What state were you born in and live in now?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I will say that you guys at least occupy a more distinctive space in the country's counsiousness with movies like The Wizard of Oz. What do we Missourians have? Meet Me In St.Louie? Does anyone outside of MO even watch that anymore?
Its funny you mention that. You bring that up with a Kansan and generally the best you'll get in return is an eyeroll and a "whatever man" kind of response. I admit it is distinctive, but its also a reference we tend to hate. Unless you are in Wamego, Kan., where they kind of step into it as a tourism draw and is where the Oz museum can be found.

We don't mind the Superman connection. About 4 or 5 small towns have tried to get the whole "we're actually Smallville" thing going. Hutchinson changed its name to Smallville for a day, a postal code from the TV show places it in Chase, Kan., according to another of the TV shows its somewhere along I-70. One of the comics places it a day's horse ride from Payola, Kan. which puts it pretty close to the greater Kansas City metro area.

And yet all we get while traveling is "where's Toto?" I almost envy Missouri's lack of distinctive space in people's minds. Its kind of a hidden gem of a place to visit in the U.S., although the tourist season in Branson tends to make me rethink the use of the word "hidden."

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Moved from Florida to the midwest.

I miss Waffle House and easy beach access.
I don't miss Palmetto Bugs.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Moved from Florida to the midwest.

I miss Waffle House and easy beach access.
I don't miss Palmetto Bugs.
Wait, Waffle House is in the midwest; I'm from Ohio and can think of no fewer than 600 hundred of them within a 5 minute drive from my parents' house. What Midwestern state did you move to?

Also, why do you miss Waffle House? Good Lord, raise your standards for breakfast foods.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Its funny you mention that. You bring that up with a Kansan and generally the best you'll get in return is an eyeroll and a "whatever man" kind of response. I admit it is distinctive, but its also a reference we tend to hate. Unless you are in Wamego, Kan., where they kind of step into it as a tourism draw and is where the Oz museum can be found.

We don't mind the Superman connection. About 4 or 5 small towns have tried to get the whole "we're actually Smallville" thing going. Hutchinson changed its name to Smallville for a day, a postal code from the TV show places it in Chase, Kan., according to another of the TV shows its somewhere along I-70. One of the comics places it a day's horse ride from Payola, Kan. which puts it pretty close to the greater Kansas City metro area.

And yet all we get while traveling is "where's Toto?" I almost envy Missouri's lack of distinctive space in people's minds. Its kind of a hidden gem of a place to visit in the U.S., although the tourist season in Branson tends to make me rethink the use of the word "hidden."
Yeah I guess I can see that all getting annoying. I do think one of our strengths is how we're a nice blending of rural and urban that makes it so we have a bit of everything.

Also, speaking of The Wizard of Oz, I'm also not fond of you guys sneezing your tornadoes on us all the time.

Wait, Waffle House is in the midwest; I'm from Ohio and can think of no fewer than 600 hundred of them within a 5 minute drive from my parents' house. What Midwestern state did you move to?

Also, why do you miss Waffle House? Good Lord, raise your standards for breakfast foods.

Am I more or less of a degenerate for liking McDonalds pancakes for breakfast?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Am I more or less of a degenerate for liking McDonalds pancakes for breakfast?
Oh, way less of a degenerate (not suggesting that Tsun Tzu is a degenerate, mind you.) Waffle Houses are basically crime scenes that serve "breakfast," and I'll allow those quotes to infer whatever your imagination can conjure because yes.

A bar acquaintance of mine once bragged about having sex with a prostitute on a Waffle House air conditioning unit at 2:00am, and that's was probably only the 13th most salacious thing that happened that quarter hour of the evening on the building's premises.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
You're indifferent to the stifling humid heat and the alligators then?
If you're not walking out into a sauna, is it really home?

I'd have to drive a few hours down to Indianapolis to get to one- and I'm not drunk enough.

And, excuse me, but there is nothing in this world that's more consoling while absolutely smashed at 3 AM than a nice, big buttermilk waffle with completely unimpressive coffee, surrounded by fellow alcoholics singing Dancing Queen because that's what the small girl in the corner decided to throw on the Jukebox.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
And, excuse me, but there is nothing in this world that's more consoling while absolutely smashed at 3 AM than a nice, big buttermilk waffle with completely unimpressive coffee, surrounded by fellow alcoholics singing Dancing Queen because that's what the small girl in the corner decided to throw on the Jukebox.
Ladies and gentlemen, add to this the aforementioned backyard A/C prostitutional transaction and a dead body in the mens' restroom, and you've got the quintessential Waffle House experience.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If you're not walking out into a sauna, is it really home?

I'd have to drive a few hours down to Indianapolis to get to one- and I'm not drunk enough.

You're too old to be absolutely smashed at 3am, tho. Sounds to me like Wafflehouse is just a symbol for your wayward youth, forever lost to you. Someday you'll be 45 and will hit your midlife crisis, you'll run out in the night and drive down to Florida, you'll file into the first Wafflehouse you see and will order your soggy waffles and burnt coffee, you'll watch a gang fight and be propositioned by an obviously syphilitic prostitute, and you'll realize that it's just not what you remember, your friends aren't there, your body isn't what it was, the world has moved on and left you derelict, and even your tears have no impact on your world as they disappear into the already wet waffles.

That, and you'll probably throw up because you're old and your body can't absorb what it used to.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I was born alive and near as I can tell, still am.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
You're too old to be absolutely smashed at 3am, tho. Sounds to me like Wafflehouse is just a symbol for your wayward youth, forever lost to you. Someday you'll be 45 and will hit your midlife crisis, you'll run out in the night and drive down to Florida, you'll file into the first Wafflehouse you see and will order your soggy waffles and burnt coffee, you'll watch a gang fight and be propositioned by an obviously syphilitic prostitute, and you'll realize that it's just not what you remember, your friends aren't there, your body isn't what it was, the world has moved on and left you derelict, and even your tears have no impact on your world as they disappear into the already wet waffles.

That, and you'll probably throw up because you're old and your body can't absorb what it used to.
Look, ewok. When dealing with a waffle house prostitute, you have a 66% chance of choosing the safe hole. Waffle House is for risk takers. People who take chances in life. You want safety? Go to a cracker barrel. You want to live? You want to really hit the gas? Then you go to waffle house.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Look, ewok. When dealing with a waffle house prostitute, you have a 66% chance of choosing the safe hole. Waffle House is for risk takers. People who take chances in life. You want safety? Go to a cracker barrel. You want to live? You want to really hit the gas? Then you go to waffle house.
You fool. There are no safe holes in Waffle House. You simply are choosing a body fluid infection vector: saliva, pus, blood, or... genitalial.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
You fool. There are no safe holes in Waffle House. You simply are choosing a body fluid infection vector: saliva, pus, blood, or... genitalial.
You lack imagination.

I grew up in waffle house. My PTSD ridden grandfather would sit in the corner with his back to the wall, so that he could see all the doors and windows. I remember a waitress having a mental breakdown and calling me a shit head when I was nine, because her boyfriend had just broken up with her. I remember calling the cops, because a drunk redneck tried to molest the cashier after attacking the cook. Playing Swans the Seer on a two hour loop in college, because two guys next to the jukebox told me not to play "gay music." Watching people do drugs in alley's. Seeing an old man randomly sit at your table, so that he can tell you about how your college embezzled money from blind old women. Wandering in drunk with your friends at 5am, despite having a 20 page paper due in two and a half hours...

I have experienced all of these things and more. What memories do you have, ewok? Biscuits and gravy with hashbrowns next to your meemaw? You do not know what it is to die. You don't even know what it is to live.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom

So...if I follow you here.

You're suggesting I should go for the pancakes instead.

Good call, mang.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I'm 100% from Wonderland! Completely serious! We're all mad down here, etc.

I'm really from Wisconsin and I haven't moved since, though I did live in upstate New York with my girlfriend at the time for a couple of months. I don't like admitting it because I'm not really proud of where I live.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm 100% from Wonderland! Completely serious! We're all mad down here, etc.

I'm really from Wisconsin and I haven't moved since, though I did live in upstate New York with my girlfriend at the time for a couple of months. I don't like admitting it because I'm not really proud of where I live.
Why? What's wrong with Wisconsin?

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So like 90% or so of Arizona residents, born in Illinois and then my family all moved down here about 20+ years ago and have lived here since. It's a beautiful state, imo, with lots of different scenery from dunes, to high plains, mountains, desert and pine forests. Plus, I believe AZ has the highest concentration of dark sky in the continental US.

Also, the past few election cycles have seen the state move from hard red to more purple, so we got this fun mix of looser gun laws and medical marijuana. @Kae As the AZ resident here, sorry you had to go through that. While we do have a sizeable population of minorities, we also have a large population of snow birds and old people, who tend to be just unpleasant in general.

EDIT: Words

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
So like 90% or so of Arizona residents, born in Illinois and then my family all moved down here about 20+ years ago and have lived here since. It's a beautiful state, imo, with lots of different scenery from dunes, to high plains, mountains, desert and pine forests. Plus, I believe AZ has the highest concentration of dark sky in the continental US.

Also, the past few election cycles have seen the state move from hard red to more purple, so we got this fun mix of looser gun laws and medical marijuana. @Kae As the AZ resident here, sorry you had to go through that. While we do have a sizeable population of minorities, we also have a large population of snow birds and old people, who tend to be just unpleasant in general.

EDIT: Words
No need to apologise for someone else's actions, I'm pretty sure the only reason it's stuck with me it's because I was 14 at the time and had never experienced anything like that and since I was a pretty shy and nervous kid the old lady yelling at me really freaked me out, I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything else in public during the whole trip.
Now I'm older and I've had to deal with the racist fucks at customs as well as with a few other assholes like that, so it's not like a huge deal, I don't get freaked out anymore but I do get angry and talk back to people, because seriously if I'm visiting your country and giving you business you should be thanking me, but whatever having family in the USA is kind of a pain.

Yeah unfortunately since it was a while ago I don't remember much from the trip other than the racist lady and the racist guy at the shop, since those were the most unique experiences and I was only there for like a day or two anyway.

I guess next time I visit the USA I should go with a white friend, to avoid suspicion or something.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Funnily enough, the only memory I have of AZ is from a weeks long road trip I took with my dad at like...8-years-old? 9? That range.

We got stopped by some AZ state troopers. They made him get out of the car, patted down, bent over the squad car, hassled us for a solid hour or so, had him get out his (legally transported) gun, and proceeded to call it in- generally were just jerks. Primarily remember being scared of my dad getting hauled off or something.

Basically what I'm saying is, how could you, Mister Mumbler? How could you give me such a traumatic childhood memory?

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Basically what I'm saying is, how could you, Mister Mumbler? How could you give me such a traumatic childhood memory?
You know exactly what you and your father did to deserve it, crime.

But yeah, our state troopers are quite the over zealous bunch aren't they?

Reactions: Kae