What is The Escapist reading?

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
TheDist said:
I am currently reading a scanner darkly by Philip K Dick. :)
That book is great.

I'm reading "Forgotten Voices of the Second World War", compiled by Max Arthur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Voices_of_the_Second_World_War

tredecim

Aug 25, 2010
Third book of the "1st Law" series by Joe Abercrombie. Actually a lot better than I'd expected when I started reading the series.

Got and finished the new Pratchett (I Shall Wear Midnight) in between the 2nd and 3rd books - I read it in a few hours, as I always do with new PTerry work, and will probably read it again after finishing the one I'm on.

Also enjoying the "Dresden Files" series by Jim Butcher, and looking forward to the forthcoming Wheel of Time book with great anticipation. Penultimate Book FTW!

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

6 more novels to go and I have read all 38 of them:)

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
I've just finished Stephen King's IT, and now I'm reading the Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. Though I should really check out this Horus Heresy series, sounds pretty good.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I picked up the Elder Scrolls novel a couple of weeks ago (The Infernal City, by Greg Keyes), although I haven't got around to reading it yet. I'll be without a computer for about a week from this coming Monday, so I'll get onto it then.

Probably worth mentioning that it's not my usual genre of literature. I just bought it 'cos I'm a massive Oblivion fan-tard. *shrug*

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'm reading Dune at the moment. I'm loving the book but its taking way longer than it should to read it because I keep procrastinating, I should have finished it by now damnit.

tredecim

Aug 25, 2010
bleachigo10 said:
I'm reading Dune at the moment. I'm loving the book but its taking way longer than it should to read it because I keep procrastinating, I should have finished it by now damnit.
Is it your first time reading it?

It's a great book, but not one to rush through. Take it slowly and savour it :)

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
'The House of Chains', which is book number 4 in Steven Erikson's 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen' series. Very good. Can't decide whether it is better than 'A Song of Ice and Fire' yet, seeing as I'm not even half done with the books that are published so far, but it is still amazing. It can definitely be recommended if you enjoy quality fantasy literature.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
I have a bit of a gothic horror obsession at the moment, recently read Dracula and also The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I will have to wait a while to pick something else up (probably Frankenstein) so I'm rereading World War Z. If I had the money, I'd also buy the 31 Pratchett books that I have yet to read.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I'm re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. While it's not exactly an original choice, it's still amazing.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
orangebandguy said:
I myself am reading The Horus Heresy series. I'm currently on Flight of the Eisenstein.
How is that? I'm a fan of 40K (and have been since Rogue Trader days) but I've heard mixed reactions about the novelizations of the most intriguing portion of space marine history.

I don't usually read sci-fi (except for maybe Robert Rankin, RA Wilson, and Douglas Adams... okay, I guess I do like sci-fi books, if you count them) but I've really gotten into one a friend has written, it should be out early next year.

I'll probably pick up Mogworld next.

Jernau

Nov 20, 2009
orangebandguy said:
I myself am reading The Horus Heresy series. I'm currently on Flight of the Eisenstein.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel

Probably one of the greatest 21st century works of fiction, I personally feel that it emblematic of everything that our current society wants in a book. Or at the least western society.

It harks back to ancient romanticized ideals in the 18th century while also having an immersive plot, interesting and believable characters, comedy, tragedy, war and loss all without feeling rushed. It cleverly comments on modern society and the idea of modernity itself without being self-righteous.

I know I'm gushing but this is probably my favourite book of all time, definitely my deseert island novel.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
orangebandguy said:
Funnily enough, I am also reading the Horus Heresy series, currently about 40 pages from the end of A Thousand Sons, then I'll have Nemesis to read >.>
They are good books...
"Nemesis" was a good read, you should enjoy it too. :D

As for myself, I'm busying cracking the first book in the "Gaunts Ghost's" series by Dan Abnett and so for I'm loving it.

yoz13

Mar 17, 2010
well I'm reading the short stories in the necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft, on and off pretty good stuff

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I've just started reading The Silmarillion and i'm too not far into Skulldugery Pleasant.

El Poncho said:
Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

6 more novels to go and I have read all 38 of them:)
I was thinking about starting on Terry Pratchett, would you reccomend them?

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
I'm reading this:

http://deadhorseinterchange.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mr_Montmorency

It's pretty much all I read when I run out of Geekologie and Cracked. The whole wiki, I mean, not just this article.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
British Rifle Man: The Journals and Correspondence of Major George Simmons, Rifle Brigade During the Peninsular War and Campaign of Waterloo

Its a really good book basically does what it says on the tin