What is your degree in?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Macabre9037 said:
I'm curious as to what my fellow escapists have degrees in. I am currently working om my Bachelor's degree in English, I intend to teach High School.

What is your degree? Or what subject do you intend to attain one in? And, what do you intend to do with it?
Computer Science

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I'm a 3rd year biology major, and plan on getting at least my masters in microbiology and microbial pathogenics. Maybe genetics though if I do amazing in it.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I currently have a Masters in Horror Media. The study is continuous, of course.

This may possibly not come from an accredited school...

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
Manicotti said:
I got my bachelor's degree in English, and that was fucking useless -

Macabre9037 said:
I am currently working om my Bachelor's degree in English
And you have my sympathies unless you're also working on your teaching certification/Education minor at the same time. I was a terribly unambitious student at the time I got my English degree, and failed to get even a minor with it. Naturally, McDonald's was the best employment I could hope for.

As the other guy here said, don't limit yourself to teaching, though. Pick up as many useful software skills as you can, and learn to write in as many different venues as possible. A bud of mine is a columnist for a number of websites on entirely different things. And do *not* skip an internship or you're fucked - English-oriented jobhunting wannabes are a dime a dozen, and get paid even less unless you're phenomenal.

On topic - I went back to school for Manufacturing Technology and Industrial Power Systems Management (Major with a required minor). This is my first semester back in college, so I'll be here a while.
I am working on teaching certification in fact. I know several teachers who've helped me get on the right track for it. I've been warned by so many people that my degree will be useless but I think that doesn't have to be the case. And I am also minoring in History which I also plan on getting certified to teach.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Ass-whoopin. I've got my Masters in it, and a doctorate in Pain.

Yeah, that joke was probably done already but I dont feel like reading. But seriously, I'm going for an MBA in accounting.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Macabre9037 said:
Manicotti said:
I got my bachelor's degree in English, and that was fucking useless -

Macabre9037 said:
I am currently working om my Bachelor's degree in English
And you have my sympathies unless you're also working on your teaching certification/Education minor at the same time. I was a terribly unambitious student at the time I got my English degree, and failed to get even a minor with it. Naturally, McDonald's was the best employment I could hope for.

As the other guy here said, don't limit yourself to teaching, though. Pick up as many useful software skills as you can, and learn to write in as many different venues as possible. A bud of mine is a columnist for a number of websites on entirely different things. And do *not* skip an internship or you're fucked - English-oriented jobhunting wannabes are a dime a dozen, and get paid even less unless you're phenomenal.

On topic - I went back to school for Manufacturing Technology and Industrial Power Systems Management (Major with a required minor). This is my first semester back in college, so I'll be here a while.
I am working on teaching certification in fact. I know several teachers who've helped me get on the right track for it. I've been warned by so many people that my degree will be useless but I think that doesn't have to be the case. And I am also minoring in History which I also plan on getting certified to teach.
Good. More power to you since you're actually preparing for teaching something specific, because yes, English on its own is functionally useless. You learn some of the communication and reasoning skills you need for anything else, but that's it. At least you have a stronger idea of what to do with it than I did.

Elomin Sha

Mar 9, 2009
I have:
HND Internet Design
BA (Hons) Creative Computer Game Design
MA Creative and Media Writing

I really want a career write stories for video games.

crazythunder83

Jan 23, 2011
Working on my Electrical Engineering with a minor in Electromagnetism. Focusing on power generation. Gonna work on beating the damned fossil fuel curse thats plauged mankind for over a century now.

After the Calculus III and Differential Equations course everything has been pretty much a sinch. Had electronics experience w/ my 5 years Active Duty Navy though, so that helps. Most students, IMHO, don't really have a clue what they're doing or where they're going at the College/in life. Kinda sad really...
Anway, that's me!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
BSc Industrial Design Engineering, minor in Software Design. Almost finished with that. I'm a bit slow because I've done 2 years Aerospace Engineering before this. I guess I'll start my MSc Integrated Product Design next year.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
I'm thinking of a degree in english, but my being 21 and only just starting college, I really doubt I'll make it anywhere.

Plus I without a mentor in the field I find myself knowing jack all about anything.

Micklet

May 21, 2009
BA in Geography and Ancient Classics, MSc in Geocomputation. I'm an assistant manager in a bar Thursday to Sunday. Gotta love living in Ireland at the mo.;)

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
BA (Econ/Pol). MA (Econ) ... well, providing my thesis passes.

Casimir_Effect said:
Masters (MPhys) in Theoretical Physics. Currently working on PhD in theoretical photonics.
Damn. Is it frustrating to converse with average humans at this point?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I hope to have an integrated masters degree in Theoretical Physics soon, however since the last few years have made my course seem like it's been going since the 12th century then i doubt ill get it til the earth's either under covenant rule or they can get an asari that'll be better than me at it anyway.

meece

Apr 15, 2008
Applying to Biotechnology degrees. Like Biochemistry but more immediatly useful. Think the biological version of chemical engineering and you wouldn't be too far off.