What is your degree in?

truncatd

Dec 12, 2009
ninjastovall0 said:
truncatd said:
Biomedical engineering. I intend to go to grad school and secure a PHD in Horribleness.
What do you do or what do you plan to do?
I can go into industry, developing medical devices, implants, etc. I'm sure you'll understand that I can't reveal any of the details on the whole "evil master plan" part of it.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
FinalHeart95 said:
Maybe even a mathematician, I'm finding the trig stuff in my pre-calc class incredibly easy.

pre calc is fucking cake, i did a few kids homeworks that i knew in about 20 minutes and got 50 bucks out of it, get about 5 more math classes ahead of pre calc and see if you still agree with that.
Well, the furthest I'll get in high school is Calc II... so maybe that'll be a good indication?
Either way, it's just an option at this point. If I end up finding either Calc I or II difficult then I'll go towards something else.

Sep 14, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
gmaverick019 said:
FinalHeart95 said:
Maybe even a mathematician, I'm finding the trig stuff in my pre-calc class incredibly easy.

pre calc is fucking cake, i did a few kids homeworks that i knew in about 20 minutes and got 50 bucks out of it, get about 5 more math classes ahead of pre calc and see if you still agree with that.
Well, the furthest I'll get in high school is Calc II... so maybe that'll be a good indication?
Either way, it's just an option at this point. If I end up finding either Calc I or II difficult then I'll go towards something else.
calc i and calc ii are also mostly cake, calc III steps it up quite a bit, and diff. equations is roughly same level as calc III

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Right now, I'm at my third year of being a physics major at KSU. I'm loving it! I'm wanting to get specifically into the field of high energy physics. I've also gone into an internship at the same school, and I plan on going to Fermilab this summer.

Sep 14, 2009
Dimensional Vortex said:
Macabre9037 said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
Macabre9037 said:
I'm curious as to what my fellow escapists have degrees in. I am currently working om my Bachelor's degree in English, I intend to teach High School.

What is your degree? Or what subject do you intend to attain one in? And, what do you intend to do with it?
Wow good luck with teaching at a high school, I have a question though, do you see yourself as a strict or lenient teacher?

I don't have a degree yet, due to my age but I was thinking about getting one in Theoretical Physics or Chemistry or Medicine.
I see myself using the same methods as my High School English teacher. She was extremely strict when she first arrived at that school, made everyone fear and respect her, and once she was confident in that she was respected and feared she loosened up. I and eveyrone else in my class loved her, hell I still talk to her.
Yea but it is very likely that after you get all your education and degrees and go back to teach you will find that the students have changed. If you try to utilize the same strategies as your high school teacher you may end up being the "Infamous evil teacher" Yes anyone who went through high school always knew of one teacher who was hated by everyone. Although good luck and I hope you can become the kind of teacher your aiming to be.
hated this teacher, she was bald and wore a huge wig, and was the biggest hypocrit on the damn planet, and every year she had at least half her class fail out, it had nothing to do with doing your homework/showing up, it was her just being a fucking *****.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
zhoominator said:
Have been studying a BSc joint Physics and Maths, but because of the grades I got the other day, I may well get my wish of switching over to an MPhys Theoretical Physics and Maths. Exciting stuff.

I'm looking into Summer Internships just now to if if research would be my bag. My teachers at school said they could see me as a researcher, I had much enthusiasm for my science subjects.
As another physics major I can say that research internships are totally worth it. Especially if you're looking into seeing if you're more likely a theoretical or experimental physicist.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
calc i and calc ii are also mostly cake, calc III steps it up quite a bit, and diff. equations is roughly same level as calc III
Bleh, I'm not big on integration. I found differentiation to be very easy, but integration is much trickier. Of course, I don't particularly like math, and wouldn't be taking the course if there was more room in stats.

I'm working on a Biotechnology degree. I have about a year and a half left.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
I'm a Sophmore in highschool, and I don't want to think about what I want to major in until the second I graduate(if I even go to college).

I'd rather make a portfolio on my own and get real world experience rather than fuck around with another century and a half of schooling. Most degrees aren't worth shit anymore besides meeting like-minded people who are into the same thing you're studying.

I might just take the 2-year nursing course and be employed within a year of completing it rather than go through a 5-year major program where I end up working a job that isn't related to what I studied because the thing I studied was not in-demand.

Sep 14, 2009
Dags90 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Bleh, I'm not big on integration. I found differentiation to be very easy, but integration is much trickier. Of course, I don't particularly like math, and wouldn't be taking the course if there was more room in stats.

I'm working on a Biotechnology degree. I have about a year and a half left.
yeah my roommate highly preferred statistics compared to calc III and diff. equations,

integration becomes as easy as differentiation by the time you've made it through these classes

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
Macabre9037 said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
Macabre9037 said:
I'm curious as to what my fellow escapists have degrees in. I am currently working om my Bachelor's degree in English, I intend to teach High School.

What is your degree? Or what subject do you intend to attain one in? And, what do you intend to do with it?
Wow good luck with teaching at a high school, I have a question though, do you see yourself as a strict or lenient teacher?

I don't have a degree yet, due to my age but I was thinking about getting one in Theoretical Physics or Chemistry or Medicine.
I see myself using the same methods as my High School English teacher. She was extremely strict when she first arrived at that school, made everyone fear and respect her, and once she was confident in that she was respected and feared she loosened up. I and eveyrone else in my class loved her, hell I still talk to her.
Yea but it is very likely that after you get all your education and degrees and go back to teach you will find that the students have changed. If you try to utilize the same strategies as your high school teacher you may end up being the "Infamous evil teacher" Yes anyone who went through high school always knew of one teacher who was hated by everyone. Although good luck and I hope you can become the kind of teacher your aiming to be.
hated this teacher, she was bald and wore a huge wig, and was the biggest hypocrit on the damn planet, and every year she had at least half her class fail out, it had nothing to do with doing your homework/showing up, it was her just being a fucking *****.
I'm sorry to hear that, especially the part about her failing students because of her personal philosophies. I just have a few questions, what subject(s) did she happen to teach, what year levels did she teach, was she elderly and was she a bias teacher?

Sep 14, 2009
Dimensional Vortex said:
gmaverick019 said:
I'm sorry to hear that, especially the part about her failing students because of her personal philosophies. I just have a few questions, what subject(s) did she happen to teach, what year levels did she teach, was she elderly and was she a bias teacher?
It really was, I remember every test I would have 9 out of the 10 problems aced, without a problem, and the last one i would forget to add the one back over or something VERY small, and i would still end up getting a 72% on the tests

She taught Pre-Calc and Pre-Calc only, so she had plenty of time to concentrate on it. It was Sophmore-Senior years, depending on what year you took it and if you took Honors Pre-calc.

oh she was very elderly, of course after my year she retired(this happened so many times i can't put them all on my fingers) and it did honestly seem like she would be bias to "nerdy looking" people. Literally I would take my test and compare with my friend katelyn, and we would have everything the same, and she would nearly always have a 10% increase in grade. I even confronted the teacher about it and she would just say "Oh no, there is a difference, plus it doesn't help on your part that your just a lazy ass." (that's right, she outright called me a lazy ass)

OaKleIgHy

Nov 10, 2009
Bachelors in Media and Communications (Major1) + International Relations (Major2) + Philosophy (Minor)

Underground Man

Sep 20, 2010
BA in history, with a minor in archaeology. What a joke. I couldn't get hired if I paid a company to work for them. Biggest mistake of my life, really.

TiloXofXTanto

Aug 18, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I have a PHD in Horribleness.
I hereby award you applause, for that is too awesome.
And huzzah for the wonde.....horribleness of Dr. Horrible!

...But anyway: Degrees...
Can't say I've got one, but I can say that I'm not settling for just one.
5 at the least, I'm going to totally destroy my brain with it, but meh.
All will be focused in Sciences and such, simply because I enjoy the prospect of being able to more accurately study the world and form valid opinions.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I have a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Planning, and will be getting a Master of Science in Urban Design at Christmas.

I like the idea of being a Master of Science It sounds like I will have the power to make lightning come from my fingertips, and join He-man and his friends in Scantily clad adventures against Skeletor.

Although my favourite certificate that I own I got from my local leisure centre, when I was about 9, for successfully swimming 5 metres with a boyancy aid. I basically jumped into the pool and floated as far as I could.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I have a Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering but I'm in the military making no use of it.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I'm in my final year and am trying to obtain in Global Studies. Basically I like learning about world history and culture.