What is the worst game you own?

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Well, current generation I'd say Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The multiplayer is a lot of fun (with friends) but wow the campaign was awful.

Thinking back over previous titles... "Spider" on the Playstation never left a good impression, and "Rise and Fall" on PC looked alright but got repetitive for me very fast.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Worst game I own? :p Well I don't keep games if I think they're shitty, so I'll go with "Worst Game I've Bought" as a close-enough category.

I'd really have to say FFX-2. Not only did I buy it, play it, and return it 2 hours later claiming that for whatever reason it wouldn't work and that I'd just as soon get something else...but it was also the point where I officially washed my hands of the Final Fantasy franchise forever. No more FFBS for me, I'll stick with my classics made before the time Square and Enix merged and decided to sodomize one of the most well-respected RPG franchises in history.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
dslatch said:
The Force unleashed... that was a... poor investment
Hey now...both those games were fun as long as you remembered to rent and not buy them. :p

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I don't know, but what immediately came to mind is Hydrophobia. There's a difference between player fault and poor level design, and Hydrophobia crossed that line.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
E.T for the Game Boy Advance. Got it as a gift many years ago, but it is still amazingly horrible. Some levels are bugged and are impossible to finish. The levels where all mazes and you had no map, what so ever and your health bar constantly decreases, even when there is no one else around you. You are also defenseless against anything, and all you do will drain your health bar, unless you get to play as the kid (forgot he´s name), because he can throw baseballs at enemies, but it only hits humans and the "ammo" is rare and you will only hit on every 4th or 5th ball you throw. May it forever burn.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Indecipherable said:

I think I win.
yes you do, not only do you own one crappy game you own 52!
Congratz

for me it has to be Maken Shao: Demon Sword, worst combat ever......dyansty warriors had better combat than this.....interseting concept, you body snatch different people and use their abilities but its pres o to do attack, after 2 hours of battle you gain press 0+ up to do a different attack. Love atlus but they should stay away from action games and stick to rpgs and puzzles

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Probably The Whispered World.

I'd heard great things about it, so I went ahead and bought it on Steam. But the graphics were nowhere near as "gorgeous and painterly" as I'd heard, the art style and character designs were just kind of gross, the music was forgettable, the characters were obnoxious as fuck (especially the protagonist who had the most annoying voice I'd ever heard, to the point that every time he talked I had to skim the subtitles and then quickly press spacebar), every attempt at humor made me cringe ("pantaloons" is not inherently funny, stop expecting me to laugh just because you said it), and to top it all off, it had an "it was all a dream" ending with a glurgy sick child aspect tacked on to tug at the heartstrings or whatever.

As to the gameplay, there was one thing about it that I liked: the main character's pet slug could take different forms (normal, fat, on fire, etc.) and you could use him in all those forms to solve puzzles. But the rest of the gameplay just embodies all the worst parts of adventure games: tedious grocery list dialogue, and puzzles that consist of throwing everything in your inventory at a problem and, when that fails, trying to stick it all together and then throwing it at your problem.

Some of the solutions made sense, but in one case I had a turtle statue that I learned, through trial and error, I could stick a bunch of crap onto, including a pair of dentures. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with the resultant monstrosity. Turns out I was supposed to show it to someone so they'd get scared and hide and I could enter the door they had been standing in front of.

That annoying gameplay is the biggest reason I've never been able to get into pure adventure games, even the classics like The Longest Journey. For me to enjoy an adventure game, it has to be puzzle-adventure (the Myst series and Machinarium) or action-adventure (Ico and Aquaria), or even just exploration (Journey and Botanicula). Those are all among my favorite games. I love most subgenres of adventure, but adventure games themselves, when they rely on inventory-based puzzles and spending hours going down dialogue lists, really don't do it for me.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Bertylicious said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Bertylicious said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
The worst game I own is Two Human and the runner up is Sacred 2 Fallen Angels.
Sacred 2 wasn't that bad.
In your opinion. I thought it was utter shit.
Well naturally you thought it was shit. You wouldn't have said it was shit otherwise. And, to be fair, it was shit.

The thing that I wanted to talk to you about though was why it was shit because really, when you think about it, lots of elements of the game are very promising: It has a massive game world, several distinct and interesting playable characters, loads of loot, a system to combo chain special moves together, epic boss battles, variable terrain and online co-op.

I often think about it and end up re-installing it thinking "it must be better than I remember" only to uninstall it after a couple of hours of boredom. The thing is though, I can never quite put my finger on why I'm bored. The game just isn't fun and to me, considering my earlier plus points, that makes Sacred 2 fascinating.
I agree. I got Sacred 2 because it had a funky special edition (Includes MAP! Game soundtrack (like you're not going to get sick of the same twenty second loops of music every time you go into a fight!) and the cheapest ass Seraphim figurine you could imagine!) and I'll reluctantly admit its in my top five of how much time I've poured into it (Up there with Dragon Age, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2)

And I don't actually mind it. I am reluctant to trade it in, because I always think I'll go back to it, even though it has an indecipherable leveling system which is broken (Good luck trying to beat higher difficulty levels if you've leveled up wrong), a weird sense of humour and is the biggest grindfest this side of the FF 13 treasure hunter trophy (playing Sacred 2 sometimes felt like ascending to a higher state of consciousness, just to tolerate the constant grinding) The problem isn't so much that its bad, just that its lame, and not very well implemented.

Still got a touch excited when a sequel was announced.

As for the worst game I currently own, I'm going to have to go with... Arcana Heart 3. I only bought it because it was five quid new, and it had a half naked anime chick on the cover (dont judge me).

Worst game I've ever owned?

[Prototype}. Hands down.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Hazmattuxedo2404 said:
shadow the hedgehog, The thing is I don't even remember buying it. I think it just appeared one day like hell shat. As to why I hate it its just too hard to explain (think metal bolts in your hip)
I kinda liked that game. I guess it's the idea of Sonic character shooting guns and riding a motorcycle to be ludicrously awesome.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Ninja Gaiden 3
X-Blades
Brutal Legends
Battle Fantasia
Gundam: Crossfire
Genji
Sonic Unleashed

and I'll stop now 'cause I'm getting depressed looking at all this crap I still own

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Either people here only have the latest AAA titles in their libraries, or they have a very short memory.
I have several games that I never got any fun out of, some of them are buried away and I have forgotten their names. I think the only one I can mention that people here will recall is Daikatana. The rest are just too old and obscure to bother mentioning.

Complain how much you want about Duke Nukem Forever, GTA IV, Mass Effect2 or whatever recent AAA title that didn't live up to its hype for you (I liked all of these BTW, especially ME2), There are games that are so putrid out there, that merely seeing the start of the first level makes you regret spending cash on them.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I have a game on Steam called Rogue Warrior. It has a 29 on Metacritic, and I think that is an artificially inflated score. Everything about it (everything) sucks. It sucks so much that I'm amazed we still have an atmosphere.

The worst console game I currently own is called Resonance of Fate. It has the silliest and most unintuitive combat system I've ever seen, and the setting, visual design, story presentation and characters are all terrible.

Xen0n

Sep 21, 2011
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. The first game was fun, albeit a bit repetetive, but the second game was just bad. Ugh.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Mindjack is one. Yes, I hated it before Yahtzee did. I remember thinking it was o.k at first, but as the game dragged on I hated it more and more until I literally turned into a zombie incapable of human thought and emotion. I hate, hate, hate Mindjack. Yahtzee forgot to mention in his review the useless grenades, useless weapons (SMG is the only good one), useless melee system that barely works, and the horrendous techno soundtrack.

thegamermn

Jan 30, 2009
Ruff Trigger: The Vancore Conspiracy

Why...why did I not listen to X-play? I wasted a dollar on it. That's right. I got it for a dollar and still considered it to be a waste. It was a Ratchet and Clank clone that didn't even deserve to call itself a clone. It's like the Stewie clone from Family Guy.
The camera was horrible. the story and voice acting sucked. The movement was sluggish. The upgrade system required you to purchase everything and they all came out incredibly slowly...it was just...It was So. Frigging. Useless.