What is the weirdest movie you've seen?

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Seriously, no Memento? Or Pi?

Memento's protagonist has no long term memory and the film plays out in backwards chronological order in usually about five minute sections. Written/Directed by Christopher Nolan if you hadn't already guessed.

Pi is Darren Aronofsky's first written/directed film and it's a black and white film about a mathematician who accidentally sees God's name (long story), and goes insane.

But honestly, Primer probably takes the cake. It's a time travel movie that never bothers to explain half of what is going on or what characters are talking about. I've made a couple attempts at watching it and have still not really gotten it all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Eraserhead

Few movies feel like they can infect your very soul... This is one of them.

I respect it for the psychological fright-fest that it is, but I NEVER want to see it again.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Belaam said:
Seriously, no Memento?
I think it's because when you break it down, Memento is a fairly simple story just told in a very unusual fashion. If you place the film in chronological order, it's very easy to understand. There's no weird imagery, seemingly random behavior, unusual cinematography or something like that to make it especially strange.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Belaam said:
Seriously, no Memento? Or Pi?

Memento's protagonist has no long term memory and the film plays out in backwards chronological order in usually about five minute sections. Written/Directed by Christopher Nolan if you hadn't already guessed.
Yeah Memento isn't that weird. It's a fairly simple story, just told out of order, but once you understand the visual shorthand (black and white scenes all go in proper order, color scenes all go in reverse order) it's really easy to understand what's going on once they meet in the middle.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
bartholen said:
I think it's because when you break it down, Memento is a fairly simple story just told in a very unusual fashion.
Dirty Hipsters said:
Yeah Memento isn't that weird.
I guess I was looking at "weird movie" to include weird production elements like being out of chronological order rather than just flat out weird plot. I wouldn't say that Pleasantville has a particularly weird plot, but it has a weird way of demonstrating emotional repression.

Theodora

Oct 6, 2014
Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero...

There is a strange fight/death scene... not to spoil TOO much but someone experiences death by dildo.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Considering I don't watch a ton of movies, I'm going to be super lame and say Café Seagull.

It's about a Japanese woman running a café in Finland, and she's joined by two other Japanese women and a Finnish student who speaks Japanese. Sounds ordinary enough. Well, for a film who's supposedly somewhat rooted in reality, a ton of stuff happens in it which makes no sense.

Examples:
One of the Japanese women go out into the forest to pick mushrooms- and then they all disappear with no explanation.
Her lost luggage, which she needs to go home to Japan, is later found - and instead of it being full of her belongings, it's full of her goddamn mushrooms.
While she's talking about a possible mix-up on the phone, a man with a cat, which we've seen throughout the movie, approaches her. Without saying anything, he hands over the cat to her...and just walks away, leaving both the woman and the audience awfully confused.

I know it's not nearly as strange as some of the other movies seen in this thread. And for a Japanese movie, it's incredibly ordinary in comparison to films like these. [http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-most-perverted-looking-japanese-movies-netflix-tested/] But it's the small, strange details in an otherwise ordinary movie which make it stand out to me.

CatsPajamas

Sep 25, 2014
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom - 70s Italian flick based on the Marquise De Sade story. It's a very sex filled movie that just makes you feel dirty afterwards and not in a real good way.

Andy Warhol's Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula - Weird, campy, weird, strange as hell and weird.

The Coffin Joe series and Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind- 60s Brazilian horror movies by José Mojica Marins. His other movies are pretty weird as well.

Man Who Fell to Earth- 70s flick with David Bowie, sort of feels like the tail end of an acid trip

Pink Flamingos - John Waters, need I say more.

lowtech redneck

Sep 19, 2014
Visitor Q is to familial, and sexual relations what Ichi the Killer is to violence...possibly to a greater degree. Visitor Q was probably the most disturbing movie I've seen...[/quote]

I concur, I probably couldn't have gotten thru that movie without alcohol (I bought the movie based on the director, I was expecting a horror movie).

Another disturbing movie is 'Dead Girl', which is essentially a character study of adolescent male outcasts involving a quasi-zombified girl strapped to a hospital bed in an abandoned medical research hospital....yeah.

Suicide Club deserves a mention; I don't want to give too much away for the ten people who still haven't watched it, but it involves police and amuetuer investigations into a rash of suicides in Japan, and a website that seems to predict them. You'll know whether you'll like it within the first ten minutes.

Speaking of Sion Sono, I recently saw a (very) low-budget indie horror movie called 'Where The Dogs Divide Her' that reminded me of a combination of his work and some of David Lynch's stuff, except not in the same league as either (still worth watching, though, even if some scenes go on for far too long). Its a little too artsy to describe (or understand)very well, but involves a mortician having a series of hallucinations and flashbacks regarding his psychological issues and his family's tragic past.

Edit: screwed up the quote, sorry.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Vault101 said:
Mullholland drive

yes I know I'm very typical being david lynch and all

I bailed on it before it really got going

HOWEVER

recently I've been watching an analysis of it and now that I've basically had what it all means explained to me (like a dumbass) it actually makes it seem pretty straight forward, I almost want to try it again. I don't know if its "cheating" to have it all spoon fed to me like that but then I'm not sure I would have picked up on any of it had I stuck with it myself.
I competely forgot about that film until now.
Care to explained to me what actually happened in the film as I am still confused about it all til this day especially the last part of the film.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh & Blood
A guy dressed up as a samurai kidnaps and drugs a girl, then proceeds to cut her up with a samurai sword bit by bit while reciting poetry. Weird weird movie, but I did watch it to the end. I can't say the same for every other one of the Guinea Pig movies.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I competely forgot about that film until now.
Care to explained to me what actually happened in the film as I am still confused about it all til this day especially the last part of the film.
so basically (going off the analysis which is as yet unfinished in 4 parts)

and this is obviously just one interpretation

its about a failed wannabe actress names Dianne in hollywood who spirals into having someone assassinate her rival and eventual suicide (I think, I'm hazy in how the film actually ends as I bearly watched it)

the first half of the film is a fantasy world created by Diane, so what we see are people she knows "recast" in roles that reflect how she veiws them. She recasts herself as "betty" a more innocent version of herself, a version that may never have existed given the implications that the elderly couple we see pop up...her grandparent's sexualy assulted her as a child (in the fantasy world they are kind and helpful but we note their evil laughter afterward)

in this fantasy world betty goes to hollywood to stay at her aunts place, everyone is very nice, she nails an audition and is praised on her talent (contrary to how she feels hollywood is in the real world), Camilla is recast as "rita" and given amnesia. Diane both loves and hates Camila, so by casting her as the vulnerable "rita" she is able to veiw her somone with whom she goes on a mystery solving adventure with (quote: it'll be just like the movies!) and you see how their relationship uh...blossums which is fairly self explanatory

Adam the director represents someone struggling against the dark meddling of "hollywood" (the scary people behined glass doors and their ability to "shut everything down" when he doesn't comply) Adam after having an encounter with the cowboy caves in. An interesting thing (if I recall) is that there is a "camilla" in the dreamworld, she is a blonde woman who''s headshot we see in the "this is the girl" meeting and I think we also see her later in the "audition" where Adam complies, this woman is also the "real" Camillas possible lover in the real world...given Diannes feelings she's cast her as the "imposter foisted upon movies by the evil overlords of the hollywood machine" I think anyway

so yeah after the scene with the magician we are in the real world, Dianes carrer isn't exactly great, she seems to have had a previous relationship or something with Camilla, she also belvies Camilla got to where she was because she slept with the director (adam)

so yeah thats kind of a garblerd version of things...I'd recommend checking out Renegade cut's break down, if you like that kind of thing (I know I do)

http://blip.tv/renegadecut/rc-mulholland-drive-part-1-7038250

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
Zardoz.

Sean Connery in some kind of red bandoleer jockstrap and kneeboots. He's told by a giant floating stone head which vomits guns that guns are good and the penis is evil. He shoots people and invades a hippy commune.

CatsPajamas

Sep 25, 2014
Oh yeah, I forgot to add The Flaming Lips' "Christmas on Mars"..I've seen so many weird movies I can't name them all at once.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Gonna have to go with Lair of the White Worm. Kinda terrible horror film from the late 80's with Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and Amanda Donohue. Pretty sure Peter Capaldi cuts Amanda Donohue in half at some point with a claymore.

It's a strange beast. With a heavy Scottish accent. So just like Peter Capaldi.

small

Aug 5, 2014
wickedmonkey said:
Zardoz.

Sean Connery in some kind of red bandoleer jockstrap and kneeboots. He's told by a giant floating stone head which vomits guns that guns are good and the penis is evil. He shoots people and invades a hippy commune.
while eraser head is definitely up there on the weird scales, nothing quite beats sean connery in a mankini.. i still have no idea what the damn thing was about, i suspect i wasnt taking the period specific hallucinogens when i watched it

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Haha, yea, Mulholland had left you with more questions than answers.

For me the first time I watched Brazil as a teenager it went completely over my head. Not sure I fully understand what its trying to tell me even now.

I have watched many weird movies since. One that stands out is "Faust", the Czech version from 1994. Puppetry, animated playdoh sequences.

But then again, if you actually bother to read Faust 2 ... that shit was psychedelic even then.

Same thing for naked lunch btw

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Well, i do not enjoy most of the totally weird and abstarct movies... and so avoid them.

Those here a re bit "mainstream" but really i was thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT?"

Hated both movies

IZO

Same guy who made Ichi, the Killer... so i thought it might be good...
IMDB says: An executed samurai takes an existential journey throughout time, space and eternity in search of bloody vengeance.

Also:

El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowsky - my mind decided it was weird pretentious garbage - but apparently its a classic.
IMDB says: El Topo decides to confront warrior Masters on a trans-formative desert journey he begins with his 6 year old son...

Eh, i remember vaguely some short anime which was bizarre too... but i can't remember the name. (And yeah i mean bizarre even compared to some of the really STRANGE Anime's out there)

EDIT: Have some trailers