What Was What in Avengers

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
therandombear said:
CatmanStu said:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.
They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

Just a thought. :p

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. :mad:
Nice theory, except they've already introduced one of the Gems in this movie.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
romxxii said:
therandombear said:
CatmanStu said:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.
They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

Just a thought. :p

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. :mad:
Nice theory, except they've already introduced one of the Gems in this movie.
Sshh, don't ruin it, jk. ;)
Forgot it at the time of posting. xD

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
ecoho said:
artanis_neravar said:
MovieBob said:
What Was What in Avengers

MovieBob gives you the nitty gritty on the upcoming release The Avengers.

Read Full Article
I really really hope this means I get an Adam Warlock movie

Ant Man, The Vision, Jack of Hearts, Ms. Marvel, and the Wasp movies would be good too
to be fair an Ant Man movie would have wasp in it.
True, and The Vision can't really show up until the Avengers 2, or at least after Ant Man's movie

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

I hated the way they just used him as a clumsy ape-like buffoon who's main purpose was to provide comic relief. I hated the way that after 2 movies and 8 years of David Banners internal and losing struggle to keep containment of the hulk, which I believe this is in part due to the consistant cast change, that completely out of left field, just shows up, gives a cheesy one-liner, and magicly can control his one mortal flaw that all Avengers have that makes them the amazing characters they are.

I don't know, it could have just been the damn annoying audience at the theatre that would not shut up about a damn thing and would laugh hystericly at everything that didn't have explosions, but that movie is damn-near perfect movie for me except for the happy ending (Iron Man should have died) and the way they depict the Hulk. Although, staying after the credits and seeing Thanos I understand why they needed a happy ending, but I really do hope that in the sequel they take advantage of a more dramatic and tragic story.

Bah, stop listening to me complain and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

captcha: high five

You're damn right high five.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Jaeke said:
I hated the way they just used him as a clumsy ape-like buffoon who's main purpose was to provide comic relief. I hated the way that after 2 movies and 8 years of David Banners internal and losing struggle to keep containment of the hulk, which I believe this is in part due to the consistant cast change, that completely out of left field, just shows up, gives a cheesy one-liner, and magicly can control his one mortal flaw that all Avengers have that makes them the amazing characters they are.

I don't know, it could have just been the damn annoying audience at the theatre that would not shut up about a damn thing and would laugh hystericly at everything that didn't have explosions, but that movie is damn-near perfect movie for me except for the happy ending (Iron Man should have died) and the way they depict the Hulk. Although, staying after the credits and seeing Thanos I understand why they needed a happy ending, but I really do hope that in the sequel they take advantage of a more dramatic and tragic story.
I have two Questions.
David Banner? You mean Bruce Banner?
Why should Iron Man have died?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Jaeke said:
I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

Bah, stop listening to me complain and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

captcha: high five

You're damn right high five.

Hmmm well as far as your spoilered bit goes:

The Hulk periodically gets control of himself, and you see Banner running the show with Hulk's strength, though when he's rational he's generally reasonable. For the most part when The Hulk is "sane" he's an Avengers member, when he's a berserker The Avengers usually get sent to try and contain or control him.

Super Heroes also rarely die, and it wouldn't fit the genere. Those that do die, typically come back. No point in complaining about the trope.

Also connected to the first point, if they ARE doing the Infinity Gauntlet arc, it is The Hulk in possession of Banner's brains who participates in that. Indeed one big aspect of the lead in to that battle was Wolverine and The Hulk being asked to not hold back and kill Thanos if they had a chance, as they are two of the only heroes who will kill without hestitation when they need arises.

Some tie ins to the whole thing also mentioned that they did The Hulk that way because generally speaking if Hulk was his raging self, he would have WTFpwned Thanos and smashed the gauntlet and walked off. The Hulk operating at full capacity is that ridiculous, multiple cosmic powered characters have trouble slowing him down, and when Thanos fought the heroes (the round before the army of cosmic entities) he had not mastered the powers, heck he didn't really have them under control until Eternity decided to step in... which like usual in a case where he shows up, he shows up five minutes after he could have dealt with a situation.

As a result, I'd expect more "Smart Hulk" (or controlled Hulk) in storylines where he's with other heroes. Hulk has to be written so he's not at full power in most cases, similar to how in DC in most stories they need to find some reason why Superman isn't at full power yet again. The Hulk only gets to be at full power when he's fighting other heroes usually (though there are exceptions) to prevent too many heavy hitters like Thanos having their careers end with his giant footprint imbedded in their smooshed face.

... and yes, I am quite aware of how powerful Eternals are. The Hulk has gone up against them before (Sersei, etc...) if I recall, as he has also run into guys like Firelord or The Silver Surfer, or even guys like Wonder Man (who has gotten slapped around like a little girl). Weak hulk they are more powerful than, mad hulk they are little more than a distraction.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
ritchards said:
While I am a big fan of the Infinity Gauntlet arc, dealing with Adam Warlock is going to completely change it (unless they want to have a whole 'nuther movie dealing with him, the simpliest path will be to get rid of him).
Nah, they can't do that as he's integral to understanding what Thanos is all about and why he loses. You do the story without Adam and you either wind up with everyone dying, or a pretty straightforward beatdown of Thanos... neither of which really does the whole idea justice.

While a villain that defeats themself is old hat for Marvel, this was a good story of it's kind, and to remain that way it has to be told in a very specific way.

I suppose they could always end it with The Silver Surfer actually succeeding with his last ditch grab (Adam having held him back, but I suppose he could just bide his time on his own), but given the horrors of the Fantastic Four movies, they would have to reboot that whole franchise for that one to work.

The same thing applies to say Doctor Doom, he was also there. They could always have him get the Infinity Gauntlet and then lose based on his own limitations and perhaps some psychological tampewring... but again it requires a Fantastic Four reboot. What they did to Doom... perhaps the greatest comic book villain of all time... was almost insulting.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am hearing a lot of people point to "The Other" as Annihilus and that the aliens in the this movie only use the name "Chitauri" even though they are more akin to a cross between Skrulls and Negative Zone insect-people. I think its subtly implied that the portal the Cosmic Cube opened was actually a gateway into the Negative Zone which is often depicted as a void full of floating rocks and such.

Danimaltl

Jun 7, 2011
Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Phuctifyno said:
Anyone with a SNES kicking around should check out War Of The Gems. It's a pretty decent beat-em-up that touches on this material. You can play as Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, or Spider-man, and you can use each gem's benefits as you find them.

If Marvel's really considering delving into the weirder cosmic stuff for movies.... a really well-done, psychadelic, metaphysical Silver Surfer is what we need. Earth not included.
Yeah I have that old SNES game. Its basically a side-scroller version of Capcom's other game based off of the Infinity Gauntlet, "Marvel Superheroes", their first non-Xmen Marvel fighting game.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
I thought there was a SECOND post-credits teaser for next time. Beyond the big-bad guy.
There is indeed a second post-credits scene. But it's not a teaser or any sort of plot-advancer, it's just a for-laughs stinger, apparently shot on video, not "film."

Also,
it features ScarJo eating a sandwich, thereby proving she consumes more food than some other model-type actresses, so that's something important I guess...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Danimaltl said:
Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?
No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Danimaltl said:
No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).
People are speculating that The Other is Annihilus but you can't be sure. It could also just be a Chitauri Commander of some kind.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Time for a good Deadpool movie to explain the Love triangle between Thanos, Death, and Deadpool!