What is your GOTY so far?

throwmeawaykid

May 18, 2012
Cry of Fear. It's a mod, I know, but I'm just going to say it, it's one of the most enjoy able experiences I've had with a game for a very long time and did something the Games industry hasn't done in years, scare me.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I was leaning towards Tribes acsend earlier in the year just because its a fps that doesn't make me annoyed I'm playing it in competitive mode and for the over all fun it brought to me through out the summer.

Though lately I have to toss the ball to BL2, outrageously fun and it only gets better with more people, that along with the humor and over all complete and over the top improvement of the combat<go play BL and then play BL2, it doesn't seem obvious but it is definitely there> makes it my game of the year, nudging out guild wars 2 which is also pimp.

Games I am looking to play which may unseat borderlands 2:
dishonored< I just bought it and am waiting for it to ship, I love stealthy stab stab games and this may be a contender>
X com

Theres alot of small indy mentions I'd make but none of them really hit that spot where all I can think of is waking up so I can play more of it.

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
Crusader Kings 2. While Mass effect 3 was good (bar a few final moments), i have put in around 200 hours into crusader kings 2 in a very short time period and my god is that game amazing as a strategy game / alt history game. I love it, and despite it's somewhat steep learning curve, coupled with it's less than stellar tutorials, it's an amazingly deep awesome game that i would recommend to any strategy enthusiasts.

Spectrre

Mar 7, 2011
Hmm.. tough call. Either Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2 or Dishonored.

I'll probably go with Dishonored. (As predictable as that may be.)

Why? Well, in part because it's fresh IP, the other 2 on my list are fantastic games as well but they're not as new as Dishonored. But the bigger reasons are it's story and gameplay. The gameplay was, for me, about as good as I expected it to be. Fluid, elegant, fun,.. it has all the right ingredients to make me love it.

The story however I never expected to be as good as it is. I don't exactly know why it sucked me in as much as it did but.. it happened. What is one of the strongest points about the game in my mind is how well they managed to allow different approaches to whatever you do. We've all heard promises of freedom in what actions you take and how and we've all been told how they will most definitely have an impact on the game.

But I feel Dishonored is one of the games that comes closest to actually delivering those promises. The way they cater to your preferred play style is pretty impressive. They actually put some thought into giving you different options besides "Kill the dude or not kill the dude" and the impact on the story was very cool.

So yeah.. Dishonored would be my choice thus far.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Personally I loved Dishonored. Very few games make me want to play again immediately after finishing it. This one did.

Being a stat nerd, I have started tallying the results myself from this thread. After page 1 it looks like this:
Dishonored: 7.5
Mass Effect 3: 4
Borderlands 2: 3.5
Dragon's Dogma: 2.5
Spec Ops: The Line: 2.5
Frog Fractions: 2
Crusader Kings 2: 1.5
Guild Wars 2: 1.5
Resident Evil 6: 1
Torchlight 2: 1
Mark of the Ninja: 1
FTL: 1
FF XIII-2: 0.5

holacoaster

Apr 27, 2012
I think the only game I bought this year was Crusader Kings 2, but from what I've seen of the other games mentioned that my roommates (damn them and their money!) it definitely holds up on entertainment.

I am a huge Paradox fanboy though, so I may be biased.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
FTL: Faster Than Light
Nothing else this year has sucked my in quite as much, though I'm looking forward to Halo 4

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'd say Mass Effect 3. It's a legitimately good game. Yeah, the endings are kind of weak, but if I had a nickel for every thing that had a bad ending I'd be a very, very rich person.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
denseWorm said:
Isn't it kind of pathetic that many people only seem to be mentioning games that game out in the last few months/weeks? Resident Evil 6? Spec Ops: The Line? Mass Effect 3?

You don't think Diablo 3 was good? (I didn't but I'm sure some people might) What about Journey, don't people think that game's a work of art or something? SSX remains the best sports game series in creation, no? How about the release of Minecraft? Don't people think The Walking Dead is the last word in casual gamer dope? Sleeping dogs?
They all say Dishonored and Borderlands 2 because those are the games they're currently playing or just finished, and were fun games.

The ones you listed they might have played but probably got bored of considering the length of time they've been out. And I disagree about SSX. Amped 3 takes that trophy for me, such a good snowboarding game.

And my fav game this year has to be Catherine (it still counts, was released in 2011 in Japan but 2012 everywhere else). It's such a simple design with so much depth while also being challenging. Not to mention the amount of time I spent on the Rapunzel minigame (which is coincidentally longer than the game itself).
Catherine came out in summer of 2011 in the US. Still, it's a good game. It hated me, making me rage hard because of how bad I was at it. But I loved it...

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
Borderlands 2, Civilisation 5, Minecraft, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, and Worms Armageddeon. I don't care if any of them didn't come out this year, they're still my favourite games of this year!

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
This would have easily been ME3 if they hadn't fumbled the ball at the goal line (little American football analogy there).

I haven't played dishonored yet (which may steal it), so my vote has to go to Spec Ops: The Line. While it's core gameplay doesn't have any real innovation, what it does with it to tell its story is mind-blowing. It's one of the most emotionally-draining games I have ever played (and I mean that in a good way). It was so hard to keep playing, but impossible to put down. It did something no other game has done before, and it did it perfectly.

That's why Spec Ops: The Line is GOTY!

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
Hmmmm, so far I'd have to go with Dishonored, can't remember the last time I wanted to play through a game again immediately after finishing, however it's a close call between that, Dark Souls:prepare To Die Edition and Mass Effect 3.

Honorable mention to Spec Ops: The Line as well for one of the most interesting stories, but the game-play wasn't too good, and a little buggy at times.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
I really liked Dragons Dogma, but as a die-hard Resident Evil fan, I'd have to say Resident Evil 6. I love the new controls and co-op games are my favourite.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Mass Effect 3, though Dishonored may supplant it, but I haven't played enough of it yet to make a proper judgment.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
The Madman said:
Crusader Kings 2

I've actually played a lot of games I consider fantastic this year but of all of them Crusader Kings 2 is not only the one I've spent the most time with but also the one I suspect I'll be playing most in years to come as well. This is the sort of strategy gem I've little doubt will still be enjoyed and talked about for a long time to come.
This, or Dishonoured.

Also not played Borderlands 2 yet, looking forward to that!

Nim

Apr 5, 2012
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes. I absolutely loved the story, characters and tone and it is one of the few games in I don't know how long that I actually kept on getting back to :D

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
My favorite game this year has been Mass Effect 3 because it had one best stories I've played in a game and I enjoy the multiplayer quite a bit. Ironically, The Old Republic gets my worst game of the year because the stories tend to be awful and it fails to be entertaining as a multiplayer game.