What is your GOTY so far?

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
Resident Evil 6. Uncharted with mutants, basically. Love Uncharted.
Except for the fact Resident Evil 6 had worse mehcanics, less Parkour and wall climbing, had idiot puzzles instead of not-so-idiot puzzles, more QTE's, a shittier story, unlikeable characters, horrible environments, boring set-pieces and more pandering, I guess Resident Evil 6 is Uncharted with mutants after all.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
Non-fighting game GOTY: Spec ops the line. That game will stay in my mind for ages. More games need to do what it did.

Fighting game GOTY: Persona 4. Finally, what blazblue should have been with better characters. Music isn't by Daisuke, but the atlus soundtrack guys are really damn good too.

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Aussie Legend said:
Oh that's easy, Spec Ops The Line. Easily one of the most engaging video game experiences I have ever had.
100% agree. That, Journey, Walking Dead games, Max Payne 3 and Sound Shapes are in my top 5.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Mass Effect 3 or Borderlands 2, if I had to decide right now. However, I still have to play Dishonored, Halo 4, and Assassin's Creed 3 before I make a final decision.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
Borderlands 2 also because I fell in love with the game hopefully Gearbox does like they did with Borderlands GOTY and release all the DLC(Mechromancer included) with a GOTY.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Bioshock Infinite. Or it would be if it wasn't delayed. Again. Since is was, it's probably SpOps: The line, since I'm a big fan of both apocalypse now and Heart of Darkness. I'd make a close runner-up out of Sniper 2. I feel that game was massively under-rated and don't quite know why. Obscure developer I suppose.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
If you'll let me include free DLC than Mass Effect 3 with the Extended Cut. I know people where complaining about it but then again its the internet. Just about everybody bitches on the internet, even if they don't know what they're bitching about. Personally, I thought it was fantastic, had fun gameplay, good story, great aesthetics, etc. etc.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I'm gonna have to go with an obscure example and say Dustforce here. It's the best platform hell game to come out this year (if not the only good one).
Alternately, I Wanna Be The Guy Gaiden... but that's not really finished yet, so eh.

Then again, Intrusion 2 came out this year and I had been waiting for that one for ages. I mean, the game had a mech with a grappling cannon for one arm and a sword for another! However, Intrusion 2 was rather short, so... I'll stick with Dustforce for now.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
The Walking Dead.

Or maybe Spec Ops the Line. If I finish it.

But so far, The Walking Dead is definitely worthy of the title.

ToffeeMC

Nov 12, 2011
Altorin said:
arkham city. It's so good.

Oh wait, that was november 2011.

Oh well. I've hardly played any 2012 games as this year has been pretty dry. If I had to though, Torchlight 2.

I'm still going with Arkham City. it's the best game i've played this year, for sure.
I'll let it count if you let my shameless picks of Civ 5 and it's expansion and The Binding of Isaac, as they're the only games I've bought this year.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Guild Wars 2, because it's the only MMORPG I've ever really enjoyed. It's also the game I've played the most this year, over threehundred hours. Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored were both great though. I loved the setting in both of those. I'm still looking forward to Hitman Absolution.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm a bit torn, as I've really enjoyed this year's titles. Sleeping Dogs, Spec-Ops: The Line, Hotline Miami, CS:GO and several others.

It's really hard to say which ones I've enjoyed the most as they were all great for very different reasons. While I wasn't overly fond of the slightly accusatory tone of Spec-Ops and HLM (since they forced me to do the killing), I did like how they made me think about -why- I enjoy violence in media. Yes, they're not real people, but that's what they're kind of meant to represent, so what does it say about me when I enjoy watching them burst like meat balloons? I think it's acceptable as entertainment, but I have to wonder what it is inside us that makes it entertaining and even cathartic to make or watch made-up people die.

Sleeping Dogs might be my favourite urban open-world game ever. The combat was stolen from the Arkham games, yes, but it was so much more satisfying, in my opinion. The driving felt really nice and ridiculousness of cars flipping over and exploding when you shoot the tires out was just stupidly fun. The story surprised me, too. It wasn't award winning stuff, to be sure, but it was engaging enough. I liked the characters and I found Wei's subtle internal struggle between relating to the gangsters and being disturbed by his actions quite interesting. Some of the final act was a bit weak, but somehow very satisfying. Without spoiling it, getting revenge in the last couple of missions was very satisfying even if it was slightly ridiculous. The game was really quite funny, too.

CS:GO is just one of the intense multi-player experiences I've had. I never played the original and most of the players on Source were waaaay beyond my skill level so it was just frustrating. The idea of death being relatively final just makes the game so tense, especially when you're the last one alive and you have no idea when someone might just burst around the corner and end you. That's some survival horror shit, right there.

I really need to buy XCOM and Dishono(u)red as well, they look fantastic.

Archindar

Jul 28, 2008
I must say that Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game.
The journey it took you on was something i haven't experienced in a game in a long time.
It made you really care about the characters, and I'm a sucker for games that can make you care.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Having not yet played either one, I postulate my answers to be Dishonored or Assassin's Creed 3.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Guild Wars 2 most definitely. Looking forward to playing AC3 tho, it's my favorite game series and will most likely pick AC3 for GOTY later this year.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
This is going to sound ridiculous, but Forza Horizon. Easily one of the best racing games. Ever. Of all time.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
The Madman said:
Crusader Kings 2

I've actually played a lot of games I consider fantastic this year but of all of them Crusader Kings 2 is not only the one I've spent the most time with but also the one I suspect I'll be playing most in years to come as well. This is the sort of strategy gem I've little doubt will still be enjoyed and talked about for a long time to come.
100% on the money for me, too, there.

Currently on a play through from 1066 onwards as the Buchan family (Eastern Scottish Earls). Family has weathered four generations as mere Earls, never extended their reach beyond the home county. The Empire of Brittania under Emperor Torf the Great covers a good chunk of the Holy Land and almost all of the British Isles (a few Welsh and Irish are subbornly holding out). And then, in 1150 or so, I suddenly noticed something whilst my mouse was hovering over my family ruler - I had somehow become the sole heir of the Kingdom of Denmark (my mother was the King of Denmark's only surviving sibling, and he himself had no direct heirs). The next 10 years saw a flurry of assassination attempts back and forth across the North Sea as the respected but relatively weak Buchanan family consolidated its hold on Denmark through coin and dirk.

Now, sitting on the throne of Denmark, I cannot help but feel dirty. I bought my throne with the blood of the 2 of the previous king's young wives (one was pregnant when she plunged from the battlements), and the blood of his only infant son. Something truly is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Now, if a quick run through of a game creates plots worthy of Game of Thrones and *every time it's different*, that game is the stuff of GOTY to be sure.