What's the best and worst console controller?

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Best: Original [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/3/25/] Xbox [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/28/] controller [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/8/29/]. I have size 11 hands, and all other controllers are way too small. I have regular size Xbox 360 controllers, and one of them is falling apart because my natural grip is so much stronger than a normal-sized person.

Worst: N64 controller. Horrible, awkward piece of shit. The joystick actually hurt to use, and playing any FPS (or worse, party game) would gradually wear out the connectors. I own 5.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Best: PS3 controller. Small, light, good fit, no batteries required.

Worst: Take your pick from the Nintendo controllers. Although I do like the N64 one. Weird, but somehow fun to use.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Best I'd say would be gamecube, fits the hand well and it's very hard to break.

Worst in general is the original original xbox one, that huge one you could club a bear to death with, I seriously couldn't reach some buttons on it.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
For me, the best is between DualShock 2 and the Xbox 360 controller, although I'd probably lean towards the former. I'm willing to admit that this is at least in part because I just plain love the PS2.
wooty said:
Worst:- Origional Xbox "dinnerplate" controller
Definitely this. How were we supposed to use it? You can't reach half the buttons; using it was rather like trying to play a videogame while wearing boxing gloves.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Best: xbox 360 controller: nothing is wasted and it is better suited to one's hand than a playstation controller

Worst: Nintendo 64 controller. I love the system, it was after all my first one and what got me into gaming, but there is an entire 1/3 of its mass on its left side which was never used, need I say more?

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
My favorite is the original nintendo controllor. It's just so simple!

Worst is definitely the Dreamcast. Why does the cord com out of the bottom!?

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Worst: Intellivision. That little disc you used to do pretty much everything was very inaccurate and the numberpad sucked to use and made a weird crinkly sound because of the sheet you had to put over it for each game.

Best: I'd have to say the Playstation controllers. All of the buttons are easily within reach and using both sets of bumper buttons requires very little movement at all. Close 2nd is the XBOX 360 controller, but their design is basically based of Playstation's, although a little chunkier.

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
Best: 360
Worst: So many from before the last gen, but I have to say the worst would be...the Nintendo 64. Only one I've actually got my hands on that I couldn't properly figure out what was going on.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
I modded my controllers, the one I use for Xbox 360 at the moment has a laser track ball instead of the right analog stick (way more accurate after I got used to useing it) and duplicate A,B,X,Y and thumbstick-click buttons on the back of the controller so i can hit them with those fingers wasnt useing for anything else, and so i dont have to take my thumb off aiming).

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'd say the best one is the 360 controller and the worst is the PS3 Controller because it's too light and feels like it's gonna snap at any second.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Best: PS3 Duelshocks. I grew up with them, and I'm just used to them.
Worst: Xbox controllers. They're way too heavy and clunky, and I prefer my controllers light. That's why I like the PS3 controller.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Best is either the PS3 or 360 controller. I'm going to go with 360 on the grounds that it's easier to make your own control maps if you're linking to the PC.

Worst was deffo the N64 controller. I tried playing Duke Nukem 64 the other day and could not get used to the walking and turning controls. Though I was good at it when I was younger, so maybe it's just been ruined by newer controllers. Better controllers.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
if we're talking about current controllers, best is ps3 and worst is 360. its just feels bulky and awkward to hold

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Best is DualShock 3. It seems Sony are the only ones who can make a good D-Pad.
Worst is probably the N64 one, which was apparently designed for some kind of alien life form with three hands. If that's not bad design, I don't know what is.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Worst has to be the Mega Drive arcade stick, huge, heavy and unresponsive as Hell.

Best is easily the Gamecube controller, ergonomics were perfect for me (so much so that when I smashed my wrist I kept hold of one in my bandaged hand to keep it in a comfortable position).

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Best: PS3 Controller. It's the right size, unlike the XBOX controller that feels like a block of mercury with awkward small pointy buttons on it.

Worst: Atari 5200. I don't even have to explain why (IT'S A FUCKING PHONE).

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Does the PSP count? Cause I nominate the PSP as the most unergonomic controller/handheld gaming system ever made. 20 minutes of using it and I have severe hand cramps like I've never had with any other gaming item. I seriously would play it more if it didn't leave me crippled like an arthritic old man after an hour of play.

Best controller is probably the Nintendo 64's in my opinion. It wouldn't work by todays standards, but it stands out as being one of the most "Wtf?" controllers ever. I can guarentee almost everyone who used it looked at it and thought "What the hell is that thing? There is no way it's going to work". Only to use and be shocked at exactly how well it DID work! Ahhh, those were the days, back when Nintendo were the gaming lords. Not the gaming laughing stock.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Best: The PS3/PS2 controller. Fit perfectly in your hand and has symmetrical analog sticks.

Worst: I'd probably say the N64, while has a brilliant sense of nostalgia, it was just a bit clunky and having 3 places to put 2 hands is a little unwieldy.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Best: Gamecube. To put it in the best light, it was the PS2 controller, but with the left analog stick and d-pad switching spots, and the two buttons most used made more prominent on the controller. I also prefered the shape of the shoulder buttons on it, and the overall design made it easier for me to hold.

Worst: well, going by mainstream choices, I'd say the original XBox controller, but overall? I'd say anyof the old controllers with a number pad on it.