What is your "That Book"?

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Noughts & Crosses. My favourite book, easily. When I first read it it was just going to be something to read every now and then, but I couldn't put it down at all. Read it in four hours flat and cried at the ending.

Definitely recommend this one.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
The Dark Tower + the Stand. not a single year where i dont read those masterpieces.
As well as Pratchett and Gaimans Good Omens love that one so much.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
The Lord of the Rings.
I know its a geeky answer, but everytime I feel down, I read that book again.
An amazing complex story of hope and an amazing use of the english language.

Not much to say about it...
If I where stranded somewhere, I would want that book with me above all others.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Apart from Paradise Lost and La Divina Commedia, there isn't a single work of fiction that I had the urge to read twice. (Not Dan Brown, not Tolkien.)

Non-fictional works on the other hand... I've got stuff like "True Crime", "The Dictionary of the Skeptic" and quite a few books on demonology and dead religions that I pick up from time to time.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Hitchikers, until I read it to death. Night Watch, by Pratchett, as well as The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, are both good. The whole Flashman series, by MacDonald Fraser, as well as his wwii autobiographical work, "Quartered Safe Out Here". Also, Deadhouse Gates, by Steven Erikson.

All of those I've read at least four times, some as many as fifteen to twenty times..

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
The Long Walk by Stephen King. Well He actually wrote as Bachman. There is just something special about it. Maybe its the length (nowhere near his usual) maybe it's the main hero (lately he prefers older guys) or it's the actual topic of the book. All in all its pretty good read :)

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
Though Christopher Moore is my favorite author, the only book I have ever re-read is Flowers for Algernon. I've read it three times now, and it's a beautiful book. Poignant and gut-wrenching -- it's the only book that has ever made me cry.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemis Fowl from Eoin Colfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
I actually have a fair few, and that series is one of them.
Matthew Reilly. Any of his books, just brilliant.
Tamora Pierce, mainly her latest two series, the Trickster ones and Beka Cooper.
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy, now with a sequel to that, by Jonathon Stroud.
Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling.
Some Dean Koontz books, The Husband, The Good Guy and Velocity come to mind.
Inheritance Trilogy, Christopher Paolini.
Both of Darren Shan's series'. The Demonata and Shan Saga.
Rangers Apprentice, John Flanagan.
Alex Rider series, Anthoney Horowitz.

I'd say it's rare for me to only read those series once a year.

Racecar1994

Nov 21, 2009
'High Fidelity' by Nick Hornby. One of the few books I've read which I've read more than once, and wish to read again. It's really like being inside the mind of the protagonist, and I love it! : D

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
This
Nah, just kidding. Hmm. Propably Ciaphas Cain series or Game of Thrones and it's sequels.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
Ender's Game. This is the only book I can say is my "that book". I read it about once every two years since I was like 13 or 14. Honestly I find any other books I have read to be sub par after reading Ender's Game. I really only read text books now since other books are just disappointing.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Stuff I keep coming back to?
Shogun (James Clavell), Magician (Raymond Feist), the WoT series (Robert Jordan), and Legend (David Gemmel) are probably the big ones, although I could probably name a few others that I keep returning to, as well. I've read each of those books/series at least a dozen times, because, imo, they're just that good.
SckizoBoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The Count of Monte Cristo, best revenge story ever!

.....what? I just really like reading it.....
Nothing wrong with that, I like reading it too... get past the first two hundred pages and it steams past.

That and Magician by Raymond E Feist, damned good read and blubworthy at a few points.
Huzzah! As for the Count if Monte Cristo, it's the very next thing on my to-read list, assuming that I ever finish War and Peace. :p

Mrsrlg

Jun 1, 2011
Eleven minutes - Paulo Coelho .. Love every single thing about that book!

Also; Artemis Fowl :3

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
World War Z.
Not the most academic choice granted, but I find a little more that I like about that book each time I read it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Bobbity said:
SckizoBoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The Count of Monte Cristo, best revenge story ever!

.....what? I just really like reading it.....
Nothing wrong with that, I like reading it too... get past the first two hundred pages and it steams past.

That and Magician by Raymond E Feist, damned good read and blubworthy at a few points.
Huzzah! As for the Count if Monte Cristo, it's the very next thing on my to-read list, assuming that I ever finish War and Peace. :p
Yah, even though I enjoy the rest of the Midkemia/Pug saga books, Magician is probably still the best of the lot. And as for lCdMC, if you can drag yourself through War & Peace, it'll be a cakewalk (being 1000+ pages long notwithstanding). I tried reading W&P but gave up about a third of the way through. The memories of it are long gone... buried by Alexandre Dumas pere... (amongst others)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have only read one novel more than once since 2004: Prey by Michael Crichton. I guess that's my "that book".

Aisyah Fatihah

Jan 21, 2011
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. Gotta love the flying whale. Also, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.

silver wolf009 said:
Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan. Great books, definitely worth the time to read them.
And this too. The only time I ever bought all books from one series in a week.

InsaneMaggot

Jul 30, 2011
By now i know most of the discworld books by heart. While listening to unabridged audiobooks of it, i can speak along with the text. but there's always a stealth-joke i kept missing, so each time there's something new to keep me amused.
Same thing witch hitchhikers guide and Dirk Gently

Dunno if graphic novels/manga count, but i read bokuran(engl. title "Ours") recently, and this might be a series i'll read again and again.

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
Souldrinker Omnibus, something about what happens to that Chapter... I don't know, just kind of sums up what I'd expect from the Imperium of Man lol