What the Hell, Gearbox?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I thought I was playing Halo with pigs.

I mean, I liked the demo, I wanted to play more, but seriously, the auto regen health and 2 weapon limit needs to go.

This isn't the Duke I remembered.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
BlastedTheWorm said:
Blame 3D Realms, not Gearbox. Gearbox have had Duke for a few months, 3D Realms have been working on it for 14 years.
This.

Borderlands let you carry over 42 guns at once, this is NOT gearboxs fault.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
dogstile said:
The point of the mechanic is to give you choice making. Call it bad reasoning if you want, but that's the official "reason".

But its ok, its a shooter with a two weapon system. Everyone shout halo clone like its a bad thing, I know how hard people hate on halo nowadays for some insane reason.
As fun as it is to shout "Halo Clone", I think people are doing it with this much venom because they wanted a more classic Duke game. I liked Halo and still play Reach but when people were promised a Duke game, they wanted a classic 1st-person experience.

I think of it like this: Duke was that sip of beer you had as a kid. Halo came out and you drank that Mountain Dew up for years. Now it's your 21st birthday (going by the legal drinking age in the US) and your Uncle 3D Realms gives you a plastic red cup. It looks like a beer and 3D Realms makes it really seem like a beer...until you take a sip and get a mouth full of mountain dew.

A bad analogy since I love me some Dew and hate beer...

Faenus

Apr 16, 2009
With only about a week between demo and full game release? I honestly don't see it happening. If Gearbox cares they might listen to fan feedback and tweak a few things, but how could the demo be that different from the finished product?[/quote]

Not exactly. The demo for dead rising two, which was case zero, was total crap compared to the actual game.

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
Pro Tip: Get Serious Sam 3
It's EXACTLY WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.
Go look at the trailer.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I thought I was playing Halo with pigs.

I mean, I liked the demo, I wanted to play more, but seriously, the auto regen health and 2 weapon limit needs to go.

This isn't the Duke I remembered.
Crash486 said:
Why is it every fps developer these days feels the need to incorporate self-regenerating health and the 2 weapon arsenal. Why won't these mechanics die? What the hell was wrong with health packs? Why do they feel to the need to force me to carry only 2 weapons at a time? What's the point of this mechanic, and don't tell me realism.

I assumed Duke Nukem Forever would pay homage to the forgotten, arcadey, over-the-top first person shooters of the past. I was looking forward to climbing up a ladder backwards, holding an rpg, kicking with both legs at the same time. I was looking forward to experimenting with cool weapons on my own terms. But no, it's just another generic, brown, halo clone with a shrink ray. Thanks gearbox.
Ugh.

Halo didn't even have regen health:

YOUR SHIELDS REGENARTED, BUT YOU STILL HAD A SET HEALTH LIMIT THAT DID NOT REGENERATE.

And Halo is the furtherest FPS from "brown".

You fight in Purple alien ships, green meadows and canyans, cities, deserts, jungles, etc.

And as I stated here:

Jabberwock xeno said:
BlastedTheWorm said:
Blame 3D Realms, not Gearbox. Gearbox have had Duke for a few months, 3D Realms have been working on it for 14 years.
This.

Borderlands let you carry over 42 guns at once, this is NOT gearboxs fault.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Crash486 said:
Why is it every fps developer these days feels the need to incorporate self-regenerating health and the 2 weapon arsenal. Why won't these mechanics die? What the hell was wrong with health packs? Why do they feel to the need to force me to carry only 2 weapons at a time? What's the point of this mechanic, and don't tell me realism.

I assumed Duke Nukem Forever would pay homage to the forgotten, arcadey, over-the-top first person shooters of the past. I was looking forward to climbing up a ladder backwards, holding an rpg, kicking with both legs at the same time. I was looking forward to experimenting with cool weapons on my own terms. But no, it's just another generic, brown, halo clone with a shrink ray. Thanks gearbox.
It's not Gearbox to blame.
These where decisions made by 3D REALMS,and Gearbox just released the game 3D REALMS had made in 80%
Gearbox just aligned the levels in an order and fixed bugs. Nothing else was their decision.
Gearbox's decision was to release the game 3D REALMS was making,as 3D REALMS wanted.
It's 3D REALMS to blame and specificaly George Brussard.
Stop blaming Gearbox.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the 'health' system referred to as an ego system? And the whole reason that Duke dies after 2-3 hits is that he becomes a mewling snivelling uncool wreck after he gets hurt by enemies? Because I can see why they can justify two or three hits in that logic, even if it isn't implemented well gameplaywise.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
CCountZero said:
Crash486 said:
Why [does all games] incorporate self-regenerating health?...
...What the hell was wrong with health packs?
Well. The simple answer is that it's easier for the developers.
With the health pack system, they had to hide the stuff in nooks and crannies, or secret rooms and whatnot. That all takes extra time.
Um they have been working on it for 12 YEARS so I dont think that the not having enought time argument for no medkits is valid.

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
At a guess, Gearbox got scared that such an anticipated game would dissapoint so they went for mechanics that they know are 'popular'.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
BlastedTheWorm said:
unless they chanaged everthing about the game in those few months.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
CCountZero said:
Crash486 said:
Why [does all games] incorporate self-regenerating health?...
...What the hell was wrong with health packs?
Well. The simple answer is that it's easier for the developers.
With the health pack system, they had to hide the stuff in nooks and crannies, or secret rooms and whatnot. That all takes extra time.
Um they have been working on it for 12 YEARS so I dont think that the not having enought time argument for no medkits is valid.
The game being released next week is not the same game 3D Realms started work on 12 years ago. They changed the engine multiple times, and I would wager that the game was heavily redesigned multiple times. Even if it had medikits originally, they were probably lost at some point in the development updates.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
As I said on the other thread. We've still got Serious Sam to look forward to. Hopefully they'll learn from this failure (although I doubt it).

I mean, it doesn't look that bad so far:

So there's still hope for the old-style shooter to make a comeback.

So, I guess I'm saying, don't despair, there's still some form of silver lining.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Crash486 said:

Blame 3D Realms, not Gearbox. They put the mechanics in, and you should blame them if you've got a problem with it. I, however, do not have a problem with it. The game was still fun as Hell when I played it, and that's all I wanted from DNF. Because yes, it's using mechanics from CoD and Halo, but at least Duke's game makes them fun.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
dogstile said:
The point of the mechanic is to give you choice making. Call it bad reasoning if you want, but that's the official "reason".

But its ok, its a shooter with a two weapon system. Everyone shout halo clone like its a bad thing, I know how hard people hate on halo nowadays for some insane reason.
It's not cursing out halo. Its cursing out the fact that it is indeed a clone of halo. No one likes clones. Watch a movie with a clone...they F shit up...even in video games. LOOK AT TRON...where was I going with this..RIGHT yeah...2 weapons at a time, dumb idea, hate it, this is Duke Nukem...He holds 1 weapon in each hand AT LEAST!!