked up over this, and misunderstanding why they might think the brute splicers are gay (it could be a joke, an interpretation or their own sex fantasy)

[quote/]The worst was someone who drew a female brute splicer, with a tiny handbag and girly things. Who somehow did'nt grasp that if a person was lesbian, they probabely display normal female things or masculine things.
And someone who becomes a brute splicer is deliberately trying to make themselves bigger. They don't care about stereotypical female things. There's plasmids to make a female prettier, they'd take them if they wanted to be girly.[/quote]

ummm...not everyone conforms to the butch/femme dychotomy...

[quote/]The increasingly desperate and pathetic arguments they come up with are cretinously moronic.

It's even more moronic when splicers live in Rapture, a place that does'nt care about the usual predujices of the 40s and 50s. A lesbian or homosexual would have no problem being open about it. There would be no hiding it.[/quote]

thats...interestng...being open about it doesn't change where somone lands on the masculine/femminine spectrum though

[quote/]This is disturbing, because, some people clearly think that masculine things are gay now.[/quote]

no....they don't

[quote/]A man can't be macho, without being a closet gay. A character is manly and masculine. And some moron thinks they are gay. They can't just be a straight man.
That is fucked up.[/quote]
defining others sexuality for them is annoying for EVERYONE yes, I think jokes about certain guys being "closeted gays" is often some of the loudest detractors of homosexuality turn out to be gay themselves...add that with this idea of "being a man" sometimes does not allow men to be comfortable with their masculinity and insteas have to constantly prove it through not showing emotion and being homophobic leads to "compensating jokes"

[quote/]This romanticisation of lesbians and gays has gone way too far.[/quote]
uh....huuuuh

[quote/]The most fucked up thing in fandoms is shipping and slashwork. And changing the sexuality of characters for no reason.
Especially when a character is very straight or very lesbian or gay, etc.

Boone in Fallout New Vegas, of all people, get's turned gay! Boone was married to a woman, he is a very straight, serious, man, who adored his wife. But no, some idiots turn him gay.

Adam Jenson could'nt be more straight if he tried. He was with Megan for years. He is a awesome, manly, man.
But no, there's a load of morons who make him gay and with that richardhead Francis Pritchard.

Both are very straight men.[/quote]

it is somtimes dumb when they subvert a charchter for their own ends...HOWEVER it really isn't a big deal because it stays on the fan fic sites (as it should) and everyone KNOWS its just fantasy....nothing more nothing less, and really not worth getting in a huff over.We like to see charachters we like get it on and somtimes in alighment with our own preferences.....so yeah Elsa and Anna from frozen getting it on is actually pretty weird because they are sisters but if we put that aside in fanfic/rule 34 land everything goes..and its all good.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
x EvilErmine x said:
God, read a book gif inventor (cookie for the reference)
Archer.

And on that topic, neither/both are right. Because it's the English language, and the English language is too cool to even stick to it's own rules. Say it how you want, I'm sticking with the assertion that arguing about it is as idiotic as arguing about the pronunciation of anything else in that damned language.