What is your favorite anime and why??

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
FLCL, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad and Ouran High School Host Club are probably my top three.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Macross.

It's got everything, great characters, drama, action, singing, and planes that transform into robots. Planes that transform into motherfucking robots man!

Pity almost none of it ever gets released properly outside of Japan, thanks to Harmony Gold being a bunch of dicks over the license (that they probably should never have had in the first place, thanks Tatsunoko). It took 20 years to get the first season properly, and only that and Plus are out at all. Macross 7 is never getting translated (no-one can afford it), and even Zero didn't come out.

Which is madness, because Macross is big news in Japan. Macross Frontier's first BD release was the highest selling Blu-Ray disc of 2008 in Japan (not just anime, all BD releases), and was probably the most staggeringly awesome series of the decade (and that includes Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann).

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
The only series I completely watched were FMA, GTO and Hellsing. I thoroughly enjoyed GTO, hence the avatar.

Lucky Chainsaw

Jan 8, 2009
Because of my emotional attachment to it I'd have to say Dragon Ball Z. But as far as I'm concerned, saying that is practically cheating at this point so I'll say FLCL.

Lucia di Lammermore

Feb 8, 2009
macapus said:
The one that isn't gay, oh wait, there isn't one!
macapus said:
No flaming please
Don't post such obvious flamebait if you don't want to get flamed.

My favorite anime is probably FMA, only because my only previous experiance was with Howl's Moving Castle. (Is that actually anime?)

GammaChris

Dec 14, 2008
Oh, FLCL for sure. Crazy, off-the-wall plot that actually makes some deep and philosophical sense, a deranged sense of humor, kickass robot fighting scenes in ever episode, interesting characters, top-notch music, quality animation specs... man, the show is superior in every way! Really, the only bad thing about Fooly Cooly is the fact that it's only 6 episodes in length, but at the same time it's great because it doesn't outstay its welcome or lose its originality, if that's possible for a show like FLCL.

*sigh* I'm a FLCL whore, aren't I?

Draco Kaiser

Mar 20, 2009
I love Bleach because of their tight forms and the Hollows and arrancar stuff. It's an has an awesome plot and when Ichigo owned Ulquiorra with his new hollow form...pure awesomeness.

Chalice_of_Agony

Mar 16, 2009
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That show was so epic and satisfying that I didn't watch another anime for literally months after I finished that show.

Spektre41

Jun 26, 2008
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which grasps the core message of Mecha Anime. That being, if were going to make a show about giant robots we should make it as awesome as possible, with moments like:

*There be spoilers*

Creating a giant robot the size of a galaxy out of one's awesomeness.

Turning the Big Bang into a drill, which is also the size of a galaxy.

Piloting your giant robot even if you've been severed in half by a giant robot's laser-and-spear combo.

Turning a planet sized battle ship into a giant robot, which attacks every single point of reality. At the same time.

Punching your enemy so hard that they break through the barrier of space and time.

Killing a fleet of enemies using your awesomeness.

Driving a car sized robot with a drill through God.

I don't care if it makes no sense. It's awesome. Giant robot shows should be fun. I shouldn't have to watch kids go insane in between robot smackdowns.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Fullmetal Alchemist is not only the first series in which I saw, but it's also probably the reason why I'm so cynical.

EDIT: I also like FLCL a LOT because it is one of the ever expanding examples of a series that needed to be continued

LordSnakeEyes

Mar 9, 2009
- Dragonball Z: It's just Epic (and is the foundation of 90% of my childhood)
- Gundam Wing: Watch it if you don't know why.
- One Piece: Please... No one mention the english dub/editing to me (Sanji with a lollipop!? Stupid Dub company...)
- Elfen Lied: It starts off brutal but that just helps set the mood.
- Ichigo 100%: Good Times, Good Times...
- Beyblade: Awesome anime series about what I hold dearest in my hea... sry can't truly say that with a straight face, it's a pathetic excuse for an anime.
- Full Metal Alchemist: It's... special.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
D.gray man - excellent story, great character i loved every second of it. It is by far my favorite anime.

Trigun - Nicholas D Wolfwood, enough said.

Gungrave - Brandon kicks all kinds of ass.

Hellsing OVA's - You really have to ask why i like this?

EDIT: Vampire hunter D is also pretty awesome.

And witch hunter robin that was fantastic.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
perryman93 said:
i am a bit of an anime noob and haven't heard of some of these that you guys praise so highly but i will definitely go and watch them now, and what do any of you think of Gundam Wing???
Godlike. Perfect balance of politics and gundam fights, and the first (and only) Gundam series I had seen (for some reason I have just refused to watch any other type of Gundam series because of it, I loved it that much).

If anyone thinks there is a series better than that, let me know.

chunkydude84

Feb 1, 2009
darkless said:
D.gray man - excellent story, great character i loved every second of it. It is by far my favorite anime.

Trigun - Nicholas D Wolfwood, enough said.

Gungrave - Brandon kicks all kinds of ass.

Hellsing OVA's - You really have to ask why i like this?
I second your recommendation of Gungrave. I perfered the games ending, however.

Out of curiosity, just what the hell is D.gray man about?

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Cowboy Bebop accomplishes being a good anime while actually making me forget it's an anime. The nonalienation wins massive points from me.