What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard or overheard someone say?

Wadderz

Aug 9, 2011
Friend 1: What did you do this weekend?

Friend 2: I went to the Cheddar mines, it was pretty cool..

Friend 1: Is that where they mine the cheese?

bugregela

Jun 24, 2011
This conversation I had during the time I was in College (British College is 16-18 years old).
I was talking to a friend from school about all the new people I had met.
I told her that one person had come from South America (The Falkland Islands to be specific).

*Side fact - Apparently in the Falklands they do not have colleges or universities so have to come to United Kingdom if they want to continue their education.

Her response upon hearing where my new friend had come from was "Really!!" "How does he get here everyday!"

I facepalmed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In another incedent I have a friend from school who isn't the sharpest tool in the box.
He was trying to be a boy racer (the kind who try to be the "Need for Speed"ers).

He once asked my brother about wanting to fit NoS in his car.
My brother responded by saying; "Don't bother it's too expensive and dangourous if you don't mix it right"

His response was to ask "What about those red things?" pointing at fire-extingusihers
At this point I interjected by stating "You want to use fire-extinguishers to ENHANCE the combustion process in your car?!!"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
We were watching this in my English class in preparation for an assignment, and near the end, a girl asked if it was based on a true story.

Olo_Burrows

Jun 28, 2009
during a lecture about darwinism at university:

idiot: how do we know all these things that you're talking about?

Lecturer: erm. We just do. From books and things.

idiot: But I've never heard of evolution or Darwin so how can it be real?

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
SextusMaximus said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Any kind of religious or historically/scientifically inaccurate bullshit just brings my piss to a boil. Also, people accepting gays way too much. It's like, ffs. When you think about it, it's really a mental condition and not a "choice of life" or "personality trait" as many describe it. And yeah, whatever, if they wanna get married so fucking much just let them, but BY FUCK, don't let them adopt children (mindfuck).
Actually, I think this is the dumbest thing I've heard someone say.
Too bad

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
A couple of my friends went on a few-days visit to Paris once. One day, Friend 1 suggested to Friend 2 that they go to the Louvre the following day. Friend 2 said "Ok, is that a night club or something?". We still make fun of that friend for that one occasionally. Alas, recently she asked me "Is Bulgaria in Europe?", about a month after she booked a holiday to go there.

Also, I knew someone who is very racist and was always professing how proud he is to be British, and he believes that non-white British people are not "really" British. He on one occasion asked me "Who was Winston Churchill? Was he an inventor or something?". And he considers me "foreign" even though I was born in England, just because I lived in Canada for a long time and have the remnants of an accent, so I loved the irony of having to explain that one to him.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
vrbtny said:
Today a kid in my class stated that Tony Blair was the Prime-Minister...

Soooooo.... Gordon Brown and the Coalition never happened?
Um.... Tony Blair was the Prime Minister, though; or are you taking the mick?
Apologies, I probably worded that wrong. He meant Tony Blair was the active the Prime-minister. As in, he was sitting in number 10 running the country right now.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Any kind of religious or historically/scientifically inaccurate bullshit just brings my piss to a boil. Also, people accepting gays way too much. It's like, ffs. When you think about it, it's really a mental condition and not a "choice of life" or "personality trait" as many describe it. And yeah, whatever, if they wanna get married so fucking much just let them, but BY FUCK, don't let them adopt children (mindfuck).
?

its like you just contradicted what you said...

most reasons for disliking homosexuality seem to be religiously based. I mean whats wrong with it? can you expect all gays to turn hetero? people have tried that, Im not so sure it works. There is debate where gayness comes from...but from what I can see it is what it is, not somthing you can really prevent

as for the adopting children thing..I dont know, if I were in such a position my only concern about allowing gay coupples to have children would be the predjudice of OTHERS, not their ability to raise a child
I am atheist and judging gays just by saying "it's a sin" is ridiculous. I judge them because imagining a man with with a hairy ass fucking another man with a hairy ass is just......yeah, you know.
then dont fucking imagine it...

its just as stupid, your reasoning is "ewwww it makes me UNCOMFORTABLE" thats just pathetic
See, this is the kind of shit that also pisses me off. People talk about racism and sexism here and all kinds of shit, but as soon as someone who is not 100% fine with gay people shows up, nobody wants to go there. I stand alone saying that I AM NOT TOTALLY FINE WITH GAY PEOPLE. THEY DISTURB ME. And then I get gang-raped by people who think they are being really tolerant and awesome by saying that I am a homophobe and pathetic etc. I know exactly what you think about me because I have a lot of empathy. Here you are defending gay people and thinking I'm some kind of conservative and ignorant moron. Well, it's not like that.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I once overheard a girl talking to her friend on the bus about sex... She was in 12th Grade at the time...

Girl-"Wait! Your telling me that there's more than one sperm every time he goes off???"

*Wait... It gets worse*

Friend-"Yeah! Theres like... dozens of them!"

...they must live in a magical world... Where every day holds new exciting wonders and mysteries...

EDIT: Oh yeah! I forgot a good one!

A friend of mine has little brothers in Middle School... They are completely racist and homophobic and surprisingly cruel and sadistic... Anyways, I heard them talking once...

*watching American News (BTW they live in Canada)*
"Look at all those fucking Mexicans! Coming into our country, stealing our shit..."
"Yeah... fuckin chinks! I'm surprised they can even see through those squinty eyes!"

...okay then... that was an absolutely terrible thing to say and I'm pretty sure I gave one of them a good slap for that but they didn't even get their racial slurs right??? These guys are too stupid to be correctly stupid!!!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Pat8u said:
in highschool
My english Teacher: Now [Boys name] can you tell me who shakespeare is
[boy]: Is it when you shake a speare

Me and My friends couldn't stop laughing at the stupid
That is hardly stupid.... it's just a epic and alternative way of looking at the world.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
vrbtny said:
SextusMaximus said:
vrbtny said:
Today a kid in my class stated that Tony Blair was the Prime-Minister...

Soooooo.... Gordon Brown and the Coalition never happened?
Um.... Tony Blair was the Prime Minister, though; or are you taking the mick?
Apologies, I probably worded that wrong. He meant Tony Blair was the active the Prime-minister. As in, he was sitting in number 10 running the country right now.
Oh I see, no - the wording was completely correct, just a flaw in the English language.

[sub]we need more tenses damn-it![/sub]

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
ThatLankyBastard said:
I once overheard a girl talking to her friend on the bus about sex... She was in 12th Grade at the time...

Girl-"Wait! Your telling me that there's more than one sperm every time he goes off???"

*Wait... It gets worse*

Friend-"Yeah! Theres like... dozens of them!"

...they must live in a magical world... Where every day holds new exciting wonders and mysteries...
Well if you were at chenobyl.... or stand naked next to a nuclear reactor. Maybe...

ChaplainOrion said:
Some kid on Xbox live: "Aren't all the Nazis Jews?
This kid could have juts come up with the next generation insult. All history set aside, isn't calling someone a Nazi-Jew effectively a double insult. With compound interest that makes like..... a hell of a insult.

A3Bf72rVWE5hA

Nov 10, 2009
CRRPGMykael said:
See, this is the kind of shit that also pisses me off. People talk about racism and sexism here and all kinds of shit, but as soon as someone who is not 100% fine with gay people shows up, nobody wants to go there. I stand alone saying that I AM NOT TOTALLY FINE WITH GAY PEOPLE. THEY DISTURB ME. And then I get gang-raped by people who think they are being really tolerant and awesome by saying that I am a homophobe and pathetic etc. I know exactly what you think about me because I have a lot of empathy. Here you are defending gay people and thinking I'm some kind of conservative and ignorant moron. Well, it's not like that.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't there a lot of people that aren't totally fine with gays and are disturbed by them? Also, I appreciate your honesty, but if it's only the thought of two men having sex that makes you think that it's wrong, that doesn't really give a good reason for why they can't adopt. And one more thing: is it just gay men, or gay women as well?

OT: One of my friends, being reasonably intelligent, once said that the glass is always full (in the glass half full or empty metaphor). He goes on to explain that even if you take a full cup of water and empty half of it, there's still air in it. Fair enough. I said if you put it in a vacuum, the cup wouldn't have any air in it. In response, a girl nearby said this:
Girl: But if you put it in a vacuum, wouldn't there be dust and stuff in it?
Me: No, I mean like the vacuum of space.
Girl: But there's still stuff in space, I mean, it can't be empty can it?
Me: Yes, yes it can.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CRRPGMykael said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
?

its like you just contradicted what you said...

most reasons for disliking homosexuality seem to be religiously based. I mean whats wrong with it? can you expect all gays to turn hetero? people have tried that, Im not so sure it works. There is debate where gayness comes from...but from what I can see it is what it is, not somthing you can really prevent

as for the adopting children thing..I dont know, if I were in such a position my only concern about allowing gay coupples to have children would be the predjudice of OTHERS, not their ability to raise a child
I am atheist and judging gays just by saying "it's a sin" is ridiculous. I judge them because imagining a man with with a hairy ass fucking another man with a hairy ass is just......yeah, you know.
then dont fucking imagine it...

its just as stupid, your reasoning is "ewwww it makes me UNCOMFORTABLE" thats just pathetic
you may not be fine with gayness on a personal level..Im sure plenty of people arnt, but that doesnt mean you need to go spewing stuff like this

personality trait" as many describe it. And yeah, whatever, if they wanna get married so fucking much just let them, but BY FUCK, don't let them adopt children (mindfuck)[/B]

I am atheist and judging gays just by saying "it's a sin" is ridiculous. I judge them because imagining a man with with a hairy ass fucking another man with a hairy ass is just......yeah, you know[/B]

because its making you come across that way...weather you really are homophobic or not (its the swearing)

the issue of gay couples having children is a hot-topic that I am undecided on, youd need to ask an expert on the science ,But Id be leaning towards being ok with it if there still wasnt such a prdjudice against it..especially from other children, I mean it does exist..youd have to look at studys to see how those kids turned out

all I can gather from what your saying is "I find it disgusting..therefore it is WROOOOOONG"

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Here is an example from American politics

Hank Johnson a Congressman from Georgia stood before a Armed Services Committee to explain how the U.S. military's arrangement of forces could flip Guam over.

a more personal experience with stupidity

When I was 8, I was talking with one of the cub scout leaders in our pack about how did we know how old stuff was in archeology. When I mentioned carbon dating, he told me that carbon dating was inaccurate because the tested sample can never have been wet to get an accurate date. He told me with a strait face that this is why we know that fossils aren't millions of years old, because they got wet at some point.

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
I heard so much stupid things, especially since I've become an outspoken atheist, but in the last week? Probably this post:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336461-The-thing-you-will-always-want-but-can-never-have