What is the oldest game in your collection?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Warcraft II. I was two when it came out. Still runs on Vista, amazingly. Sadly, it's not nearly as amazing as I thought it was when I was ten.

The disc went missing for about five years, too--when I was eleven or so, I hid it from my mother to prevent her from using it as a bargaining chip to get me to do my chores. I tucked in between the pages of a book, then promptly forgot about it. It remained there throughout my early teens, until I found it again two years ago.

That and Age of Empires II were the first games I ever owned.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Oldest games on CD's I have are Planescape: Torment on the PC and Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation. If you count non-physical digital distribution games that I purchased to replace old CD's, then it's probably a tie between Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and Myst since both came out in '93.

plank_man180

Jan 14, 2011
Super Mario Bros for the NES. Fully boxed and working. Cracked it out the other day for a mass gaming session. Still as beautiful as ever!

Thing is, it came out 5 years before I was born! :D

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
As far as when the game was made? Probably the PC version of FF VII, though I got it new in a re-release in '07. As for the oldest game software I own, that's likely my copy of Super Mario 64 DS I got used.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Silent Hill for the original playstation. The second oldest would be Parasite Eve for the playstation, then Parasite Eve II, than System Shock II.

Golem_the_Golem

Mar 20, 2011
Well since like everything i own is a hand me down the oldest game in my (or better my brothers) collection is sonic for the genesis (which i still love playing)

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
katsabas said:
PSone: Crash Bandicoot Warped. Still better platform game than several out there today.

PS2: Soul Reaver 2. Top notch storytelling in a gothic setting. Where's the next one, Eidos?
1) Props for Crash Bandicoot: Still a fantastic game, along with Spyro
2) Did you miss Legacy of Kain: Defiance?

As for my oldest game...well, this isn't THAT old, but I have Earthworm Jim from 1995, still on disc.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Spydercake said:
Gotta be My old Oregon Trail disk, it still works as well :3
Oh God I hated that game! We use to have to play it over and over and over again in computer lab at my elementary school. Was okay the first maybe three times, but man it got boring real quick!

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
The oldest game STILL in my collection (as in not throw away/given away/sold) is X-com UFO Defense.

Best game ever, also an excellent example of how graphics don't matter, because the game is timeless. All of the subsequent releases have had graphical improvements, which have only caused the game to suffer for it.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Ok, so I just read through the first page of this thread and now I feel really old. Is this how it happens Escapist? I lose interest in the forums for a while and suddenly I'm old? I'm not even old ffs, this is a wind up.

But people posting Xbox and PS2 games... remember when the Xbox first came out? The PS2 has already been out for a while and already killed off the Dreamcast with a shovel and Microsoft decided they'd step up to the plate. I seem to remember noone I knew bother to buy one, they were more expensive and obviously untested. Noone really gave a crap about any of the release titles until my friend told me about this game called Halo and a whole new breed of fanboy was born.

But I digress, I still have a bunch of old DOS games sitting around somewhere. Some that even refused to work on Windows 95 unless you restarted in MS-DOS or whatever. Such classics as "The Need for Speed", Championship Manager and umm... some archaic sports games. My mother didn't buy my violent video games obviously. The first one I got was the first Tomb Raider. I remember when my friend got hold of GTA. We felt so hardcore, we stayed up late playing it. We never really had any goal with that game, just tried to make awesome police chases and stuff. Ahh, memories.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Probably the original silent hill on ps1. Got it last week from a local independent store that sold it at £2.99. I feel like I robbed 'em!

I could well have older games in my around thirty-odd strong ps1 collection. The first one I remember playing when I was eight was crash bandicoot 2. That was a classic, it saddens me alot to see how bad a turn the series has taken. I was always annoyed that I never managed to find the original...

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:
Ok, so I just read through the first page of this thread and now I feel really old. Is this how it happens Escapist? I lose interest in the forums for a while and suddenly I'm old? I'm not even old ffs, this is a wind up.

But people posting Xbox and PS2 games... remember when the Xbox first came out? The PS2 has already been out for a while and already killed off the Dreamcast with a shovel and Microsoft decided they'd step up to the plate. I seem to remember noone I knew bother to buy one, they were more expensive and obviously untested. Noone really gave a crap about any of the release titles until my friend told me about this game called Halo and a whole new breed of fanboy was born.
I know I'm not the oldest by any means on here, but I do realize most our fellow escapees are late teens/ early twenties. I always find it kinda amusing when someone talks about playing games like Crash Bandicoot as a kid. I was playing it already out of college. The Dreamcast was in fact a huge drinking game system among my friends. PSX was our more serious system.

I remember saving up my allowance for the Sega Genesis when it still came with Altered Beast. Always preferred the Sega systems to Nintendo, plus my brother always got the Nintendo equivelances so we both had the best of both worlds available. I remember going into the game store and drooling over the Neo Geo when it first came out. Took me around four years to finally get one. And by then it was already dead, but I had always wanted one and found one fairly cheap at a garage sale along with several games.

I remember when Windows first came out. So annoying! Spent all those years typing everything I wanted to do, learning all the abreviations, just for some operating system to come out and change how games were made. I still tried to just stick with DOS for as long as I could. Moo.exe definitely got ran more than Win.exe!

I remember the day my uncle brought us our first IBM compatible machine. It did sooo much, sooo quickly! No more typing "run" on our old Commodore 64 and then going outside to play for an hour or two while the game loaded. No Superman nor Batman, IBM was definitely my hero as a kid.

Hehe, I remember playing Marathon on my father's Mac because it was like the ONLY game available on it. He never understood why I cried every time he'd buy me a new Might and Magic game. Never understood that meant I'd have to just read the manual for a month till it was time for me to go back home to my mom. He still has no idea.

But anywho... that's what age will do for ya'! Reminiscion for the win.