What series needs a revival?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Almost 3 pages in and I haven't seen a reference to Onimusha...

Come on guys, how can you say no to this pair:

Also, Freespace needs a sequel. I know its buried in licencing hell, but god damn, that game was awesome and the story was so great.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
deserteagleeye said:
I'm disappointed no one has said this yet.
Shadow Hearts. The combat system was so tense and it had a great sense of humor and still managed to be serious.
Seracen said:
EDIT: Oh lord, Shadow Hearts...one of my fave RPG's..only thing was the 3rd one sort of floundered, esp in comparison to the first two.

While I'm at it...Legend of Dragoon...of course that'll happen right after FF7 HD Remake and HL3...which is to say never.
Gonna go with these two on Shadow Hearts. While I am not a fan of "From The New World", I still consider the first two installments to be some of the best RPGs ever made.

As for other franchises:

Legaia
The original Legend of Legaia has become somewhat of a cult classic - and it's easy to see why. A unique fantasy world with an original story (thanks to the whole Seru thing), a clever combat system that can be best described as "a turn-based fighting game with magic and items", a lot of truly great monster designs and some very atmospheric music. The only bad points I can think of, are the sometimes childish dialogue (bad translation, maybe?) and the lack of detail in the graphics (but then again, this is PSOne we're talking about, it's still not as bad as FF VII).

They made a sequel... But they dropped the whole Seru-aspect which give the first game most of its mojo. Furthermore, the monster designs were less interesting and the best music was the one they copy/pasted from the first one. The only thing they actually improved on, was the combat system (again, except for the magic-aspect, which was based on Seru in the first one).

Lost Odyssey
As far as I know, this was the last truly "classic" JRPG to be made. It's big, epic, has turn-based combat, uses magic and items, focuses on an intriguing story and doesn't look like a third-rate manga intended for 12-year-olds. Apparently, there were plans to run this into a franchise like Final Fantasy and the second one actually got announced at one point... But here we are, 2013 - almost 2014 - and I haven't seen jack so far. Pity.

Jak & Daxter
Seriously, there is still a gaping plot hole BEGGING to be filled. What are you waiting for?! Get going already!

Chrono "insert word"
You know all those companies that are milking their popular franchises till nothing but dust comes spewing from the udder's shriveled teat? Well, how about you take an example, Square-Enix? Not that we need more Final Fantasy spin-offs, but what about the Chrono series? As far as I know, both major installments (not counting Radical Dreamers) were popular, well received and moved quite a bit of units. So why continue Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest, but leave Chrono in the dust?

Devil Dice / Bombastic
Best puzzle/party game ever. Yes, that's a genre. Yes, it is glorious, especially when you go multiplayer.

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
Grandia. Ubisoft was the editor for Europe and I really really wish for a remake of the first game using the ubi art framework. I know it's not going to happen though :(

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I would love a new Castlevania game, we haven't heard from the franchise since Order Of Ecclesia so it's getting overdue. A 2D entry would be fine (maybe one where they go back to basics a bit?), but i would also like to see a proper 3D game. Think Dark Souls but with the style and music of Symphony Of The Night, could be pretty damn bad ass if they managed to pull it off. Maybe a but more platform centric and a different combat system, but same badic structure and difficulty.

And speaking of oldschool horror homages, a new Maximo would be quite awesome, as long as they ignore Maximo 2 and returns to the gameplay style of the first game.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
hermes200 said:
Almost 3 pages in and I haven't seen a reference to Onimusha...

Come on guys, how can you say no to this pair:

Also, Freespace needs a sequel. I know its buried in licencing hell, but god damn, that game was awesome and the story was so great.
Actually that's the only Onimusha game i disliked, but i think they saved the series with the fourth game. Just as shame they chose to bury it...

Calendor1

Oct 22, 2008
Crash Bandicoot

Okami

Mother/Earthboun

Maverick Hunter X: the Mega Man X PSP Remake

MediEvil

So many great series that have fallen by the way side. I think out of all of these, I'd want to see Okami back most of all.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Metroid.
The last Metroid game was Prime 3: Corruption back in 07.
What? You mean there was another game more recently made by Team Ninja?
No, that would be stupid.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chartic said:
Super Patrick Bateman Experience 64
Holy shitballs! That has to happen! Right now!

I thought at first you meant TV series, in which case i was going to say Invader Zim. However, having said that anyway, ummmm, perfect dark, banjo kazooie/tooie, *cough* Half life *cough* Whew, bit of a cold there, sorry!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Souplex said:
What? You mean there was another game more recently made by Team Ninja?
No, that would be stupid.
Lol. Indeed! People keep telling me otherwise, in fact i did own a game that resembled itself to be a metroid game, but the facts tell me that metroid games are truly awesome explorative (it is a word now, assholes) games in which i lost many of my hard earned hours on. This one was not the case

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Banjo-Kazooie (even though I actually enjoyed Nuts and Bolts), Conker, and Battletoads (all internet jokes aside).

So basically, I want Rare to make actual games again.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
Ignoring that all these games are getting new instalments (fanmade or otherwise) in the (un)foreseeable future:
Dungeon Keeper
Might & Magic
Battlezone

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Roofstone said:
-Snippity-
Without Crash I don't think I'd have fully enjoyed games like Spyro and conquers Bad Fur day were it not for him so I'd very much consider him for a revival, as long as Sony get's the rights to him back.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
marioandsonic said:
Banjo-Kazooie (even though I actually enjoyed Nuts and Bolts), Conker, and Battletoads (all internet jokes aside).

I was literally thinking of writing this exact thing, but you got there first, you fluffturd!! ;)

The Crispy Tiger

Dec 11, 2013
Vampires: The Masquerade. This is a RPG that is truly ripe for the picking with a great world, atmosphere, and many stories to mine. BETHESDA, GRAB IT ALREADY.

The Crispy Tiger

Dec 11, 2013
marioandsonic said:

What?!? Who could possibly not enjoy the barley functioning charm of Kinect Adventures...

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
otakon17 said:
the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Yesss... Except, this time, just split the gold into two different pouches, that thing where both players pulled from the same pool was irksome.
Jasper van Heycop said:
Rise of Nations/Rise of Legends
Lord of the Rings:Battle for Middle Earth
Wait, you mean I don't have to come in here and be the first to mention BFME? Besides, we've had two hobbit movies and not even a teaser... Come on EA, the blatant cash grab is just giving you a good, hard glare right now...

I really want BFME3...

MetalX2k

Jan 5, 2013
Can they make a really epic Rygar game? One of the few titles from my youth, if they did it really well, then I might be a happy grown-up...or for more "recent" fair how's the reputation of the Legacy of Kane thru Soul Reaver series holding up? =p

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Space sims. The entire genre. We've got Star Citizen, but that's not going to be completed/come out until 2015. There have been a few games on PC which have come out, but they all tend to feel like they shoud've come out about fifteen years ago. Or at least they most certainly look it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Vigilante 8 it bloody well has to be! Current gen explosive upgradable car battles of awesome!! I never really found twisted metal that good, but surely...i would love this shit to be explored deeper now. Changable destructive levels, customisable vehicles perhaps with transformations and character specific specials with subgoals and storyline. It cant be THAT hard to do, surely??