What type of gamer annoys you most?

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
The cocky gents that refuse to win OR lose gracefully. For god's sake, you're not that awesome or cool. Yes your kill scored a point. So did mine. Maybe one of them won the match. That's the freaking game. Let's move on.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Squeakers, corporate apologists....

OH! And MMO hyper optimists (the games still in closed beta give it some more time, game is in open beta give it some more time, game has been out for a month give it some more time etc etc.)

Guys... stop lying to yourselfe... if the game is boring and unbalanced in beta.. chances are its not gonna change till or after launch. I have yet to see one game do a 180 in beta and turn from rubbish to a gem.

Thought i have seen alot of games that where rubbish in beta... and where still rubbish after launch (warhammer online, age of conan, vanguard saga of heroes)

And finaly: elitists... nothing is more sad to see then someone who is being arrogant because hes good at playing video games.... you can feel acomplished or even a bit proud.. but looking down on other people and belittle them because they are not as good as you at playing video games? Sheesh.. well if you have nothing else to brag about in your live *shrugs*

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
I hate it when players do things to exploit the game or at least use tactics that are pretty cheesy, quickscope being one of them. It's a sniper rifle! You're supposed to snipe with it. Who the hell runs up close and shoots you with a l33t quicksc0pe, I mean really. Go grab yourself a shotgun. To some extend I think it's fair but it just pisses me off when gamers do things that are obviously giving them an unintended edge over the other and then spamm chat/voice chat/emotes about how l33t they p0wned you. Yeah those ppl are pretty annoying.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Kirex said:
hazabaza1 said:
Elitists.
Be it PC, console, or based on any particular game or series, they're all massive fucks.
This sums it up pretty well, but I'd like to add the kind of elitists that look down on people for (dis-)liking certain games. Why should someone care what games other people like or dislike? Makes no sense to me.
Let's have all of the above.

Also, gamers that think games and gaming in general is the be-all and end-all of existence. I know several people who game and don't do anything else. They wake up, switch on the computer/console/etc and stay there, no speaking to anyone, barely eating or drinking, hunched over in the dark, then they go to bed.

They then proceed to complain at great length about doing anything other than the above...

Used to live with one. Never again.

Drawando

Feb 7, 2011
Gamers who simply don't try anything, because of whatever the reason maybe.
I was one of them and i absolutly hated racing games and thanks to that I almost missed one of my favourite game series Burnout.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Paulo Belato said:
I have a friend that refuses to play a lot of games based on the graphics not being "shiny" enough for him (if it isn't 3D graphics, he will most likely ignore the game). These types of people annoy me a little because they refuse to play games that have great mechanics because of graphics.
I'm in the same position as you, it wouldn't bug me at all but it has had an effect on the games that have been released recently, not to mention the games that will be released in the future.

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
I agree with those who are annoyed by players who don't play for fun. I dislike people raging about their noob team when they're playing on a random server in Team Fortress 2. What did they expect? It's better to give your team constructive feedback. That's what I do.

NewQuest

Jul 12, 2012
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Ones that don't think the actual gameplay is important compared to story and things. Read a book or watch a movie if you want story. Games need passable gameplay with very few exceptions.
The thing is that Story has become more important than gameplay due to the sheer evolution of games as a whole. It basically needs them at this point... I love this fact above all else as well! Video games with great stories are far, and I do mean, far greater than ones without.

Also, people who say what you say about story in video games should not even bother playing video games anymore. Considering video games are now a major storytelling medium. This medium isn't about the high scores anymore mr retro.
You're serious. That makes me sad. Gaming is a gameplay medium, it's in the name. Can it tell stories? Yes. Can it do it anywhere near as well as a real story telling medium? No. A videogame is about as useful for telling a story as a choose your own adventure book is for playing a game. Sure, it'll get the job done, but is it really the best choice for the job? On the other hand, videogames are great for creating new types of games. Game mechanics are what sets the medium apart, not storytelling capabilities. I'll keep playing my games, you can go read a book or watch a movie, mr. story.
I don't agree that story has surpassed gameplay in terms of importance, but I also don't think gaming CAN'T have a good story. Video games are the most involved medium of art. No other medium allows the factor of immersion, and that can seriously aid a story. There are many games I've played that have better stories than books, and that have involved me more than a book would have. Just sayin'.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I've heard a lot of people who seem to think that games can't (or at least haven't yet) told a story on par with the best of films. This is pretty typical behavior for non-gamers, but I've heard really serious gamers, who've played hundreds of games, make this statement.

These are generally the same people who say things like "The story is up to Hollywood standards"

"So it's a trite, emotionally forced romantic comedy starring a couple bland of twenty somethings?"

"What? No, not all films are like that!"

"Oh, so it's a trite HORROR movie starring a bunch of bland twenty somethings"

"You're judging the whole medium based on the lowest common denominator, just looking for a reason to be unimpressed"

"You don't say"

I'm staring to wonder how many fucking kittens video games have to save from burning buildings before they get their deserved recognition.

I've played several games not only on par with great films, I've played games I think are BETTER than great films.

Mr.Governor

Nov 10, 2009
People who say "You're not a real gamer if you don't play this",sorry but any 'real gamer' knows that there's no such thing as games made for 'real gamers',and that people can play whatever the fuck they want.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
two types for me, the first one ties into the second
people who believe their way of gaming is best and refuse to acknowledge any other form and use every chance they can to berate other forms of video games i'm fine with you prefering just one type of gaming but you don't have to be a dick about it

the second is pc gaming elitists who use every chance to attack consoles and blame them for all gaming problems
yeah i know most pc gamers aren't like that, it's just the few who are

kunymonster

Mar 6, 2012
The most annoying or should I say unfortunate kind if gamer are the ones who are afraid to admit it in public, this may just be because I'm still in high school but a lot of people view video games as something to be ashamed of, something that will damage thier reputation, I've always felt bad for those people who were afraid to be themselves.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Sexist gamers. They're never as good as they think they are and they spend the entire time whinging about how much girls suck, and then go to all the guys "Amiright?" and it just decends into an internet fight and, ugh, I hate those guys.

Actually come to think of it, a good 40% of people with mics are asscracks.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Fredvdp said:
I agree with those who are annoyed by players who don't play for fun. I dislike people raging about their noob team when they're playing on a random server in Team Fortress 2. What did they expect? It's better to give your team constructive feedback. That's what I do.
I once played with a guy like that. I shouted at him through the mic on the grounds that, while the team did suck, I was scoring A lot and he did fuck all.

Twas very schway.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Jay444111 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Ones that don't think the actual gameplay is important compared to story and things. Read a book or watch a movie if you want story. Games need passable gameplay with very few exceptions.
The thing is that Story has become more important than gameplay due to the sheer evolution of games as a whole. It basically needs them at this point... I love this fact above all else as well! Video games with great stories are far, and I do mean, far greater than ones without.

Also, people who say what you say about story in video games should not even bother playing video games anymore. Considering video games are now a major storytelling medium. This medium isn't about the high scores anymore mr retro.
You're serious. That makes me sad. Gaming is a gameplay medium, it's in the name. Can it tell stories? Yes. Can it do it anywhere near as well as a real story telling medium? No. A videogame is about as useful for telling a story as a choose your own adventure book is for playing a game. Sure, it'll get the job done, but is it really the best choice for the job? On the other hand, videogames are great for creating new types of games. Game mechanics are what sets the medium apart, not storytelling capabilities. I'll keep playing my games, you can go read a book or watch a movie, mr. story.
People who say that video games aren't a storytelling medium have either A, never played a video game before or B, doesn't even know what the word story is.

A video game is better with a story than without. It can tell stories better than movies could ever hope to get. MGS is still a better story than anything made by the movie industry in the action genre. Fragile Dreams Farewell ruins of the moon is the saddest piece of fiction of all time and it is a video game.

People who crap on video game stories shouldn't even OWN a damn video game. Why own a video game if you will never respect it because it isn't as old as other mediums even though it does better than them in a early age already? Oh yeah, bias.

There are so many ways to tell a story and to outright deny all of the ones video games do and ones it does well is bullcrap ignorance.

Also, video games are not games. They are interactive fiction when they have a story and when they don't they are video games. (we really should ban the word game or gamer on this site just so we can get the right definition down.)

Also, please be quiet as well. People who keep the "If I want a story I can go read a book/watch a movie" You forfeit all rights to judge a story or to even own a video game at this point in time. It just shows how much ignorance you have over video games and their potential and their talents. Video games are better than movies these days. That is a fact. When a Downloadable game is better than 95% of movies you know movies are messed up.

Books... are sadly going to have a lot to deal with when any two bit author can get his way into the book industry thanks to kindle. So yeah... don't expect a lot of good to be in books for a while.

With video games however, in order to actually sell a game these days, you need talent and you need to make a great game. Otherwise you will fail. That alone makes it better than most other industries just due to the sane fact that this industry is incredibly competitive.

Also, those retro games nowadays? Guess which ones are remembered and often horribly expensive? The storytelling ones. Yep. Video games with story are more important than ones without story and even economics even agree with me on this one. You are just stuck in the past... where you belong if you keep such horribly cave man like views.

No. You're stuck in la-la land. What separates games from movies? It's the gameplay. I'll take TF2 or LoL over artsy-fartsy crap like Braid and The Path any day. Note that the only retro-fallback on that list was one that focused too heavily on story. And yes, almost all games have stories. Even TF2 and LoL have stories. But you're nuts if you think the story is the main selling point. The story is in there to give context to the gameplay, which is what actually draws people in.

Also, I can't believe you think MGS has a better story than any action movie done by Hollywood. Hell, I went to see one just a few hours ago that had a better story (The Dark Knight Rises, if you're interested. And it's not exactly in the running for best story in action movie history.) It's got a good story for a game, but that's just it: for a game.

As for games being "interactive fiction" no, that's one genre of games. It was made famous by Infocom, perhaps you've heard of them? All games have gameplay, and that's what sets them apart. Show me a game without it, and I'll show you a terrible movie. Because that's most likely what it is, a movie with crappy direction.

Edit:

Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:

Of course a good story is good for a game to have. But I would choose Minecraft over a game that has horrible gameplay but a good story anyday.
Deadly Premonition not only disagrees with that notion. But also kills it in its sleep. A game with bad gameplay and amazing story can in fact become a classic and often quite loves. However, a game with great gameplay and no story, not only rare these days, but most people really don't care about gameplay much... if at all. I know that sounds like heresy. But consider the fact that people are willing to pay 60 bucks a year for another madden or 60 a year when it comes to first person shooters. People just down care about newer gameplay mechanics. They mainly care about story more so. If the story is crap than the game is crap. Just look at Mass Effect 3 controversy if you want to know why story is so damn important in video games.
Okay, now you're just yanking my chain. That translates out to "nobody cares about gameplay, only story. That's why everyone buys the yearly updates of Madden and CoD."

You do realize that Madden has no story, and CoD is known for having a terrible campaign, right? People buy the yearly release of both because of subtle changes in the gameplay.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
a bit late to the party buuuuuut

I play only AAA games

can;t stand retro

can't stand "indie"

I like cutscenes and set peices

hahahaha.....I bet I annoy plenty of people

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:

Of course a good story is good for a game to have. But I would choose Minecraft over a game that has horrible gameplay but a good story anyday.
Deadly Premonition not only disagrees with that notion. But also kills it in its sleep. A game with bad gameplay and amazing story can in fact become a classic and often quite loves. However, a game with great gameplay and no story, not only rare these days, but most people really don't care about gameplay much... if at all. I know that sounds like heresy. But consider the fact that people are willing to pay 60 bucks a year for another madden or 60 a year when it comes to first person shooters. People just down care about newer gameplay mechanics. They mainly care about story more so. If the story is crap than the game is crap. Just look at Mass Effect 3 controversy if you want to know why story is so damn important in video games.
COD sells perfectly fine, Minecraft sold over 7 million copies. I doubt you will find many people who bought them for the story. People still care about gameplay. What plausible reason is there to buy a game with bad gameplay when you could get book or movie for the story without horrible gameplay getting in the way?