What state were you born in and live in now?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But what about the weather? What about the scenery? The food?!
We have crazy weather too; especially around Winter. So far we've been getting mostly sunny days, but we've been getting rain every now and then. The storms in southern states still effects those in the mid-west and north east. Food is excellent. I reccomend you go to resturants in Detroit and Downtown Detroit (more so), Southfield, Troy, Allen Park, Dearborn, and other cities I will think of later.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Check underneath my profile picture.
The land of the better Deep Dish Pizza and RoboCop, a fine place.

I do wonder how many times per year are the citizens of Detroit required to watch RoboCop?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The land of the better Deep Dish Pizza and RoboCop, a fine place.

I do wonder how many times per year are the citizens of Detroit required to watch RoboCop?
If it's the original, as much as you want. The sequels vary. No one says anything about that boring awful remake. Dredd (2012) is a better RoboCop film. Ironic, because RoboCop was originally supposed to be a Judge Dredd film, but they could not secure the rights. It's noticeable in Murphy's design.

Reactions: Dalisclock and Kae

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If it's the original, as much as you want. The sequels vary. No one says anything about that boring awful remake. Dredd (2012) is a better RoboCop film. Ironic, because RoboCop was originall supposed to be a Judge Dredd film, but they could not secure the rights. It's noticeable in Murphy's design.
To be fair that first RoboCop film is unironically a masterpiece, and while it does deal with a lot of themes that were present in the Judge Dredd comics, to the point that it's impossible not to notice the influence if you are familiar with both works, it's also uncanny that despite the obvious inspiration (as you said due to it starting as an adaptation) the two works end with very different messages and very different protagonists, since you are actually supposed to sympathise and root for Murphy, but yeah, it's a good thing Verhooven's wife convinced him to give the script a chance because it legit has more layers than an onion, the political commentary is spot on to the point of coming across as downright prophetic in some aspects and the fact that it doesn't really pull any punches, but I'll stop right there because I do love that movie quite a lot.

Also, we got some of the best Coneys' to rival NYC.
Aye, I did see some foodies vlogging about how they were better than New York's, once the quarantine is over and I'm able to cross the border again (Legally, guys don't call the feds!) it seems like doing a small tour over there could be a nice thing to do, would need to ask for more recommendations along the way, besides it'd also be a good opportunity to acquire some tabletop games that aren't sold over here.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
To be fair that first RoboCop film is unironically a masterpiece, and while it does deal with a lot of themes that were present in the Judge Dredd comics, to the point that it's impossible not to notice the influence if you are familiar with both works, it's also uncanny that despite the obvious inspiration (as you said due to it starting as an adaptation) the two works end with very different messages and very different protagonists, since you are actually supposed to sympathise and root for Murphy, but yeah, it's a good thing Verhooven's wife convinced him to give the script a chance because it legit has more layers than an onion, the political commentary is spot on to the point of coming across as downright prophetic in some aspects and the fact that it doesn't really pull any punches, but I'll stop right there because I do love that movie quite a lot.
But you can’t put politics into a movie. That would ruin it

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
But you can’t put politics into a movie. That would ruin it
You're right, forget about everything I said RoboCop is just a dumb movie about a Cyborg cop that kills bad guys because they are bad, and it definitely has nothing to do with the fact that they are capitalists that have exploited the system so far that they have acquired control of law enforcement, nor is it about what it means to be human or anything of the sort, it's just a movie that I'd buy for a dollar and it's just awesome because Cyborg kills bad guys real good , REAL GOOD.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Something I'm starting to wonder is just where everyone on the forums comes from. Obviously this really only applies to Muricans, but if those that aren't U.S. want to chime in then feel free.

For myself, I was born in MO and while I've occasionally gone on vacations out of state, I've lived in MO all my life. Show me state, Midwesterner, and sufferer of inconsistent weather. How bout the rest of ya?
Well, I'm a neighbor then. I was born in Kansas and it's where I live now. Weather, much like yours... maybe slightly more drought prone than MO added to the usual nightmare that weather in the midwest is. And of course there is the natural rivalry between our states going back to bad blood during the civil war (Missouri Compromise, Bleeding Kansas, Quantrill's raiders and the Lawrence massacre.) But for as much as Kansans are suppose to dislike Missouri... good gods its so beautiful compared to Kansas. I've vacationed in Missouri a lot over the years, most Kansans have. I really doubt many in Missouri do the same except for stopping on I-70 for a few minutes on their way to Colorado. In Kansas there are some lovely foothills in the eastern 5th of the state, and the remaining 4/5ths is driving past the same completely flat farmland for hundreds of miles until you are ready to just give up in despair for wanting a curve in the road or something other than a silo or windmill in the distance.

So that covers weather and scenery... now the food then. Mostly similar to Missouri, other than we can't lay claim to the really good barbecue because that's in KC which is mostly yours. There was at one point a sizeable number of Lebanese settlers here in Kansas, so there are some touches of that in the food here and there. Example you are just as likely here to be offered Baklawa (ba Lay uh wa) as you might be Baklava elsewhere. And of course that's not all we pronounce differently. Like Arkansas, which when referring to as the state we pronounce like everyone else does. But when it comes to the river, or a town in southern Kansas called Arkansas City... to us it is (ar-Kan-zus) as opposed to (ar-kun-Saw.) I don't know why, it just is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well, I'm a neighbor then. I was born in Kansas and it's where I live now. Weather, much like yours... maybe slightly more drought prone than MO added to the usual nightmare that weather in the midwest is. And of course there is the natural rivalry between our states going back to bad blood during the civil war (Missouri Compromise, Bleeding Kansas, Quantrill's raiders and the Lawrence massacre.) But for as much as Kansans are suppose to dislike Missouri... good gods its so beautiful compared to Kansas. I've vacationed in Missouri a lot over the years, most Kansans have. I really doubt many in Missouri do the same except for stopping on I-70 for a few minutes on their way to Colorado. In Kansas there are some lovely foothills in the eastern 5th of the state, and the remaining 4/5ths is driving past the same completely flat farmland for hundreds of miles until you are ready to just give up in despair for wanting a curve in the road or something other than a silo or windmill in the distance.

So that covers weather and scenery... now the food then. Mostly similar to Missouri, other than we can't lay claim to the really good barbecue because that's in KC which is mostly yours. There was at one point a sizeable number of Lebanese settlers here in Kansas, so there are some touches of that in the food here and there. Example you are just as likely here to be offered Baklawa (ba Lay uh wa) as you might be Baklava elsewhere. And of course that's not all we pronounce differently. Like Arkansas, which when referring to as the state we pronounce like everyone else does. But when it comes to the river, or a town in southern Kansas called Arkansas City... to us it is (ar-Kan-zus) as opposed to (ar-kun-Saw.) I don't know why, it just is.
I will say that you guys at least occupy a more distinctive space in the country's counsiousness with movies like The Wizard of Oz. What do we Missourians have? Meet Me In St.Louie? Does anyone outside of MO even watch that anymore?