What old IPs/series do you think or would you like to see a new game in?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ya know... I'm surprised Capcom hasn't tried to revive MegaMan Battle Network as a free to play gacha game yet... With all the net navis and forms it seems like something someone would have pushed for already...

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
@meiam It looks like you might be getting your Ogre Battle.
Wrong one sadly, tactics ogre is proto final fantasy tactics. Great story but original one was a bit lacking in gameplay department. They remade it for PSP but gave it the worse class progression system imaginable. Imagine every time you unlock a new class you have to level them from level 1 (character don't have character level, its all class level), almost nothing carries over. Class also don't unlock as you progress trough the story, you just get handed a bunch of new one all at once every so often. So every couple of chapter you have to stop progressing and grind for hours to level all your new classes (or never change class and only use the basic one). You can't even equip them with new equipment cause equipment was class level gated. This also apply to unique NPC special classes, so you'll get some story character with some cool class but you'd need to spend hours leveling them if you want to use them. It's so much grind it killed my willingness to play trough. So maybe they're remaking it and will change the system to something better.

I will say, if it include the GBA tactics ogre (knight of lodis) it has a really cool system that I wish more game would use. Essentially there's a pretty big list of achievement that every character can earn (they're called emblem in the game) it range from simple stuff like kill X enemy or use X weapon Y amount, but you also have plenty of really cool one like have one unit do all the killing in a mission or get a kill naked and so on. Changing class is tied to this system and you need specific emblem to be allowed to change to some class. It's fun because it means you can make your own secondary objective every mission, its not enough to just win the fight, you want to do it in a way that will earn your character new emblems. But some of these emblems come with both positive and negative, so you have to be careful not to get the wrong one.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Wrong one sadly, tactics ogre is proto final fantasy tactics. Great story but original one was a bit lacking in gameplay department. They remade it for PSP but gave it the worse class progression system imaginable. Imagine every time you unlock a new class you have to level them from level 1 (character don't have character level, its all class level), almost nothing carries over. Class also don't unlock as you progress trough the story, you just get handed a bunch of new one all at once every so often. So every couple of chapter you have to stop progressing and grind for hours to level all your new classes (or never change class and only use the basic one). You can't even equip them with new equipment cause equipment was class level gated. This also apply to unique NPC special classes, so you'll get some story character with some cool class but you'd need to spend hours leveling them if you want to use them. It's so much grind it killed my willingness to play trough. So maybe they're remaking it and will change the system to something better.

I will say, if it include the GBA tactics ogre (knight of lodis) it has a really cool system that I wish more game would use. Essentially there's a pretty big list of achievement that every character can earn (they're called emblem in the game) it range from simple stuff like kill X enemy or use X weapon Y amount, but you also have plenty of really cool one like have one unit do all the killing in a mission or get a kill naked and so on. Changing class is tied to this system and you need specific emblem to be allowed to change to some class. It's fun because it means you can make your own secondary objective every mission, its not enough to just win the fight, you want to do it in a way that will earn your character new emblems. But some of these emblems come with both positive and negative, so you have to be careful not to get the wrong one.
I wouldn't mind playing Ogre Battle 64 on my Switch, even if it IS a pain to play if you want to make sure you unlock most of the character units.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wing Commander

Hahahaha... no, let it stay dead.
I know I really wanted a follow up to Prophecy after i played it like twenty years ago. Of course we never got one and after seeing SC and how people who wanted SQ42 got utterly fucked in that deal I don't want another Wing Commander with Roberts invovled.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I know I really wanted a follow up to Prophecy after i played it like twenty years ago. Of course we never got one and after seeing SC and how people who wanted SQ42 got utterly fucked in that deal I don't want another Wing Commander with Roberts invovled.
Whoa there, you've skipped over the clusterfuckery of Starlancer and Freelancer.

Actually, if any space combat sim IP should be renewed I'd vote for Freespace... the crazy one where what ships you flew depended on what squadron you were assigned to at the time and what their role was... instead of the usual (and derpy) having access restricted by rank... although I would demand that they have severe restrictions on the use of nebulas?.. nebulae? the giant space farts that turned games into slideshows.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Did anyone mention Conker’s Bad Fur Day? I’d love to see another one of those, or at least the original game remade.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ya know... I'm surprised Capcom hasn't tried to revive MegaMan Battle Network as a free to play gacha game yet... With all the net navis and forms it seems like something someone would have pushed for already...
I would like to see a Darkstalkers game done in the RE Engine.

Gungrave coming back has gotten me more than excited. A new Timesplitters would be nice too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Actually, if any space combat sim IP should be renewed I'd vote for Freespace... the crazy one where what ships you flew depended on what squadron you were assigned to at the time and what their role was... instead of the usual (and derpy) having access restricted by rank... although I would demand that they have severe restrictions on the use of nebulas?.. nebulae? the giant space farts that turned games into slideshows.
Seeing have Volition have been fucking up by the numbers I wholeheartedly retract this statement.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Think about how much happened on TV and movies since 1999: Jackass, Adult Swim, the rise of various superhero shows, Game of Thrones, Squid Game... now imagine what a new Gex game could do with all that material.

I wonder what Eidos is up to these days...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Think about how much happened on TV and movies since 1999: Jackass, Adult Swim, the rise of various superhero shows, Game of Thrones, Squid Game... now imagine what a new Gex game could do with all that material.

I wonder what Eidos is up to these days...

SNK should bring back Beast Busters. That was a fun light gun arcade duology.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Parasite Eve as an over the shoulder, RPG survival horror, third person shooter would be amazing!
Despite how much I loved Parasite Eve 2 being an action game. I think I would rather see a remake of the first one as a turn based game again, mainly just cause there are so few of those set in a modern world. Although if it had the FF7 Remake treatment, that would be awesome cause combat felt so good in that.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Despite how much I loved Parasite Eve 2 being an action game. I think I would rather see a remake of the first one as a turn based game again, mainly just cause there are so few of those set in a modern world. Although if it had the FF7 Remake treatment, that would be awesome cause combat felt so good in that.
The first game wasn't exactly turn based. At least not traditionally. You're free to move around in combat in charge and use different spells or weapons that hadn't been used yet. Usually by going into the menu if you're selecting a different weapon. That is why my brother and I love the first game so much. While great for the time, doesn't exactly hold up well. Though compared to most PS1 turn based RPGs from that time, we would probably take PE over a majority of them any day. PE2 too much Resident Evil. Also the soundtrack just sucked and relied too much on ambience. The less said about the third game, the better.