What is your favorite anime and why??

Sparkkirby3

Mar 30, 2009
I have way too many favorites for my own good...

In no particular order:
Fullmetal Alchemist (character development, action, depth of the story)
Death Note (unique genre, L 'nuff said, suspense)
One Piece (action, character personalities)
Bleach (same as One Piece)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (good stories, unique)
Gurren Laggan (giant fighting robots, Viral)
Black Cat (good story, unique characters)
Code Geass R1(is essentially Death Note with giant fighting robots)

projectshadow115

Feb 5, 2009
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan.

The characters are so awesome and each episode is packed with so much explosive energy it makes me wanna scream every time I watch one. It really gets your blood pumping.

Chalice_of_Agony

Mar 16, 2009
Sparkkirby3 said:
Black Cat (good story, unique characters)
Oh man, I had forgotten about that one.
I also want to say that I loved the first season of Code Geass, but the second one, in my eyes, didn't live up to the first. Agreed, it was a lot better than most anime nowadays, but I felt that it lost something. It did get better towards the end, though.

Noamuth

May 16, 2008
I haven't watched a lot of anime as I don't really care for it, but I really enjoyed FLCL and I was really getting into Neon Genesis Evangelion before I lost where I was up too.

EDIT: Forgot to put why.

FLCL was just fun as hell. Fast paced, beautiful to watch, nice soundtrack, always interesting enough to make me keep watching.

Eva.. It's just intriguing without being too indepth and boring, pleasing to watch and an epic soundtrack.

Sparkkirby3

Mar 30, 2009
Chalice_of_Agony said:
Oh man, I had forgotten about that one.
I also want to say that I loved the first season of Code Geass, but the second one, in my eyes, didn't live up to the first. Agreed, it was a lot better than most anime nowadays, but I felt that it lost something. It did get better towards the end, though.
Yeah I didn't really stay with the second season,because as you said, it didn't live up to the first season. I guess I'll change it to say Code Geass R1 then.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Planetes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes].

Hard Sci-fi about the life of an orbital-debris collector (to prevent it from damaging satellites) and his unit, Debris Section. They get a new member on the first episode who becomes the protagonist's (rather obvious) love-interest.

It has superb voice-acting, great animation, excellent music and the characters overall are very believable. I just love it because I love the hard sci-fi (invisible lasers, no sound in space (apart from background music)) and the characters are really well-done and fleshed out, including some side-characters that only appear once or twice.

I'm not that good at describing why I love things, but I've seen a crapton of anime and none of it was as good as Planetes. I watched this show about a year ago, so nostalgia doesn't quite apply.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to mention this, but did you know the director and writer were the same ones that made Code Geass?

Brainbomb

Jan 6, 2009
Meh, I thought both seasons were really good, but that the second did alot of what the first had already done.

Also, it helps to know that Sunrise was acting like morons, so the director did the best he could under the cirumstnaces.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Brainbomb said:
Alright, list time.

-> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1 and 2nd gig). This show looks beautiful and really the plots in both play out really well. For some reason, I NEVER got into the first movie and its sequel. In those two, all the philosphy was awkwardly forced for some reason.
I have the same issue. I saw the first movie long ago and thought it was okay. Then years later saw the series(both of them) and loved them. Then I went back and watched the movie again and noticed my memory wasn't flawed. The pacing for the movie is pretty bad, particulary since it has long sequences where nothing happens(or so it seems like).

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
hmmm... I really liked Kanon. Ouran High School Host club, too. Uhm... Elfen Lied was also good (for several reasons... fan service ftw :p). Hellsing because its insane

Brainbomb

Jan 6, 2009
Chalice_of_Agony said:
Brainbomb said:
Also, it helps to know that Sunrise was acting like morons, so the director did the best he could under the cirumstnaces.
Really? What was going on?
Apparently the story had to be changed to fit the strict episode quota.

That_Guitarist_Guy

Mar 29, 2009
Robotech is badass... Giant Transforming Airplane Robots in FREAKING SPACE!!!! ON A GIANT SPACE CRUISER BATTLESHIP!!!!! Atleast in the Macross Saga... New Generation saga is more on Earth and the Saving of it there-of from another Alien Race bent on Humanity's destruction... WITH TRANSFORMING PLANES!!!!! But seriously, I thought it had great characters, and my favorite character DIES! and it was pretty saddening, but not "OMG I GONZA CRY CUZ THIS GUY DIEDZEZ!!!" moment... Just "ouch that sucks!"

Ummm... the RahXephon movie is pretty good too. Its about a giant god-mecha that only one guy can control. And it had a lot of plot twists which I thought made the pretty intriguing. Haven't seen the series though...

ScottocS

Mar 27, 2009
Must agree that Ghost in the Shell SAC really makes ya think... :D My number one would have to be Rurouni Kenshin However. Just loved it.... Hit my emotions like i have never felt before, which surprised me. Then watched the Samurai X (OVA's) movies. Provided a lot of background to his life before and after. Loved the whole Meiji Era Setting. :D

TheDustyBanana

Feb 8, 2009
Fooly Cooly Fooly Coola Fooly Cooly Fooly Coola...

"My favorite is FLCL" is basically what I was trying to say there.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
Definitely Cowboy Bebop, which is simply awesome whether you like anime or not. As a someone who grew up during the age of Toonami, there are plenty of others that I remember fondly.

TRIVIA:
Steven Blum, the voice of Toonami's mascot TOM, also does the English voice acting for Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop.

Brainbomb

Jan 6, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Brainbomb said:
Alright, list time.

-> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1 and 2nd gig). This show looks beautiful and really the plots in both play out really well. For some reason, I NEVER got into the first movie and its sequel. In those two, all the philosphy was awkwardly forced for some reason.

I have the same issue. I saw the first movie long ago and thought it was okay. Then years later saw the series(both of them) and loved them. Then I went back and watched the movie again and noticed my memory wasn't flawed. The pacing for the movie is pretty bad, particulary since it has long sequences where nothing happens(or so it seems like).
I know, it's way too surreal for its own good. It tries way too hard, it seems.