What state were you born in and live in now?

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
No.

<Image Snip>
Okay I can see you guys wanting your own Manchester because that place is fairly big and important, and Liverpool was a heavyweight port that would have been the starting point for a lot of people heading to America...but Newcastle, really?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Okay I can see you guys wanting your own Manchester because that place is fairly big and important, and Liverpool was a heavyweight port that would have been the starting point for a lot of people heading to America...but Newcastle, really?
A lot of small towns in Texas out in the country side were started by immigrant groups that were mostly out of a single place, and they simply named their new town after their hometown. Or out of the Bible. There's a Bethlehem, Texas somewhere.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
A lot of small towns in Texas out in the country side were started by immigrant groups that were mostly out of a single place, and they simply named their new town after their hometown. Or out of the Bible. There's a Bethlehem, Texas somewhere.
If Carnivale taught me anything, there are a lot of biblical towns in the Dust Bowlish area

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
By the opposite count, people know a lot of place names in New England originate from... well, England, but Boston, MA has overshadowed so far Boston, Lincs that there are some Brits who don't realise that the latter is indeed a place and came first.

Anyway, the US being the US, I'm sure you could have full tours of European place names several times over, state by state. -_-

Wasn't naming after famous places just a thing for immigrants as well? Considering how many towns are called 'Athens' I don't think there were THAT many Athenian immigrants to the US! ¬_¬

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
By the opposite count, people know a lot of place names in New England originate from... well, England, but Boston, MA has overshadowed so far Boston, Lincs that there are some Brits who don't realise that the latter is indeed a place and came first.

Anyway, the US being the US, I'm sure you could have full tours of European place names several times over, state by state. -_-

Wasn't naming after famous places just a thing for immigrants as well? Considering how many towns are called 'Athens' I don't think there were THAT many Athenian immigrants to the US! ¬_¬
Athens is a city and the county seat of Henderson County, Texas, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 12,710. The city has called itself the "Black-Eyed Pea Capital of the World." Athens was selected as one of the first "Certified Retirement Communities" in Texas. It was named after Athens, Alabama, by one of the early residents who came from there; not Greece's capital.
You'll notice I didn't specify that the immigrants had to be from Europe 😉

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
You'll notice I didn't specify that the immigrants had to be from Europe 😉
Sure, but there's still Athens, OH, Athens, TN and Athens, GA. That's a whole lot of Athens for Greeks to be confused about!

EDIT - Not going to list them all but there're a couple dozen states each with an Athens in them, didn't realise quite how many until I looked it up. Eeeeesh...

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Sure, but there's still Athens, OH, Athens, TN and Athens, GA. That's a whole lot of Athens for Greeks to be confused about!
All that Greeks need to see to be confused is a boy with shaved legs wearing a miniskirt. It activates the proclivities of their ancestors.

That's right, @Neuromancer, you heard me.

Edit: Athens is an interesting example. 2 of those cities were named after Athens because they were home to some of their states' first universities, and called themselves Athens after the Platonic Academy. Athens, TN is "said to be named after Athens, Greece, possibly due to topographical similarities", and my experience with old town records translates that to "nobody actually knows why the town is named after Athens, it just is and all the records there are of it are the best guesses that started happening after the first generation of settlers died off".

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The stupid state of TX and the stupid state of TX.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

EDIT - Not going to list them all but there're a couple dozen states each with an Athens in them, didn't realise quite how many until I looked it up. Eeeeesh...
Holy shit, I didn't realize that either. That's almost as bad as Springfield, at least as far as the US is concerned.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The stupid state of TX and the stupid state of TX.
Texas isn't that bad, to be honest I had a very pleasant experience when I was there unlike in Arizona where there were some people that were fairly racist, with one store refusing to sell to me and bumping into the typical Karen scenario of having an old lady telling me to speak English, well at least in my experience, I'll admit I've only been to the South of Texas (Brownsville and MCallen and Corpus Christi mainly.) , so they're probably more OK with Mexicans there than the rest since they often deal with them, while in Arizona I was in in Phoenix only, though I didn't expect it since I hear a high amount of the Phoenix population is Latino.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Texas isn't that bad, to be honest I had a very pleasant experience when I was there unlike in Arizona where there were some people that were fairly racist, with one store refusing to sell to me and bumping into the typical Karen scenario of having an old lady telling me to speak English, well at least in my experience, I'll admit I've only been to the South of Texas (Brownsville and MCallen and Corpus Christi mainly.) , so they're probably more OK with Mexicans there than the rest since they often deal with them, while in Arizona I was in in Phoenix only, though I didn't expect it since I hear a high amount of the Phoenix population is Latino.
I suppose that is something we have, even in small towns people will generally be polite to your face. The cities tend to be pretty good though, even though we need high speed rail badly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Australia has a Newcastle as well, which is one of the world's major coal ports. Normally when we copy a British name it's attached to something pointlessly small, which I've often found embarassing.