What Skyrim Learned from Fallout 3

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
Greg Tito said:
"You'll still run into the weaker stuff and you'll just decimate it."
I guess we can add him to the list of people who don't know what decimate means. Does anyone have that clip where the Mexican tells that bald guy he doesn't think that word means what he think it means?
I guess we can add you to the list of people who still think they live in the Roman Empire? Decimate has taken the meaning of greatly reduce numbers(wich can be applied to killing a shit ton of enemies)

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
draythefingerless said:
I guess we can add you to the list of people who still think they live in the Roman Empire?
Now that you mention it I did find the lack of Centurions in my area odd, I just assumed the empire was being lax when it came to military presence in peace time.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
well that sounds nice. i was already going to get the game, but it's always cooler to have even more reasons to look forward to it.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
draythefingerless said:
I guess we can add you to the list of people who still think they live in the Roman Empire?
Now that you mention it I did find the lack of Centurions in my area odd, I just assumed the empire was being lax when it came to military presence in peace time.
Its obvious Caesar has had to cut down on the military sector to pick up on ammounted debts. I hear the Senate isnt very happy with this decision....they might make some cuts to his measures.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
dragongit said:
If they can learn anything from their previous games, is to make a PC launch that isn't buggy.
Ditto. I'm hoping the biggest lesson they learned is to do a better job of coding the game engine.

Who am I kidding? They will never learn.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Greg Tito said:
The conversation system has also been tweaked. "There's very few completely random conversations," said Howard. "We've gone more towards a system, like we did in Fallout 3, where they have a specific conversation with a specific person about various topics."
This is exactly what I've been afraid off the entire time...

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Deleted Annoying Massively drawn out Oblivion Talking system? Hmm intrigued.

Deleted horrible lvl up monster system where theres suddenly a a fire breathing Minotaur giant outside the starter farm. Hmm what is this"

No silly Oblivion rift everywhere?? Omg, the game suddenly isnt a crap sequal.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
Greg Tito said:
"You'll still run into the weaker stuff and you'll just decimate it."
Does anyone have that clip where the Mexican tells that bald guy he doesn't think that word means what he think it means?

I do not think Mexican means what you think it means.

Back on Track:

As long as the game's main questline doesn't involve farming repetitive boring copy/paste dungeons over and over, I'm good. I've put in countless hours in Oblivion, but I've never completed the main quest, because not playing Oblivion is actually more fun than the goddamn gates.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
Here's an idea. Put a clear PONR that the game autosaves at and can be accessed at any time to allow you to avoid being locked into the ending unwittingly. That way you can get your side-quest on after completing the game with a simple quick-load.
Or make a good excuse for continuing after the main story has been finished like in Assassin's Creed (2?, Brotherhood?). That was brilliant.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
matrix3509 said:
zehydra said:
I think when people complain about how much the story in Fallout 3 sucked, they missed the point of the game completely. The game worked much better in an exploratory, episodic manner (quests), as do RPGs in general. An over-arching story is good, but not necessary to have an awesome game.
So RPGs don't require good stories? Lolwut? You do know what the acronym RPG stands for right? Just for the record the Fallout 3 main plot was literally the worst story I've ever had the displeasure to endure.
yes, RPG stands for Role Playing Game. And overall story is never required in a role play. In Fallout 3, the side quests WERE the game's main focus. Those who played nothing but the main quest missed the point of the game completely.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zehydra said:
matrix3509 said:
zehydra said:
I think when people complain about how much the story in Fallout 3 sucked, they missed the point of the game completely. The game worked much better in an exploratory, episodic manner (quests), as do RPGs in general. An over-arching story is good, but not necessary to have an awesome game.
So RPGs don't require good stories? Lolwut? You do know what the acronym RPG stands for right? Just for the record the Fallout 3 main plot was literally the worst story I've ever had the displeasure to endure.
yes, RPG stands for Role Playing Game. And overall story is never required in a role play. In Fallout 3, the side quests WERE the game's main focus. Those who played nothing but the main quest missed the point of the game completely.
Not even close to the meaning of RPG. You're supposed to be playing the role of a vault dweller who's looking for his/her father. That kind of link to well with the main story of F3 too much for the main story to be discounting the main story at all.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Not to disappoint, but I bet that everyone will get hugely disappointed when you can't fly a dragon, nor destroy a complete village with the help of over 10 minions, nor use none of the important spells that you could use in Oblivion like the Unlock/Lock Spell, or the invisiblity spell, remember those and how useful they were?! Another huge disappointment will be for those Entrepreuner Role Players who like having a passive income while questing around. We want more reasons to loot someone's businesses and estates, and being able to steal their own money and buy their business and estates from underneith them is loads of fun!!! It's very easy to implement so why have they sucked in this department. GTA4 was a huge disappointment for this very reason, everyone quit playing because you couldn't do anything with the riches you obtained in the game. Now Fable II and III, almost mastered the concept, but didn't think about how you needed dynamic real estate and dynamic business district growth in your virtual NPC worlds. Put those NPCs to real virtual work with building actual digital homes, digital businesses, and digital environments!!! You may discover a whole new technology for creating video games content pipeline if you try this with created A.I. Director/worker NPC subscripts!!! (Rant over)I am sure Bethseda took these amazing things out of the game to make it "better" for the their greed, and will sell them as DLC after the first month/2weeks of release. A lot of games are on a fringe about taking what was amazing about the old game and leaving it out of the new game to only make it available in the DLC as an update or such. Examples. MTG 2012, Fable III, FO: New Vegas, and COD: Black Ops.

They are using the economy's excuses of The Depression or Inflation to jack up prices as high as they can and find more ways to give less to you and charge you more for it. Examples, "Fun" size candy, Ice cream with giant dips in them, chip bags full of air, Milk has a side indent in the containers now, 1.5 liter bottles..., more "concentrated" detergent in smaller volumes, Plastics used everywhere, Ipod 5th generation just sucks horribly and cost $100 more, and now the game industry with DLC, Online Passes, and First-access Monthly subscriptions...

Ceres (inner astroid belt dwarf planet) needs to collide into the Earth to destroy all the greed, control, and corruption of this world.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
ruthaford_jive said:
Eventidal said:
ruthaford_jive said:
Hopefully they put a few machine guns in Skyrim... that would make things badass. I can imagine it now, my character riding on a dragon, my awesome bandanna of infinite ammo flailing in the wind, totting duel M240s in my arms as I descend upon a helpless village.
I can almost guarantee you it won't be in the game, but I can also almost guarantee you some users out there will mod it in and you can live your dream. :)
someday... someday.
Oh it will happen.

You can get various gun mods for Oblivion and motorbikes.

Pretty sure someone will mod in some guns for Skyrim.

I'd do it myself but i'm boring like that, I try to keep my mods "lore friendly" if you will.

But I know of at least 2 people over at the TESNexus that will be doing guns for Skyrim, just don't know how soon.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
All this hate for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

You know, neither was what I would call fantastic or perfect, but somehow there's about two-hundred hours of my life missing and the only thing I can remember before hand is launching those programs to play them. :\

As long as a company does what they can to learn from their mistakes and then release a better product I'd be happy. I mean, I found Morrowind basically unplayable as a stealth character. It was just too difficult to level up sneak and stuff in a RPG-y fashion. Sure, I could stick around town being the creepy-crouchy guy who tailed people until he got more sneak, but I would get bored make a mage or fighter and just blast through the main story.

Morrowind is hardly perfect either. :| In a game where "playing the way you want" is the goal, they must have hated thieves.

Also, we owe Oblivion for the Dark Brotherhood faction and the Thieves' Guild. It was new tech, on a new system, in a new stage of gaming... I'm willing to cut them a little slack. True, they made gnarly mistakes, but I'd rather take a Bethesda game over an Obsidian one as far as bugs tend to go.

Fallout 3 crashed ten times in nearly a hundred hours of play, New Vegas crashed thirty times in thirty hours of play.