What old games can still stand against new titles?

Enos Shenk

Mar 14, 2008
nikki191 said:
crusader no remorse and crusader no regret
Yes yes yes. I still cant get either of those running on DosBox for some reason.

Also echoing Deus Ex before they ruined it with the console kiddie sequel.

Im also going to have to say X-Com UFO Defense, just because nobody has made a turn-based squad tactical as good as the first.

Oh, and Elite.

But seriously, some people here need to reconsider "old". Freaking kids.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I'd definately say the Monkey Island series and Grim Fandango. I've also heard good things about LOOM, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Full Throttle.

Other than that I'd suggest Mafia, Deus Ex and Max Payne.

I can guarantee that Money Island and Mafia can stand against new games as I replayed them recently.
You've never played Day of The Tentacle!? If you love the Monkey Island series you owe it to yourself to find and play that game.

And it may have been mentioned already but, Chrono Trigger.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
Gunstar heroes , bloodlines,streets of rage trilogy,and the golden axe trilogy to name a few.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I'd have to say that I prefer the original Dawn of War plus the expansions better than Dawn of War 2. That's not to say DoW2 is a bad game. Quite the opposite actually. It's a very good game. I just prefer the gameplay of the original.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I forgot Master of Orion II:
after all these years, still unmatched and the best space empire building game. The Win 95 version usually runs on newer Windows OS without problems.

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
StarFox 64, and the original Sonic games from the Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis in the 'States).

Also the original Infocom text-based adventure games, and the MYST series. the JourneyMan Project trilogy was good too.

Descent 1&2 still kicks the ass of any other first-person shooter you can name because of two words in its favor: ZERO GRAVITY. However, Descent 3 sucked.

novokast

Mar 12, 2009
Contra 3 has a lot more of a soul to it than games I've been playing for the last three months. Apart from Oblivion, but Morrowind felt way bigger somehow?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SSB Melee (still my favourite), Super Mario Brothers 3, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Starfox 64 and Some old Sonic games. Recently have been playing most of these on my Wii and they still entertain more than most games today.

And on my computer I still play Starcraft, Diablo 2, Titans Quest, Red Alert 2, C&C Generals, Specter (really old 1990s shoot-em-up) and Descent.

Bungalow

Apr 15, 2009
AkJay said:
Half-Life 2, and any game using the Source engine, they are pretty old, yet still fun.
As mentioned before, even Half Life 1 and Opposing force, both still great games.

And the not too long ago but still great, Darwinia. Hopefully if i mention it enough people might get to experience. A couple i don't think have been mentioned, SupCom and it's expansion and TA. Especially with modern graphics actually being able to actually handle it.

Starcraft definitely, UT and Quake 3. Red Alert 2, Secret of Monkey Island, Doom 2, Grim Fandango to name a few.

Ahh nostalgia...

Ajaysallthat

Jul 17, 2009
i think that the original mario games beat the new ones...super paper mario touched back to that but just wasnt the same,
also zelda OoT was better than all of the new ones...in my opinion

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
gamer416 said:
crash bandicoot, the ones by naughty dog, and the first three spyros
Argh! Ninja'd before I even posted. Spyro: Year of the Dragon continues to be my favorite game and have my favorite soundtrack ever.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Starcraft, Warcraft III, Diablo 2, Dawn of War + expansions, Command & Conquer, Civilisations, System Shock 2, Planescape Torment, The sims, Baldurs Gate.

All I can think of from the top of my head.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
The only game that I say truly stands out in my mind is Tony Hawk's Underground 1. It was just so revolutionary for the series, and, frankly, the only real good game since Tony Hawk 3.

Faps

Jul 27, 2008
SWAT 4
System Shock 2
Freedom Force

All made by the same studio oddly enough

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
wow, no love for starcraft? seriously, its easily the best rts ever made.

deus ex: best game ever fucking made.

but to be (kind of) orginal, you gotta play the orginal command and conquer: red alert and red alert 2 (3 is good but nowhere near as good as the first 2, obviously because ea made THE DUMBEST mistake when they closed down westwood). you can download the game for free (legally) on the internet and unless your computer is 20 years old you can run it.

other than that, super metriod, the orginal mega man and mega man x games, and definitly try the mm legends games (so im a mega man fan, wanna fight about it?). arc the lad, the first 2 star ocean games, suikoden 1 and 2, perfect dark, skies of arcadia, metroid prime, god i could go on forever here.