What is your favorite anime and why??

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Firefly22 said:
Grave of the fireflies. Love that anime so much that it even influnced my forum name.
And here I thought you meant the sci-fi series.

Anyway, my favorite is either Trigun thoroughly mainly because I really liked Wolfwood...
Or CCS (I shit you not) because I fucking love Meilin.

If I can count ones I didn't watch all the way, I really like Cowbow Bebop because, well, I bet most of us here can identify with Spike, right?

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
LordOmnit's probable list:
1) ARIA (all three seasons and even the OVA was good) (such a perfect story taking everyday happenings at its own pace and having by far some of the best music and voice acting ever and ever and ever - if so far on the side of idealism that the other end is neutral instead of cynical)
2) Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (such a peaceful series that is quite funny but at the same time it is much like ARIA with being so laid-back)
3) (Zoku) Natsume Yuujinchou (ha ha, the top three are slice-of-life. Similar comments, but the animation takes the delicious, moist cake for the top three - as well as being a bit more realistic in terms of idealism and cynicism)
4) Minami-ke (first season only, third season is somewhere further down the list) (ha ha, okay, top four are slice-of-life. However, this one is anything but peaceful, it is a no-holds-bared comedy with excellent characters)
5) Spice and Wolf (one of the few series that takes a different route from practically anything, making the center of the series trading and commerce of a medieval-times merchant with a bit of supernatural in it as well)
6) Hyakko (a hilarious slap-stick comedy that bars about as many holds as a guide to holds written by a sadist)
7) Utawarerumono (an excellent series that sucked me into its world completely by the second episode. It would be higher up, but the studio was kinda lazy and recycled scenes a little too much)
8) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (and now for something completely different... I think that's enough said)
9) Kure-nai (a dramatic slice-of-life with awesome animation. I dunno what I can said except that it was kept together quite well, save for one episode that I may just skip over when I decide to watch it again (completely unnecessary and spasm-inducingly weird))
10) To Aru Majutsu no Index / Fullmetal Alchemist (a toss-up since I'm not done with To Aru yet, but the former has some of the best animation of this past year and THE best job of merging CG and animation I've seen and the latter, again, has some of the best animation, a very cool story, etc. However, To Aru is just awesome at times, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl46splTpyg&fmt=18 starting at two minutes. You see the bad and the good with that part: the long-windedness it has at times and an almost completely normal guy being truly badass)

macapus said:
The one that isn't gay, oh wait, there isn't one!
macapus said:
No flaming please
Then don't leave flame bait behind while saying NOTHING AT ALL (ALL CAPS SAYS I'M SUPER SERIOUS).

jockslap said:
CLAYMORE!
You know, I heard terrible, terrible things about the Claymore anime's ending. I had picked up the manga and thought it was awesome and eventually decided to pick up the anime as well. As was said, the meat of the series was kept intact and then there was the ending, which I thought was pretty good in terms of gecko endings, but my only real qualm about the series was the the ending was frustratingly inconclusive. Although what else could they have done really?

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
perryman93 said:
My Favorite is Dragonball Z because i love the awesome fight scenes and over the top characters, what about you guys??
Dragonball Z might've been almost self-parody (the original creator, Akira Toriyama, generally writes comedies, and Dragonball Z was a parody of martial arts action comics), but I'll have to go out on a limb and say that not even DBZ can top this next show in scale. It most certainly can't beat it in sincerity--DBZ might have a lot of fighting, but it also had a lot of executive meddling on the part of its producers and financiers. The show I'm about to recommend is all about heart. It's the kind of show that'll get your blood boiling when the action starts, but it's got enough heart and soul to bring a tear to a man's eye--especially when certain scenes come up. (Those of you who know what I'm talking about, hush now. No spoilers.)

Spektre41 said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
"Your drill is a drill that will pierce the heavens!"

"Don't believe in me. Don't believe in the me that believes in you. Believe in you, who believes in yourself!"

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!"

"Do the impossible, see the invisible! ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAA!"

The cousin to Studio GAINAX's other inspirational and over-the-top robot series, Gunbuster, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the kind of show that people quote, and those quotes come off as cheesy, but when you actually watch the show the passion and energy starts to rub off on you. And then you'll start making those quotes in turn.

More than a few memes concerning Badassness and Fighting Spirit (whether at face value or ironic) were taken from TTGL. And when the Extremely Cynical and Generally All-Around Venomous internet tells you a show is unbelievably badass and awesome, maybe you should stand up and listen.

So yes. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for me, too.

It was also natural that someone would make a TTGL fan trailer spliced with audio from the trailer to 300. And here it is. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3GSMPAZhMU&fmt=18]

And after that, you should go back and watch GAINAX's Top wo Nerae series': Gunbuster and Diebuster. Gunbuster is where a lot of TTGL's Badass comes from. Other than very old-school Getter Robo, of course.

macapus said:
The one that isn't gay
Yeah. You're clearly talking about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Because otherwise I'd have to question your intelligence and masculinity.

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
Very true. TTGL, Gunbust, Diebuster, all great series. God, I love Gainax.

I Found it very interesting how Gunbutser and Diebuster were so different from each other despite being part of the same series. Gunbuster was dirested by Hideaki Anno (the director of Neon Genesis: Evangelion) and Diebuster was directed by his protegé Kazuya Tsurumaki (director of FLCL) and it really reflects their individual styles.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
El-Hazard, specifically The Wanderers TV series. Everybody talks about Tenchi Muyo, but nobody talks about El-Hazard; it's rather tragic.

The anime that converted me (I'd seen anime before, but this one gave me an insatiable fan-hunger) was Lensman. It sadly remains unreleased in America on DVD and I've been trying to find an import for years. I saw it on the Sci-Fi channel back circa 1996 one saturday morning and I was so enamored I didn't even channel-surf during the commercial breaks for fear I would miss something.

Balgus

Jul 15, 2008
Bleach - you can see the plot from 2 seasons away but still good to watch

The Big O - giant steam punk mech

Gundam Wing - one of the first animes ive ever see and its awesome anyway

Outlaw Star - the ending got really crazy but was cool

Cowboy Bepop - trying to find ep 13 onwards i think =/ been a while since i tried to watch the whole thing

Tenchi Muyo - hmm seem to be listing the series of animes on old toonami

Trigun was pretty good i mean there was a sniper with a20 meter long rifle...

School rumble - trust me on this one it's good

Samurai Champloo has to be the best manga ive seen, love ep 23 base ball blues

FMA- nuff said

Insomniaku

Jan 31, 2009
no particular order but... bleach, guundam wing, cowboy bebop, spirited away, howl's moving castle, tokyo godfathers, akira. I havn't watched a whole lot... oh and i'm a closet InuYasha fan... it's got to be the only bearable english dub

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
Insomniaku said:
oh and i'm a closet InuYasha fan... it's got to be the only bearable english dub
I beg to differ. There are plenty of bearable dubs, some even better than the original (such as Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Duel Masters).

Fantomkilla

Jan 15, 2009
Samurai champloo, its funny, cool and i dont like hip hop that much but it uses hip hop for a few songs, its a fresh and funky way of telling a story about samurais

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Hmmm, I don't watch much anime, but of the oens I have watched...and can remember watching. It goes in this order:

1) Elfen Lied - Just so fucking brutal, I love it. But not just violent, an actual plot.
2) Black Lagoon - Once again, brutal.
3) Zoids - Was like, my late childhood when I got Foxtel. The series I liked wasn't Fuzors, but umm...the one where...uhh...crap...he had that blue Liger thingy...with a shield...meh.
4) One Piece - Around the same time as Zoids. Made me laugh.

Yeah. Not much.

Overlord_Dave

Mar 2, 2009
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN! (sorry if I spelt it wrong)

One of the first animes I saw, it's still my favourite. Whilst at the same time being the most stereotypical mech anime you could imagine, it manages to redefine the word awesome.

Without giving to much away, the first episode involves a young boy digging in a sheltered underground community. The last episode (of the first season at least. Are there any more?) involves that same boy, now a young man, piloting a ridiculously gigantic mech throwing galaxies around. Galaxies. I rest my case.

Lothae

Mar 29, 2009
Being a bit of an anime noob I haven't watched all that many but of the few I watch I have to say One Piece is my favorite. Followed closely by FMA and with Death Note earning an honorary mention.

Edit: This One Piece being the fansubbed Japanese version, not the terrible early english dub.