What Was What in Avengers

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Azex said:
Am i the only one who thought that the blue gem in Loki's staff was the blue mind gem? It explains them all freaking out in that one scene
Not bad idea. However the Cap says that it "looks like A Hydra Weapon" (I.e powered by the Cube). And the physicist that Loki mind controls (Selvig) says something along the lines of "the cube can't fight itself" when Black Widow uses the staff to shut down the portal. Now that does mean it could actually be a cube powered mind gem, which is all kinds of awesome. And I believe the staff is still on earth, so who knows Iron Man 3 may have Tony Stark playing around with it.

Also the after credits scene, with Thanos' reveal, according to imdb has the Red Skull present (I'm assuming the Red Skull is the one who threatens Loki and acts as if he is Thanos' herald). The Red Skull knows all about weaponising the cosmic cube so would be the perfect person to create Loki's staff. And I know they don't ever actually get the cube but they are able to remotely activate it, allowing Loki to enter SHIELD's headquarters, so I imagine they have some way of accessing its power from a long distance away.

Crazy_Dude said:
OhJohnNo said:
Danimaltl said:
Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?
No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).
People are speculating that The Other is Annihilus but you can't be sure. It could also just be a Chitauri Commander of some kind.
Imdb seem to think its Red Skull. Also the Cap says it "looks like a Hydra weapon" in regards to Loki's staff. And we never see the Red Skull die, just vanishes at the end of the Captain America film.

EDIT: imdb link, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/trivia?tab=cz

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
therandombear said:
CatmanStu said:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.
They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

Just a thought. :p

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. :mad:
I'm annoyed at my friends who made me leave the theatre before the credits finished rolling.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
messy said:
Azex said:
Am i the only one who thought that the blue gem in Loki's staff was the blue mind gem? It explains them all freaking out in that one scene
Not bad idea. However the Cap says that it "looks like A Hydra Weapon" (I.e powered by the Cube). And the physicist that Loki mind controls (Selvig) says something along the lines of "the cube can't fight itself" when Black Widow uses the staff to shut down the portal. Now that does mean it could actually be a cube powered mind gem, which is all kinds of awesome. And I believe the staff is still on earth, so who knows Iron Man 3 may have Tony Stark playing around with it.

Also the after credits scene, with Thanos' reveal, according to imdb has the Red Skull present (I'm assuming the Red Skull is the one who threatens Loki and acts as if he is Thanos' herald). The Red Skull knows all about weaponising the cosmic cube so would be the perfect person to create Loki's staff. And I know they don't ever actually get the cube but they are able to remotely activate it, allowing Loki to enter SHIELD's headquarters, so I imagine they have some way of accessing its power from a long distance away.

Crazy_Dude said:
OhJohnNo said:
Danimaltl said:
Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?
No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).
People are speculating that The Other is Annihilus but you can't be sure. It could also just be a Chitauri Commander of some kind.
Imdb seem to think its Red Skull. Also the Cap says it "looks like a Hydra weapon" in regards to Loki's staff. And we never see the Red Skull die, just vanishes at the end of the Captain America film.

This link claims that Thanos says that they underestimated Earth, but Thanos never talks, he just smiles. So I would guess that the person who wrote that thought that Thanos was the Red Skull and the other guy was Thanos. Not really sure though 'cause neither of them looked like the red skull.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
messy said:
Azex said:

Crazy_Dude said:
OhJohnNo said:
Danimaltl said:

This link claims that Thanos says that they underestimated Earth, but Thanos never talks, he just smiles. So I would guess that the person who wrote that thought that Thanos was the Red Skull and the other guy was Thanos. Not really sure though 'cause neither of them looked like the red skull.
Good point. I wasn't overly convinced to be honest. Because yeah the big guy is defiantly Thanos. I still think the Red Skull will be coming back in some shape or form, assuming they can get Agent Smith to play him again.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Jaeke said:
I hated the way they just used him as a clumsy ape-like buffoon who's main purpose was to provide comic relief. I hated the way that after 2 movies and 8 years of David Banners internal and losing struggle to keep containment of the hulk, which I believe this is in part due to the consistant cast change, that completely out of left field, just shows up, gives a cheesy one-liner, and magicly can control his one mortal flaw that all Avengers have that makes them the amazing characters they are.

I don't know, it could have just been the damn annoying audience at the theatre that would not shut up about a damn thing and would laugh hystericly at everything that didn't have explosions, but that movie is damn-near perfect movie for me except for the happy ending (Iron Man should have died) and the way they depict the Hulk. Although, staying after the credits and seeing Thanos I understand why they needed a happy ending, but I really do hope that in the sequel they take advantage of a more dramatic and tragic story.
I have two Questions.
David Banner? You mean Bruce Banner?
Why should Iron Man have died?
Sorry :p just got done watchin Hulk (2003) and got confused, his dad's name is David heh
Like I said, I enjoy a more serious side to heroic movies so I would have liked seeing a more dramatic fall of a character since there really wasn't another Avenger that came close to death other than Captain America, but that's irrelevant to the overall enjoyment this movie brings

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Therumancer said:
Jaeke said:
I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

I hated the way they just used him as a clumsy ape-like buffoon who's main purpose was to provide comic relief. I hated the way that after 2 movies and 8 years of David Banners internal and losing struggle to keep containment of the hulk, which I believe this is in part due to the consistant cast change, that completely out of left field, just shows up, gives a cheesy one-liner, and magicly can control his one mortal flaw that all Avengers have that makes them the amazing characters they are.

I don't know, it could have just been the damn annoying audience at the theatre that would not shut up about a damn thing and would laugh hystericly at everything that didn't have explosions, but that movie is damn-near perfect movie for me except for the happy ending (Iron Man should have died) and the way they depict the Hulk. Although, staying after the credits and seeing Thanos I understand why they needed a happy ending, but I really do hope that in the sequel they take advantage of a more dramatic and tragic story.

Bah, stop listening to me complain and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

captcha: high five

You're damn right high five.

Hmmm well as far as your spoilered bit goes:

The Hulk periodically gets control of himself, and you see Banner running the show with Hulk's strength, though when he's rational he's generally reasonable. For the most part when The Hulk is "sane" he's an Avengers member, when he's a berserker The Avengers usually get sent to try and contain or control him.

Super Heroes also rarely die, and it wouldn't fit the genere. Those that do die, typically come back. No point in complaining about the trope.

Also connected to the first point, if they ARE doing the Infinity Gauntlet arc, it is The Hulk in possession of Banner's brains who participates in that. Indeed one big aspect of the lead in to that battle was Wolverine and The Hulk being asked to not hold back and kill Thanos if they had a chance, as they are two of the only heroes who will kill without hestitation when they need arises.

Some tie ins to the whole thing also mentioned that they did The Hulk that way because generally speaking if Hulk was his raging self, he would have WTFpwned Thanos and smashed the gauntlet and walked off. The Hulk operating at full capacity is that ridiculous, multiple cosmic powered characters have trouble slowing him down, and when Thanos fought the heroes (the round before the army of cosmic entities) he had not mastered the powers, heck he didn't really have them under control until Eternity decided to step in... which like usual in a case where he shows up, he shows up five minutes after he could have dealt with a situation.

As a result, I'd expect more "Smart Hulk" (or controlled Hulk) in storylines where he's with other heroes. Hulk has to be written so he's not at full power in most cases, similar to how in DC in most stories they need to find some reason why Superman isn't at full power yet again. The Hulk only gets to be at full power when he's fighting other heroes usually (though there are exceptions) to prevent too many heavy hitters like Thanos having their careers end with his giant footprint imbedded in their smooshed face.

... and yes, I am quite aware of how powerful Eternals are. The Hulk has gone up against them before (Sersei, etc...) if I recall, as he has also run into guys like Firelord or The Silver Surfer, or even guys like Wonder Man (who has gotten slapped around like a little girl). Weak hulk they are more powerful than, mad hulk they are little more than a distraction.
Thanks for the info, I'm not a comic buff so my opinion has little-to-no support but if that arc plays out that will cater just to my taste so +1 awsome for that.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
CatmanStu said:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
I turned to my mate, a much bigger Marvel junkie than I (I'm a DC man), and asked if that was who I thought it was.

He said "Yeah, I think so. But why is Heimdal in outer space?"

/facepalm

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
llagrok said:
Therumancer said:
Jaeke said:
I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

The Hulk periodically gets control of himself, and you see Banner running the show with Hulk's strength, though when he's rational he's generally reasonable. For the most part when The Hulk is "sane" he's an Avengers member, when he's a berserker The Avengers usually get sent to try and contain or control him.

Super Heroes also rarely die, and it wouldn't fit the genere. Those that do die, typically come back. No point in complaining about the trope.

Also connected to the first point, if they ARE doing the Infinity Gauntlet arc, it is The Hulk in possession of Banner's brains who participates in that. Indeed one big aspect of the lead in to that battle was Wolverine and The Hulk being asked to not hold back and kill Thanos if they had a chance, as they are two of the only heroes who will kill without hestitation when they need arises.

Some tie ins to the whole thing also mentioned that they did The Hulk that way because generally speaking if Hulk was his raging self, he would have WTFpwned Thanos and smashed the gauntlet and walked off. The Hulk operating at full capacity is that ridiculous, multiple cosmic powered characters have trouble slowing him down, and when Thanos fought the heroes (the round before the army of cosmic entities) he had not mastered the powers, heck he didn't really have them under control until Eternity decided to step in... which like usual in a case where he shows up, he shows up five minutes after he could have dealt with a situation.

As a result, I'd expect more "Smart Hulk" (or controlled Hulk) in storylines where he's with other heroes. Hulk has to be written so he's not at full power in most cases, similar to how in DC in most stories they need to find some reason why Superman isn't at full power yet again. The Hulk only gets to be at full power when he's fighting other heroes usually (though there are exceptions) to prevent too many heavy hitters like Thanos having their careers end with his giant footprint imbedded in their smooshed face.

... and yes, I am quite aware of how powerful Eternals are. The Hulk has gone up against them before (Sersei, etc...) if I recall, as he has also run into guys like Firelord or The Silver Surfer, or even guys like Wonder Man (who has gotten slapped around like a little girl). Weak hulk they are more powerful than, mad hulk they are little more than a distraction.
Dude, this post is a joke.

It seems like you've read the stuff, but by the way you talk about the Hulk leaves me confused. There's no way the Hulk would come close to "smashing" Thanos. And the stuff about multiple cosmic characters having a hard time slowing down the Hulk is a straight up lie.

First off, "smashing" the gauntlet is impossible. They've tried to the destroy the Infinity Gems many times and that doesn't work very well. Even the Infinity Being couldn't truly unmake itself. That's why they're gems.

Secondly, Thanos had far better knowledge of how to use the gauntlet than anybody else given the time he had with them and the time spent gazing into death's well. He chose to turn off input from the other gems as a gesture to death, suggested by Mephisto, that's the only reason why he did so poorly against the heroes.

Third, Hulk can never operate at fully capacity and it wouldn't be logical for anything like that to exist. He relies on gamma radiation, which just about any herald or high-end superhero can do whatever they want with, and rage. Like you probably read in WWH (a story that was laughably generous in its showings), or any Hulk stories, he relies on events and plots to make him even angrier. While the writers who handle the Hulk, hacks as they are (aside from the Peterman), often ignore any sense of logic or in-verse showings, Mindless Hulk should by all means be the strongest he can be. There's no maximum capacity when you rely on a type of energy and an emotion. And there is a reasonable limit to the latter.

Fourth, Hulk on his best days (aka with his worst writers) can tangle with Surfer, Thor and other herald-type guys when they take it to fisticuffs. The kind of heroes that would have to team up in order to take down Thanos. Hulk just isn't taking him down. Even IF Thanos would be stupid enough to actually fight the hulk hand to hand, he's still one of the most skilled fighters in the universe. He trained Gamora for christs sake. The fact that Thanos (up until annihilation) easily handled Drax w/power gem or the Champion w/gem , should clue you in on just how outclassed the Hulk is. Drax in his own right is around the level we usually see an angry hulk operate on, and the Power Gem practically grants him limitless energy and so on.

Fifth, the eternals are barely "cosmic" as far as most of marvel is concerned. The noteworthy ones have powers that directly counter his, Sersi/Makkari, or are just too powerful, Forgotten one/Zuras.

There's no excuse for spreading this kind of filth to those who do not read comics. I have little love for Thanos, but the idea that the Hulk win in a fight against him, and easily at that, is a laugh.
So... who would win Thor or Hulk?

Thor right?

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
irishda said:
People are weird. They can accept things if someone in a lab coat stands there and says sciencey-stuff. But for some reason, introducing outer space and cosmo-magic generally tends to cull the audience down into the people that like that genre.
The further you get away from reality, the more people tend to rely on completely arbitrary rules.

Really popular science fiction usually grounds things out. Star Wars is a good example, taking most of its inspiration from westerns and modeling most of its space fights after real WWII footage. The more overt fantasy elements were clearly defined, so Luke doesn't pull some insane Jedi power out of his ass to defeat the Emperor... it comes down to him reminding his father of the man he once was. It was Reality Plus.

Something like Dr. Strange. It's one ass-pull after another, with the character capable of doing anything the writer deems necessary for the story. The more cosmic characters run into a lot of the same issues as their powers are so far beyond the scope of reality that they essentially become whatever the writer wants them to be. It's tough to write good, interesting stories when the ground rules aren't clearly established.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Xenominim said:
Question now is, what is Thanos' movie history going to be? I wouldn't think they'll be content to just leave him as a generic big bad out to take over the galaxy, but at the same time I don't think Marvel is going to toss Death with breasts up on screen.
Well, maybe only her HEAD is a skull, like in the 90s deadpool run where Deadpool makes out with death.

Seriously, if there were any doubt Deadpool is amazing, that's it.
A fucking love triangle between Death, the most powerful being in the universe, and the most bafflingly unmurderable bastard the world has ever known

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
CatmanStu said:
I turned to my mate, a much bigger Marvel junkie than I (I'm a DC man), and asked if that was who I thought it was.

He said "Yeah, I think so. But why is Heimdal in outer space?"

/facepalm
Forget the facepalm; you need to give him a firm slap to the back of the head and then lock him in a cupboard with a copy of The Infinity Gauntlet and The Infinity Crusade and tell him he can't come out until he has read both.

At least if he had said Super-Skrull it could be overlooked; kind of.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
llagrok said:
Therumancer said:
Jaeke said:

Dude, this post is a joke.

It seems like you've read the stuff, but by the way you talk about the Hulk leaves me confused. There's no way the Hulk would come close to "smashing" Thanos. And the stuff about multiple cosmic characters having a hard time slowing down the Hulk is a straight up lie.

First off, "smashing" the gauntlet is impossible. They've tried to the destroy the Infinity Gems many times and that doesn't work very well. Even the Infinity Being couldn't truly unmake itself. That's why they're gems.

Secondly, Thanos had far better knowledge of how to use the gauntlet than anybody else given the time he had with them and the time spent gazing into death's well. He chose to turn off input from the other gems as a gesture to death, suggested by Mephisto, that's the only reason why he did so poorly against the heroes.

Third, Hulk can never operate at fully capacity and it wouldn't be logical for anything like that to exist. He relies on gamma radiation, which just about any herald or high-end superhero can do whatever they want with, and rage. Like you probably read in WWH (a story that was laughably generous in its showings), or any Hulk stories, he relies on events and plots to make him even angrier. While the writers who handle the Hulk, hacks as they are (aside from the Peterman), often ignore any sense of logic or in-verse showings, Mindless Hulk should by all means be the strongest he can be. There's no maximum capacity when you rely on a type of energy and an emotion. And there is a reasonable limit to the latter.

Fourth, Hulk on his best days (aka with his worst writers) can tangle with Surfer, Thor and other herald-type guys when they take it to fisticuffs. The kind of heroes that would have to team up in order to take down Thanos. Hulk just isn't taking him down. Even IF Thanos would be stupid enough to actually fight the hulk hand to hand, he's still one of the most skilled fighters in the universe. He trained Gamora for christs sake. The fact that Thanos (up until annihilation) easily handled Drax w/power gem or the Champion w/gem , should clue you in on just how outclassed the Hulk is. Drax in his own right is around the level we usually see an angry hulk operate on, and the Power Gem practically grants him limitless energy and so on.

Fifth, the eternals are barely "cosmic" as far as most of marvel is concerned. The noteworthy ones have powers that directly counter his, Sersi/Makkari, or are just too powerful, Forgotten one/Zuras.

There's no excuse for spreading this kind of filth to those who do not read comics. I have little love for Thanos, but the idea that the Hulk win in a fight against him, and easily at that, is a laugh.

All I can say is that your not familiar with the characters, it's that simple. For example I know you apparently haven't read "The Infinity Gauntlet" because they specify that Thanos isn't familiar with using the powers of the gauntlet which is why the various cosmic entities such as Lord Chaos, Master Order, The Celestrials, etc... all attack him and have a chance of beating him. It's said flat out that at that point he had the raw power but not at that point neither the experience or the skill. Granted he *DOES* win.

If you don't think The Hulk has fought and defeated entire teams of super heroes and villains, you really need to read more on the character. Granted like every character his power level has fluctuated over the years, but the actual properly written Hulk is probably as close to flat out invincible as you can get when he's going, which is why "solutions" to the Hulk problem have involved shrinking him down to microscopic level (leading to The Hulk's adventures in The Microverse), or tricking him into a spaceshop and launching him into space (leading to Planet Hulk, and then World War Hulk).

The thing with the Infinity Gauntlet is that while it was being assembled, or people were trying destroy it, none of the characters who could could have done something were present, or weren't really operating at their full capacity.

Understand, my arguement relies on Hulk being in his savage form, and what's more getting him really, really, mad. Like Secret Wars "he is stronger than every major hero in the marvel universe combined" lifting the bloody mountain himself mad, or beyond that. It happens, and really Thanos as he was when he fought the heroes wouldn't be able to stop that.

Hence why The Hulk was "smart hulk" in the Infinity Gauntlet battle, "Smart Hulk" doesn't have the full power level.

The Hulk we had in the Avengers movie (which is what this comes down to) seemed to be similar to "Smart Hulk" or one of the middle ground mergers. A situation where Banner was in control of the transformation to an extent. The point being not so much his power level in this case, but that Hulk has in many cases in the comics been more or less under control, and typically that's when he works with other teams. Hulk tends to be a rampaging threat otherwise that teams try and stop, usually with bad results. Sending say The Avengers, or The Fantastic Four, or whomever else to stop The Hulk when he goes off typically ends with a lot of heroes getting knocked around, tons of property damage, and The Hulk jumping off somewhere else and turning back into Banner and disappearing when he eventually calms down. That's part of the character. The point is that The Hulk's major weakness (mindless rage) is not always present it varies, and generally speaking the more reasonable and smart The Hulk is, the less powerful he is.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
llagrok said:
Jaeke said:
So... who would win Thor or Hulk?

Thor right?
Movie or comics? Hulk would win in the movie.

In the comics they've fought a dozen times. It normally goes something like;
- Thor and Hulk fight hand to hand.
- Thor starts off stronger and Hulk gets the upper hand.
- Thor starts using his hammer.
- Fight is stopped.

But Thor should by all means and in-verse showings, that are not just Hulk vs Thor, completely demolish the Hulk. He can manipulate energy freely and has enough juice to take out planets. The only problem is that any of the writers who will ever do a Thor vs Hulk fight, are likely to have Thor only use Mjolnir as a hammer. He might throw an occasional lightning, but that's it.

It boggles the mind how poorly anybody tries to deal with the Hulk. Even Zeus, who recently chokeslammed the Hulk and literally tore his guts out, fought him hand to hand. The jobber aura that the Hulk throws around is just another worn out trope, a side-effect of the diseased industry. It's the same reason why Captain America and Spidey smashed the Hulk a few times when their tiny hands should've broken.
Well, as I said in a previous message, it depends on how angry The Hulk is. As his rage grows he becomes stronger and more invulnerable. Someone like Spidey or Captain America could handle him under the right circumstances if he wasn't that mad, or fairly in control. Not to mention some of the "variet" Hulks (Grey Hulk, etc...) which were less powerfu overall.

Thor has tried to stop The Hulk in the past along with the Avengers, including his hammer, and usually winds up being able to stand toe to toe with him for a while, but typically winds up getting thrown through walls and such. The same can be said of other strong men like "The Thing" who has had some pretty epic brawls with The Hulk but ultimatly winds up on the losing end.

Now there IS an exception to this, in the alternate "Spider Girl" universe they had a brawl where The Hulk got taken over by Loki and was sent after the other heroes, and you pretty much had everyone there was jump on him and get smacked down. In that universe Thor stopped him, but he was the reigning King of Asgard and pretty much unleashed the Odinforce on him (ie the powers he had as the King of Asgard).