What's the best and worst console controller?

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
There have been plenty of different controller designs, from the Dualshock to the Wiimote, and nowadays it seems like the controller is just as important as the console itself.

Out of all the console controllers in gaming history, which one do you think got it right? Which one was total shit?

They all have similarities, but there's gotta be one that you think really nailed it.

For me, it's the Dualshock 3. The GameCube controller is a close second, but I prefer the Dualshock 3 because it has better symmetry (which I know is a negative point for some people, but it works for me) and better shoulder buttons. It also fits pretty perfectly in my hands.

I think the worst one is the Nintendo 64 controller. It just never made sense to me. I don't see why they couldn't put the joystick on the left or right (preferably left) side instead of giving it it's own handle in the middle. I always felt silly holding the controller by the middle and right handles. Plus the joystick was always too loose and very uncomfortable after an hour or two.

There are plenty out there, which one is your favorite and least favorite?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Best: Xbox 360 controller. I'm so used to holding it now, it just fits me perfectly.

Worst: Madcatz 360 controller. Feel really weird and awkward for me, and I just can't get used to it.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Best: PS3 controller. Been playing on that one (in essence) since Dual Shock came for the PSX.
Feels natural to me.

Worst: N64 controller. Seriously, how am I even supposed to hold it?

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
I can't say what's best but I really like the the small xbox controller, the big Xbox controller is like holding a brick, they got the small one right though.

ImanOcean

Feb 27, 2011
Best for me being the 360 controller, Just fits in my hand nicely and I love the weight of it.

Worst being the wiimote, it just feels wrong if I need to use it for games that don't use motion control, heck it EVEN feels wrong when I use it for motion controls.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Worst the ps3 boomerang controller.. (ps-move also because it's a wii-mote with a ping-pong ball on the end. And Kinect too because people are the controller)

Best both the PS3 and Xbox 360... I get used to one after a while of playing the other but when I go back they're both equally as good.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Best:- Xbox 360
Worst:- Origional Xbox "dinnerplate" controller

No idea what that were thinking with that design

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
For me the 360 OR GameCube controller - both fit quite nicely in the hands.

Seriously though, I cannot believe anyone hasn't mentioned the god awful trashy controller for the Atari Jaguar - that is by far the worst controller ever invented for a console!

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Best: Mouse/Keyboard (if that counts). If not, the gamecube controller.

Was never dead keen on the 360 controller but the wii controllers would have to be my least favourite.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Best- Official Nintendo Gamecube controller. It felt comfortable and right when I hold it.

Worst-Nintendo Classic Pro. I don't know why but for some reason whenever I use it to play Monster Hunter Tri, it put alot of strain on my right thumb joints (I think it have something to do with using the right analogue stick on my right thumb).

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
For me, my favourite controllers are the Playstation controllers. They haven't deviated that much from the original so holding that controller is almost second nature to me now.

Worst controller: Possibly the N64 controller. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nintendo 64 and it doesn't stop the rush of nostalgia I get when I pick up my gold Nintendo 64 controller, or my brother's green controller, but I must admit, it is an awkward controller to hold onto, especially if you have quite small hands like I do.

farq1414

Jan 26, 2011
Best: PS3 controller grew up with it love it

Worst: tie GameCube controller and Xbox 360 controller can't get used to the change of the left stick and the d-pad find it hard to use maybe it's just me growing up with play station controllers

weker

May 27, 2009
Best Xbox 360 controller for the best as it feels robust with a sleek design and fits most hand sizes

may sound fanboyish here :p

Worst Playstation controllers fee,l flimsy small and cheaply made for me, as well as the stick position and shape make me say "blaaaggghhh"

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
The best:
The PlayStation DualShock 1, 2 and 3 - they're all the same, really, but it's hard to improve on perfection. Also, the X360 controllers, but since the design is sort of copy/paste from the DualShock, I prefer giving that one the credit.

The worst:
The N64 controller. I always saw it as the controller Dr. Frankenstein would make, for people with three hands. A D-pad, a set of C-buttons as some sort of extra surrogate D-pad, a joystick right in the middle of it all. one trigger for two shoulder buttons,... To me, it always looked as if they took the good ol' SNES controller and threw it in a blender. Plus, I really disliked the analog stick, it was a cheap little thing that would break down after six months.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I would go with the 360 controller as the best
for the worst is the jaguar. sooooo many buttons
I also like the N64 controllers but the joystick always wore out pretty quickly and the you had to use the d pad and who wants that?

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Love my PS3 controller. It does everything it's supposed to.

Sure the N64 was weird, but it worked. Can't think of a N64 game when I felt limited by the controller.

I think I would have some problems using a NES controller today though...

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Best is the original xbox controller, yes the HUUUUUUGE one!

Worst, (out of the ones that I've used) has to be the playstation controllers. I can't get my hands comfortable holding those things, especially if I have to use the analogue sticks.