What type of gamer annoys you most?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
elitists: This includes people who have the Mac v. PC, Xbox v. PS3 fanboy battles and don't even think that the opposing thing has a use. People who are just elitist is general annoy me. Also if you call someone a noob or any variation on that you deserve all the t bagging you get, Lastly don't use the word rape in this sentence. "I raped some noobs in LOL" or anyone like it.

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
TheKasp said:
People using the word "elitist". No, I am not an elitist when I point out that your 8 year old hardware is fucking old and can be outperformed by my work lap top. I am not an elitist if I point out that I prefer a choice in what controlling device I use. And I am not an elitist when I point out that Mouse and Keyboard is the superiour controlling device for certain genres. I would be an elitist if I somehow would imply that you are less of a person or should enjoy games less due of all that but I never did that now, did I?
I agree, that does annoy me. People like to use the term elitist much too often. I was on a forum for a multiplatform game once and there was a topic about what changes players would want to see after a patch. The problem I mentioned (poor GUI scaling on high-res resolutions) happened to be only present in the PC version (since console versions have a fixed resolution), and I got called a PC elitist for that, I guess for not mentioning a fix that applies to console versions as well. I then pointed out that it is silly to call me a PC elitist for pointing out a flaw in the PC version.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I have a list:

Gamers who only play to win and can't have fun any other way
Gamers who focus on the visuals instead of the gameplay or story
Gamers who only play one game type or genre

There's more, but those are the big three. Pretty much, I only like playing with open minded gamers

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
The shit-talking mouth breathers of Xbox LIVE mostly. You know the ones, the self-important twelve year old's that manage to spawn camp you for an entire match taunting you the whole time as you literally have no time to do anything before getting 1 shot again.

Then again, sometimes I go into "General" mode myself but usually only when I'm the ONLY one on the team doing anything for the objective. I try not to, but I feel sometimes I have a better grasp on the situation than the other player does. I will never yell though, unless I'm truly pissed at some cheap bastard camping in a single spot the entire match and only at them.

Also, I get enraged easily when losing badly. You know the situation, that no matter what you do the opposite team is just chewing you apart with apparently little effort.

crusador90

Nov 16, 2011
I consider myself relatively slow to anger and tend to not bother too much with the less pleasant kinds of gamers I deal with both online and offline. However, there are gamers that do annoy me to no end. Lots of them, I'm going go through an overview of the types I can recall off the top of my head:

I hate "HARDCORE" gamers, well elitists in general. Whether they're console fanboys, PC "Master Race", or HARDCORE, I hate them. Why? Because it is fine to have a preference of games you like, whether its a type of genre, platform, or difficulty, but it becomes just maddening to see someone complain about games that are *GASP* made to appeal to another person other than the preferences they have!! "OH MY GOSH! THIS IS HERESY!!" Hey platform fanboys, not everyone owns every platform to play games on (PS3/360/PC, I don't care that much) and playing on something that you don't doesn't make a person "inferior" in intelligence or taste. It just makes you come off as an elitist prick.
Hardcore gamers are THE WORST in this category, screaming bloody murder at the thought of games being made for people who aren't that passionate/experienced/knowledgeable about gaming. This generation revolutionized demographics that way, making games that people, like say, my aunt, my teacher, or other people who haven't touched a game, or that many at all in their life and were initially intimidated by complex user interfaces (Read: controllers appear to have too many buttons for their tastes) or very steep learning curves. What these people tell me, is that these people don't deserve to enjoy our hobby and have fun at all because they're not "REAL" gamers with the same preferences and passion for us. And that companies who make games for them, like PopCap, Nintendo, or Natsume, should go die because they're "ruining" the game industry by expanding the market. . Seriously, I hate these people more than I do the platform fanboys. They can go to hell.

I know someone on this thread linked TVTropes, but I can't think of a better term for these people, the "Stop-Having-Fun-Guys". Whether it's a fighting game, FPS, or MOBA game, competitive games tend to have intense, complex meta-games with tons of different strategies and techniques for success. But then there's this asshole. Regardless of his actual skill at the game, you're going to dislike him for the arrogant mentality the he (or sometimes she, but its not common) carries. He's a poor sport, constantly insults his teammates, and is constantly criticizing his teammates or sometimes opponents for not using the "right (as far as his head is concerned" strategy/character/item build/whatever to win. As far as I know, and due to the nature of the genre, these guys are even worse and FAR more common in MOBA games like League of Legends. They often kill morale and structure in a team because instead of fixing/adapting on the fly when things go wrong, they won't stop bitching and arguing at their teammates instead of, oh I don't know, actually help them?

"Gurl Gamerz" as we call them are obnoxious, but they seem more like an obnoxious stereotype if anything because I've never seen a girl who fits that category (i.e. advertises her gender like its a status symbol and screams misogyny at guys who don't give her the attention she wants). In fact, the female gamers that I do know not only DO NOT act like that, but actively hate girls who do do that.

"12-14 year old racist/homophobic children with microphones". This stereotype, I don't get. Why? I don't seem them too often. When I do, I either mute them, or come up with a witty retort, since, they're children with the vocab of dirty-mouthed 3-year old parrots, knowing little of the words they're saying to people, and they have the life experiences of well... children. It's easy for me to make fun of them to deal with them when they do come up... and it is not often.
On the OTHER HAND, I more often than not (LoL, WoW, Xbox Live, PSN, wherever), deal with 20 to even 30 somethings who behave in the same manner. In fact, foul-mouthed, bigoted man-children are far far more common and far worse to deal with, but also more pitiable, but still... I can deal with a little delinquent preteen, but a 20 something who acts like that, spouting racist remarks, the tired "your mom" remarks, and generally acting like homophobic pricks will always be more obnoxious by virtue of being older, presumably knowing better, but not.

I hate "nostalgics" who believe everything was better in their "hey-day" when they haven't actually gone back to pick apart everything from that era and only have their rose-tinted nostalgia lens to look through. Pokemon fandom suffers enormously from these kinds of people (although its been getter better nowadays). Let's see... nearly all of these people had played Pokemon at some point of their lives, the first two generations, and loved them, but then dropped out of the franchise when the third generation hit and the Pokemania fad had died down and the anime (which was watched by many) had begun to be seen as stale. Now these people come back, see changes (including new mons), hate the changes because its not "exactly" the same as they remembered it, and often throw the "out of ideas" phrase without actually proving why. If they actually looked into the newer games, and compared with the older ones, they'd find that: 1. These new Pokemon, Gym Leaders, mechanics, moves are not only here to stay, but some of them are welcome changes and additions to the franchise that keep it fresh while still feeling familiar and 2. The old games haven't aged that well, AT ALL. The Game Balance in the original Red/Blue is crap (Psychic type ftw), there are numerous glitches existing in the games, mechanics that we don't miss in the newer ones (Does anyone like HMs?, or mind one use TMs?), and crappy Pokemon that have existed since the beginning (Heh, did you actually use Farfetched at all? Did you want to use him back then?).
Yeah, you can't argue with these people, since they're too damn stubborn to take the damn nostalgia goggles off and see if their nostalgic treasures truly stood the test of time.

One thing many of the worse kinds of gamers have in common is the inflated sense of self entitlement they all have. The "It's all about me and what I want" mentality leads to the platform fanboyism and "Hardcore" gaming mentality that leads them all to think that "game developers should make the games that I want and nothing else. Anything that isn't that is just a bad game".

Yeah. I hate these people, but its a shame that a lot of sites and publications cater to these kind of people *COUGH* Game Informer *COUGH*.

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
Vrex360 said:
The unapologetic misogynist hordes that have been cropping up as of late seemingly outraged by the notion of change.
I can only hope that the day when disgusting troglodytes like them are finally ostracized from the community is coming soon.
i completely agree with you. it's the thing that sucks the fun out of gaming for me. makes me wish i didn't like socializing and multiplayer so much.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Srs bsns gamers annoy me the most. It can be especially disheartening to just begin playing a new game only to have a team full of whiners telling you how much you suck and how you should quit right now. If the game isn't ranked and you criticism is not constructive, stfu and play the goddamn game.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
People who whine about the existence of "Cod-clones" and foresees some kind of degeneration of gaming just because things like regenerating health and iron sights happen to be popular.

Kirex

Jun 24, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Elitists.
Be it PC, console, or based on any particular game or series, they're all massive fucks.
This sums it up pretty well, but I'd like to add the kind of elitists that look down on people for (dis-)liking certain games. Why should someone care what games other people like or dislike? Makes no sense to me.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Ones that don't think the actual gameplay is important compared to story and things. Read a book or watch a movie if you want story. Games need passable gameplay with very few exceptions.
The thing is that Story has become more important than gameplay due to the sheer evolution of games as a whole. It basically needs them at this point... I love this fact above all else as well! Video games with great stories are far, and I do mean, far greater than ones without.

Also, people who say what you say about story in video games should not even bother playing video games anymore. Considering video games are now a major storytelling medium. This medium isn't about the high scores anymore mr retro.
Of course a good story is good for a game to have. But I would choose Minecraft over a game that has horrible gameplay but a good story anyday.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
People who try to hardcore it, be the best, finish the game as fast as possible. Thinks they are the only one knowledgeable about the game. One of my friends I often play coop games with is like this... *sigh*

Also people who take pride in that they don't play CoD, as if it makes them superior.

TechnoRaven

Mar 10, 2012
Would have to be "Gurl Gamers". You know the type, the one that go "OMG gaise, im a girl gamer <3". A gamer describers a male or female that enjoys the hobby of various games and regulatory plays them. "Girl gamer" Is a incorrect term.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Jay444111 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Ones that don't think the actual gameplay is important compared to story and things. Read a book or watch a movie if you want story. Games need passable gameplay with very few exceptions.
The thing is that Story has become more important than gameplay due to the sheer evolution of games as a whole. It basically needs them at this point... I love this fact above all else as well! Video games with great stories are far, and I do mean, far greater than ones without.

Also, people who say what you say about story in video games should not even bother playing video games anymore. Considering video games are now a major storytelling medium. This medium isn't about the high scores anymore mr retro.
You're serious. That makes me sad. Gaming is a gameplay medium, it's in the name. Can it tell stories? Yes. Can it do it anywhere near as well as a real story telling medium? No. A videogame is about as useful for telling a story as a choose your own adventure book is for playing a game. Sure, it'll get the job done, but is it really the best choice for the job? On the other hand, videogames are great for creating new types of games. Game mechanics are what sets the medium apart, not storytelling capabilities. I'll keep playing my games, you can go read a book or watch a movie, mr. story.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
In no particular order;

Graphics Whores: Graphics aren't worth much. If graphics are the primary reason why you even bother looking at a game, I WILL sucker punch you and call you a fucktard.
Fratboys: FIFA, Madden, COD and Battlefield, are not the be all end all, and are NOT the greatest games ever to grace the gaming medium.
Fuckers who tell me that a game is objectively good because people buy it: "If thousands of people people buy it, it MUST be good." No. Not a reason. Not even true...People are stupid.
Sceptics, Cynical, Nihilistic, Desensitized and Hedonistic gamers: If you hate all games, hate all forms of religion, hate all people, see no reason to life, see no value in life, claim you're the greatest potential soldier/psychopath to ever walk the earth or will place your games above all else in life, you've now been promoted to '"Captain" ****'.
People who have at me for not wanting any real challenge in a game: I get to face challenges every single day, in Uni, in my own psyche, in my martial arts, with my girlfriend..goes on and on...If I'm ever playing a game, I DO NOT want to be frustrated or heavily challenged. I wouldn't mind a challenge if I'm playing with mates - because then we all have to work together and it's fun...but on my own, if I can't get past some challenge by the 3rd time, I turn off the game and lose absolute all interest in the game.
So I heavily mod games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, I play on casual in Saints Row the Third and I play Deus Ex on 'Storymode' - fuck off and leave me alone.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
The Japanese game fans who act like the only reason I don't like their "games" (term used loosely) is because I either don't understand them, or because they are an acquired taste. No, I just don't like them, I'd rather play MW3 on Xbox without being allowed to mute anyone than play another game about weird teenage girl-boys wielding swords larger than most Japanese cars.