What Minecraft Is Missing

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
What Minecraft Is Missing

Yahtzee offers a few suggestions to improve the Minecraft experience.

Read Full Article

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Ya, a better way to control water and maybe lava would be nice. And make making traps easer.
Maybe suflur blocks too, so you can get dynamite with out messing with creepers. With charcoal in the game all we need saltpeter and we can get really blow the place up. So many good ideas.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
I think Notch has been saying that he will start to have lapis lazuri drop more than 1 gem, like how redstone does. It would certainly be nice.

erandure

Jan 30, 2011
Yahtzee being relatively nice about a game, that settles it, I'm trying this out.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Yahtzee! How dare you criticize minecraft. It is perfect as it is.

On a serious note, I too have wished for a sluice gate, or the ability to make doors horizontal so you can create trap doors. And maybe water should be able to flow through doors as well.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
hawk533 said:
Yahtzee! How dare you criticize minecraft. It is perfect as it is.

On a serious note, I too have wished for a sluice gate, or the ability to make doors horizontal so you can create trap doors. And maybe water should be able to flow through doors as well.
Could not agree more about trap doors. And as an extension of that, perhaps draw/rope bridges.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Lapis Lazuli ore already drops 4-8 dye items [http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Lapis_Lazuli_%28Ore%29]. Still it's quite rare.

What I've always wanted is some kind of Redstone beacon. You could use your compass on it to tune it so that it always points towards the beacon instead of your spawn.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Bursts of coloured confetti and sounds of fanfares and rounds of applause playing whenever you successfully kill an exploding bush monster before it gets to you.
There's a mod for everything, I'm sure this has to be high on someone else's list too.

mattag08

Sep 9, 2009
I think a tutorial actually removes a lot of the experience of the game. Figuring things out purely by experimentation is part of what makes the game so fun. Eventually I did break down and look at the crafting recipe list on the FAQ, but for the most part I figured everything out on my own, which was no easy task...

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Ya know, I think there needs to be more game developers paying attention to Yahtzee. He brings up a lot of good points that game developers need to follow more often. Maybe we'd get to see better games because of this. Well, at least games that are trying to something fun! Minecraft sounds really cool though, guess I'll have to check it out sometime!

powercall

Jun 21, 2008
I can definatly see use for a radar, but it might lose some of the exitment. As for the applause thing I believe you refer to wanting boomer birthday party...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Good points. I would love trap doors as well.

I think Notch might be working on a tutorial, since he's making NPCs. There's supposedly a story, too. Not sure how that will work.

One point about the metal detector: When you get close to unexplored caves, you will hear sometimes hear moaning or screeching or roar sounds play. Now, caves usually have a lot of exposed minerals, which makes finding them a lot easier. So you could just find caves for the special minerals.

Of course, a metal detector would be convenient.

I can't comment on the lapis lazilipa since I've never found one.

Edit:

What about a sort of codex, that updates when you find a mineral? Say you pick up a block of wood. Then it updates to show you how to make planks. Then you make the planks and it updates to show you sticks and crafting tables. Then you pick up some coal. Now it also shows how to make torches. Etc.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
When I started I just lured the Creepers into water before they exploded. Then they dont hurt when they explode. So can I have my fanfare now?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
You know what I want? A bloody trap door! My current method of harvesting creeps, which admittedly is rather satisfying in a "It puts the lotion on its skin" sort of way, but it takes up a lot of space on the map. A trapdoor would help me with that problem.

And something else I would love to see, no more bloody mobs atop my mountain fortress! They can't even get up there by jumping, which means they must spawn there. So, how about an algorithm change that prohibits mobs from spawning in fenced areas, cuz those sheep creep me out.

I'd also love to have a world map, even if it is one that can only be crated and will only fill in the areas you've already explored. All it has to show is the spawn point, the player's location and some areas you can enter manually (ie your fortress atop Mt. Doom).

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
HankMan said:
MineCraftSweeper gave me an awesome idea on how to hold off the zombies. Can you make gunpowder in this game? How bout trip wire?
Yes and yes. Well nearly. You can make TNT and you can activate TNT with wire and you can have pressure plates.

P.S. Ore is less painful to find if you just wander around the underground caverns looking for ore in the walls. I'm not entirely sure its more efficient, and you get lost and die easy, but its better than mining out a nxnxn hole.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
could you add to this list:
- pipes which transport water/lava in a 1*1 block depending what's at the end of the pipe

-floating blocks which are like sand but the other way up . maybe make them sink if a current hits them (for making lifts)

-a pony

-flying/swimming mobs that grab you and try and drown you/drop you from a great height. that would scare the fuck out of me (smacking the mob with enough damage would make it drop you)

-an onslaught mode, which can be set using the difficulty settings were it turns to night 24/7, and more and more mob come until you die. in this mode creepers also have a chance of exploding if near a block the user placed and it doesn't auto save so you dont loose you creation(you can manually save)

EDIT: i know its not very likely but have the world like the crafting box, so if you place set blocks in set places in the game world they become a single item

i want this now... please

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Good points, and completely agree with the trap-door idea that was also mentioned. How else am I meant to easily drop someone into my pit of lava and doom?

My number one suggestion for Minecraft though? STACKING FOOD. Jesus christ, one of my sturdy double chests can hold 3072 heavy cobblestones, but only 48 loaves of bread? And my character can lump around 2304 stones, but only 36 pork chops? Gets damn annoying after a while. At least let the food stack to 5 or something.

P.S. Creepers are dumb, see below!

------------------------

Jin's Creeper Slayin' Tutorial:

What you'll need;

- 4 dirt blocks
- 1 TNT

When the creeper is running directly towards you, quickly build a vertical square between you and him, out of the dirt.

[][] - Dirt
[][]
===== Ground

The creepers don't know the 'go AROUND the dirt' tactic of getting you, so said wall should keep him in place, pressing his face into your awesome mudshield in fury. Now, place the TNT on the ground on your side of the square, and back away in a straight line, keeping the middle of the dirt-square between you and the creeper at all times. As you back off, hit the TNT.

Collect your free sulphur.

But gods help you if there are two of them.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
Nice suggestions and all, but what I really want is a crafting recipe for a bulldozer so I can mow down the hills I have around my own fort right now. It's taking forever now that I've got the dirt mostly gone and am down to the stone.

Powered Minecart + Shovel = Bulldozer, right?

Incognita

Nov 30, 2009
How about a fanfare every time those explody sods comes near? that 'tsssssss' only gives me enough time to brown my trousers.