What is The Escapist reading?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
orangebandguy said:
I myself am reading The Horus Heresy series. I'm currently on Flight of the Eisenstein.
How is that? I'm a fan of 40K (and have been since Rogue Trader days) but I've heard mixed reactions about the novelizations of the most intriguing portion of space marine history.
Welcome to the club. I've played since the first release of 2nd edition.

The novels are, in all, pretty damn good. Black Library has its best writers tackling what is, to GW, a very sensitive era. But to us who grew up wondering what the flip happened in those days, it's a godsend. That, and the little things, like seeing established characters (mostly chaotic ones) in the days when the Emperor walked among them. For example, its quite funny to see Kharn, of the betrayer fame, as the voice of reason in the World Eaters legion.

A couple of books feel a bit flat. "Battle for the Abyss" is a collection of clichés, and "Descent of Angels" doesn't even take place during the Heresy except in its final stages. But brilliant books like the first trilogy, "Flight of the Eisenstein", "Legion", or "Tales of Heresy" more than make up for it.

A funny sidenote: my very favourite story from the Heresy features almost no violence. The superb short story "The Last Church" from the "Tales of Heresy" compilation is one of the best pieces of fiction to ever come out of the Black Library, featuring a theological debate between the Emperor and a priest over a nice glass of wine.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've actually got a game tomorrow, and I gotta go pack up my army.

189-snakes

Sep 30, 2009
I'm currently in the middle of "ZigZag" which covers the exploits of World War 2 double agent Eddie Chapman.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Persuation by Jane Austen. Against my will though.

Also I Shall Wear Midnight by Pratchett.

Chicaine

Jun 7, 2010
Currently reading High Society by Ben Elton and Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Not long finished To kill a mockingbird

In my to read pile is lord of the flies, the picture of dorian grey and treasure island among other mediocre shit

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
I'm currently reading Shooter by Jack Coughlin. Really nice sniper autobiography, I love it.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo at the moment but I actually started reading it about a year ago and then stopped, I just started to pick it up again. Before that I read A Song Of Ice and Fire and loved it. If any of you want a good fantasy series pick up Book 1 of ASoIF, Game of Thrones.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I just finised getting beaten by Tolkien again and im going back to the Bartimaus Trillogy to put that beast down once and for all.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Two books actually:

The count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
and The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson

I should only be reading one at a time, but they're both so good.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
Sennz0r said:
Engarde said:
The Passage, by Justin Cronin. Its bigness makes me feel comfortable with myself.
Me too :D
It's about to get interesting too, but I left it at my apartment :(
Heh, I am nearly done it now. Quite a good book.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
EscapeGoat said:
May I recommend The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde? A wonderful re-working of Jane Eyre.
You may Mr. Root, but I'm afraid I've already beaten you to it - I've read the majority of that series, and I agree, its wonderful.

Its good to see someone else who's read that book, though. No-one I know has.

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
"The Graveyard book" by Neil Gaiman is on my plate; it's a bit jarring to switch to his novels for younger audiences but being the Gaiman cocksucker that I am I have to read it. I just barely started it though because I'm also getting all Classical and reading the complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; all the original short stories/novellas by Conan Doyle, none of the non Doyle-ian follow ups.