What's the best and worst console controller?

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
For me the best controllers had to be the Xbox NeoS (with the exception of the white and black button placement) and the 360 controller (with the exception of the D-pad). The design is close to perfect for me and ergonomically fits me very well. I'm also fond of the SNES, Dreamcast and N64 controllers.

The worst: Every iteration of the Playstation controller, they feel really bad in my hands, the analogue sticks feel too loose, they're too light, I dislike the face button scheme (saying triangle, x, circle, square is more awkward than a,b,x,y, or even just colours). I also really didn't like the Gamecube controller, it felt like a cheap plastic toy and the analogue stick was particularly dreadful as well. Lots of third party crap.

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
Best is the gamecube controller (wavebird... sooo good), all wii games I play with the GC controller as it is so much better than wiimote.

xbox 360 comes second due to battery compartment being a dick occasionally and not fitting/terrible D-pad/not as nice shoulder buttons. But otherwise excellent.

Worst would be classic controller for wii. They knew they needed a better option than wiimote for most games and yet they put the two sticks at the bottom. No idea what they were thinking. Also terrible was the arcade pad for gamecube.

MattyintheHatty

Feb 3, 2011
I honestly believe the best controller of all time is the Super Nintendo Controller. It was sleek and simple. Not like the NES one with his sharp square corners.
But the worst controller is a toss up with the Xbox Controller, not the 360 one but the first one and the Atari Jaguar controller, each were too big.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
best- PS2 dualshock controller
other than being effiecient and generally light, those things were solid. I threw those things aginst walls and the floor many times in rage, never had one break on me.

Worst -(tie) N64 controller and Xbox controller
Xbox- extremely clunky didn't fit in the hands very well and was much to large. only good thing was it brought back memories of the dreamcast controllers.
N64- apparently designed by someone with 3 hands. easily broken and joystick had a very short lifespan.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
best would depend entirely on what i'm playing. for most games i would say the 360 controller feels best and is easiest to use, for anything requiring the d-pad however, any of the dual-shock (PS) controllers are perfect.

worst controller (that i've used) would either be the dreamcast (that thing starts hurting your hands QUICK), or the NES controller. i know the NES was made before the concept of ergonomics in game controllers, but still... all those hard corners... ouch.

OroCrimson

Dec 18, 2010
A Weakgeek said:
Best: Xbox 360 controller or dualshock, I cant really decide.
Worst: AND I CAN'T BELIVE NOONE MENTIONED THIS: Those freaking keypad controllers on some ataris and colecovision and other ancient machine. I want to keep my phone and my controller seperate please.
Actually it was mentioned. On like, the first page, maybe the second.

Anyway, OT.

Best: Probably would be GameStop's wireless PS2 controller. Dunno what it is, but it feels really nice in my hands.

I used to HATE the original Xbox controller, but after a while of playing with it, it gets really easy to get used to. Unfortunately I went back to playing my PS2 and felt that my hands were mostly empty >.>

I hate the original Xbox controller again.

Worst: Now I agree with absolutely everyone on the N64 controller, they must of hired a bunch of lemmings to design that controller.

And yes, from what I've seen of the Jaguar, it seems just as moronic.

But the worst controller I've ever seen, and its a PC controller, is The AlphaGrip AG-5 PC Gaming and Text Entry Controller...

Front:

Back:

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
Best is the Xbox 360 controller: It fits me like a glove.

Worst is the N64 controller: Big and awkward. There was no perfect way to hold it.

Special mention goes to the NES controller: Four buttons and a D-pad. Simple and effective.

HeSaNa

Jan 31, 2010
I really dug using the Sega Dreamcast controller. I don't remember encountering any problems while using it.

I believe the ideal controller to be one that's not even thought about, kind of instinctive. The moment you notice any sort of limitation or discomfort, the controller isn't doing it's job. The best controllers are the one's you don't notice while playing.

My experience with the Dreamcast controller was limited but whenever I went over to my cousin's house for a session of Power Stone; the controller just fit into my hand and was quickly forgotten.

The next aspect is durability, the controller's life span. I disliked the N64 controller for that. The "centre" stick constantly grinding along the recess creating a powdery residue and at times a tactile and audible grinding sensation. it constantly reminded me that it was there, not what I think a controller should do or be.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Best Controllers:
PlayStation Line of controllers from the original Digital Pad to the Dual Shock 3.
Arcade games: Custom Arcade Joysticks
Game pads for arcade/Fighting titles, The Sega Genesis v2 game pads.
Runner Up: Bally Astrocade Trigger handle Joystick. (Look it up)

Worst:N64 game controllers? How do you hold this thing.
Xbox Original Controllers. Even my Gorilla hands struggle to hold this beast.
The Atari Jaguar Controller, It didn't work before why use that terrible design again.
Runner up: Philips CDi Remote Control, are you a DVD Remote, a Wireless mouse or a game pad?
Just Pick one damn it.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Best: Anything but the wiimote and motion controllers (if they count).
Worst: Motion controllers (I don't care if it's 1:1 ratio, Ive used a controller since the Atari, when I was like freakin' 2.)

Cooklez

May 30, 2011
Best: Playstation 3 Dualshock, I grew up with those...glad they don't change ^__^ A close second is the Xbox 360 controller, both of those don't make my hands cramp XD
Worst: NES...Like...rectangles....rectangles?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
My personal best: The official GameCube controller. It just fits so comfortably into my hands and it's durable as all hell.

Worst: The Pelican AfterGlow GameCube controller. Damn thing didn't work worth shit. It was unresponsive and glitchy and it's only distinguishing feature was the stupid "AfterGlow" gimmick.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Best: Playstation controllers, everything's where it should be without any of that "fashionable asymmetry" crap where the Left stick and the Arrow pad have been swapped around for no reason.

Worse: Touchscreens, they get the screen all dirty and about the only controls you have are "swipe" and "jab"

Sep 14, 2009
BEST:

the 360 controller or gamecube controller, they are both extremely comfortable to hold and i have never had a problem using them, and considering my 4 year old brother uses them also with complete ease they are obviously made for multiple sized hands

WORST:

probably the n64 or wii-mote, seriously a fucking trident for human beings? and a fucking remote that has like 4 buttons on it that are actually useable in-game? fuck that noise, i use it all the time but its still shitty

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
best : i find the Xbox 360 and gamecube pretty good.

Worst - N64 and the big Xbox ones.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
OroCrimson said:
A Weakgeek said:
Best: Xbox 360 controller or dualshock, I cant really decide.
Worst: AND I CAN'T BELIVE NOONE MENTIONED THIS: Those freaking keypad controllers on some ataris and colecovision and other ancient machine. I want to keep my phone and my controller seperate please.
Actually it was mentioned. On like, the first page, maybe the second.

Front:

Back:
Oh my bad. And it seems they put all the keys on a pc keyboard on a controller, hey why not?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Midnight Crossroads said:
Best is the 360 controller. Worst I've ever used is probably the Dreamcast's.
Oh yeah, I can't believe Sega released a next-generation console with a controller that doesn't even have a right analogue stick.

What is it with Japan and the fear of the right analogue stick? PSP they skipped it, Nintendo made zero effort with the Gamecube's right stick. Also, so many Japanese games don't use the right analogue stick for anything especially not for moving the camera (Metal Gear 1-3, Resident Evil 4, Ape Escape, Devil May cry, Bayonetta, etc) a long standing trend that doesn't seem to have been undone till recently (Vanquish, MGS4, Dead Rising).

Why is it western developers cottoned onto the left-stick-movement and right-stick-look so early and consistently?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
BEST PS1/PS2/PS3 (and copies) feels nice in the hand and feels natural
WORST WII it,s hard to get used to and terrible for games where you need to hold it like a normal controller it is handy in use for stuff developed for the wii (like TCUK)