What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard or overheard someone say?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I would just like to say that this is probably one of the best threads to have ever come into existence... ever, anywhere on the Internet.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Myself:
Once, after a presentation about hydrogen powered cars, I asked "But isn't it a bad idea to vaporize all our water?" (hydrogen powered cars essentially take liquid water and turn it into water vapor)
I got laughed at by the entire room, including a professor because they thought I thought the cars would be powered by fresh water (which is rare) and not salty water (which is not rare).

The thing is, that's not what I meant at all. What I was getting at is that water vapor is a friggin greenhouse gas so having all our cars produce it probably isn't that much better than CO2. But at this point it was already too late to clarify :(

So yeah, that's the dumbest thing I myself ever said. Even though it was only because I formulated my question very poorly.

Others:
I... It's... the... you... I... How could I ever pick just one? Have you been surfing the same internet as me???

Ps. hydrogen powered cars don't just release the water vapor, they catch it in a seperate room and let it cool so it becomes liquid again. So they actually don't discharge anything into the atmosphere. That wasn't mentioned in the presentation though.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Samson Savill de Jong said:
toss up between little year 7 kid saying "respect your olders", and an american woman in the louvre, whilst talking about van gough's paintings, saying "they're very pretty but I wouldn't want one in my house". YES YOU FUCKING WOULD, IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING MASTERPIECE. and even if you didn't like astetichally (although you apparently do), then I'm fairly sure you'd impress your friends with your piece of art worth several million pounds.

also anything creationists say to justify themselves
Wouldn't having that in your house be just like a rob me I'm filthy rich sign?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Filip Bosnjak said:
I am only in grade eight but half my class didn't now what the holocaust was . Six million people died
Six million JEWS died, way more people died. It bothers me when people just think it was the Jews.
EDIT: when the tsunami hit Thailand a few years ago, a friend's girlfriend asked if we'd heard about the tidal wave in tsunami.

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
"Wait, Ireland's a real country?"

"Were Adam and Eve Black?"

"Chickens are White?"

"What's a Fork"

Another one, that is a facepalm to all classic rock lovers,
"Hey do you like the song 'Smoke on the Water?'"
"Yeah! I love AC/DC!"
Such Ignorance...

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
One of my friends who's actually a pretty book-smart person told me that she doesn't "believe" that the vikings ever existed. "They're a make-believe like the tooth fairy or Santa Clause." She was totally serious. Even now, two years after she told me this, she doesn't believe they were real.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
''How many languages does Switzerland have?'' I asked someone. The not too bright, but very convinced awnser: 36!
I told someone a joke once, and it contained the following question: God gave Mozes a number of commandments, about how many? The reply: I honestly wouldn't know...

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
bliebblob said:
Myself:
Once, after a presentation about hydrogen powered cars, I asked "But isn't it a bad idea to vaporize all our water?" (hydrogen powered cars essentially take liquid water and turn it into water vapor)
I got laughed at by the entire room, including a professor because they thought I thought the cars would be powered by fresh water (which is rare) and not salty water (which is not rare).

The thing is, that's not what I meant at all. What I was getting at is that water vapor is a friggin greenhouse gas so having all our cars produce it probably isn't that much better than CO2. But at this point it was already too late to clarify :(

So yeah, that's the dumbest thing I myself ever said. Even though it was only because I formulated my question very poorly.

Others:
I... It's... the... you... I... How could I ever pick just one? Have you been surfing the same internet as me???

Ps. hydrogen powered cars don't just release the water vapor, they catch it in a seperate room and let it cool so it becomes liquid again. So they actually don't discharge anything into the atmosphere. That wasn't mentioned in the presentation though.
Water vapor, in the form of clouds is reflective, I thought? Meaning that yes, it would keep heat inside the atmosphere, but also reflect incoming sunlight back out. Not an expert on global warming or meteorology, so I could very well be wrong.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Well an ex-girlfriend of mine once texted me "Do they still have mammoths in this country" (the country is the UK btw), to which I replied "Yes, they have them at Blackpool Zoo. I'll take you to see them at the start of summer when they shave the wool" She seemed very excited about this trip up to about an hour later after she'd told all her friends about it. It was at that point I got another text "You're a bastard"

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
weirdsoup said:
Well an ex-girlfriend of mine once texted me "Do they still have mammoths in this country" (the country is the UK btw), to which I replied "Yes, they have them at Blackpool Zoo. I'll take you to see them at the start of summer when they shave the wool" She seemed very excited about this trip up to about an hour later after she'd told all her friends about it. It was at that point I got another text "You're a bastard"
That was epically cruel, you need a award for that sort of behavior. I once tried to pull a similar trick on brother with dodos..... it didn't work unfortunately.

Skulltaker101

Jul 20, 2010
Zip Loc said:
One in particular is their flamboyant usage of racial stereotypes to further their own agenda. There's an Arab in my class, everyone thinks he's a terrorist, despite not being religious at all. There is a Russian, therefore he must be drunk all the time, and it doesn't help he was born 50 km from chernobyl, so everyone gives him crap about how he might be irradiated or stuff like that. I'm a Hungarian, first thing that comes to mind for them is, in my opinion, the worst pun in history (please enlighten me on worse puns). And anyone who tries to even slightly defend them, "fight me".
NB: also have too many Brits to count, always thought of, despite how eloquent most of them are, as being chavs/f*ggots
I wholeheartedly apologise for the impression my kinsmen and women have left on you, my friend. I am British myself, and after a long absence in New Zealand and Australia, I returned and remembered WHY it was that I'd left. Which forms a nice segue into:

OP: When I got back, I found myself in a Year 10 class full of the aforementioned chavs. Their big question, which they insistently asked whenever a new fact was brought up in class, was "MISS? How's this going to help us in real life?"

Alas, I had a serious need to be a smartass towards them in those days, and so I said more than once that they were beyond help.

Also, my Head Girl was completely hopeless. I think her crowning moment was when she tried to appear better at history than me, and straight-up told me that Winston Churchill's assassination was what kicked off World War I. Delightful lady. /sarcasm

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I've worked in a call center for 8 years now...I hear customers say stupid things on every other call. There is simply no way to filter out the most stupid of these comments into a winner.

I'll just go with the all to common classic, "I didn't see my bill over the last 3 months so why should I have to pay it?"

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Any kind of religious or historically/scientifically inaccurate bullshit just brings my piss to a boil. Also, people accepting gays way too much. It's like, ffs. When you think about it, it's really a mental condition and not a "choice of life" or "personality trait" as many describe it. And yeah, whatever, if they wanna get married so fucking much just let them, but BY FUCK, don't let them adopt children (mindfuck).
that
huh? you got my quote mixed up..I dont think that at all
sorry, i know that wasn't you, i just deleted the part that you type cause i couldn't be bothered to go find the actuall comment. didn't realise you're name would come up. I think we agree that it's fucking stupid though.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Skulltaker101 said:
Also, my Head Girl was completely hopeless. I think her crowning moment was when she tried to appear better at history than me, and straight-up told me that Winston Churchill's assassination was what kicked off World War I. Delightful lady. /sarcasm
I..uh..wha-...duh..what!?

Well, wasn't it? /sarcasm.

What she said was hardly dumb. More, multiple things which were each dumb. Thus totalling up with compound dumbness to make.... multiple extremely dumb statements.

Aug 19, 2010
Zip Loc said:
One in particular is their flamboyant usage of racial stereotypes to further their own agenda. There's an Arab in my class, everyone thinks he's a terrorist, despite not being religious at all. There is a Russian, therefore he must be drunk all the time, and it doesn't help he was born 50 km from chernobyl, so everyone gives him crap about how he might be irradiated or stuff like that. I'm a Hungarian, first thing that comes to mind for them is, in my opinion, the worst pun in history (please enlighten me on worse puns). And anyone who tries to even slightly defend them, "fight me".
NB: also have too many Brits to count, always thought of, despite how eloquent most of them are, as being chavs/f*ggots
i feel your pain, i went to many, many schools abroad, and whenever i introduced myself to the class, telling them i'm Hungarian, without flaw, every time they used that terrible, terrible pun.

also on multiple occasion some fellow students questioned the existence of Hungary, and those who actually knew about it had not the faintest clue of where it was. so bloody irritating

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Baneat said:
I downloaded lots of songs onto my ipod, but it doesn't feel any heavier..
NINJA'D! I've actually heard somebody say "Doesn't your iPod get heavier the more songs you put onto it?" which is probably the most stupid thing I've heard to date.

Also "Hitler was communist wasn't he?"

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
CRRPGMykael said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Vault101 said:
CRRPGMykael said:
Any kind of religious or historically/scientifically inaccurate bullshit just brings my piss to a boil. Also, people accepting gays way too much. It's like, ffs. When you think about it, it's really a mental condition and not a "choice of life" or "personality trait" as many describe it. And yeah, whatever, if they wanna get married so fucking much just let them, but BY FUCK, don't let them adopt children (mindfuck).
?

its like you just contradicted what you said...

most reasons for disliking homosexuality seem to be religiously based. I mean whats wrong with it? can you expect all gays to turn hetero? people have tried that, Im not so sure it works. There is debate where gayness comes from...but from what I can see it is what it is, not somthing you can really prevent

as for the adopting children thing..I dont know, if I were in such a position my only concern about allowing gay coupples to have children would be the predjudice of OTHERS, not their ability to raise a child
I am atheist and judging gays just by saying "it's a sin" is ridiculous. I judge them because imagining a man with with a hairy ass fucking another man with a hairy ass is just......yeah, you know.
then dont fucking imagine it...

its just as stupid, your reasoning is "ewwww it makes me UNCOMFORTABLE" thats just pathetic
See, this is the kind of shit that also pisses me off. People talk about racism and sexism here and all kinds of shit, but as soon as someone who is not 100% fine with gay people shows up, nobody wants to go there. I stand alone saying that I AM NOT TOTALLY FINE WITH GAY PEOPLE. THEY DISTURB ME. And then I get gang-raped by people who think they are being really tolerant and awesome by saying that I am a homophobe and pathetic etc. I know exactly what you think about me because I have a lot of empathy. Here you are defending gay people and thinking I'm some kind of conservative and ignorant moron. Well, it's not like that.
but your original post is fucking retarded. you say anything scientifically inacurate things piss you off, and go on to state something completely scientifically inaccurate i.e. gay people shouldn't have kids. there is no scientific evedence to support this, and quite frankly there's scientific evidence that says they should be allowed to adopt kids.
furthermore, freedom of speech works both ways. you are well within your right to hold the stupid, unsupported claim the gays "disturb you" because instead of putting their dicks in womans arses they put them in mens, and now everbody else is well within their right to call you hypocritic retard.

Char12

Sep 14, 2011
I heard someone say something along the line of muslims are all terrorists, makes me sad :(

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
toss up between little year 7 kid saying "respect your olders", and an american woman in the louvre, whilst talking about van gough's paintings, saying "they're very pretty but I wouldn't want one in my house". YES YOU FUCKING WOULD, IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING MASTERPIECE. and even if you didn't like astetichally (although you apparently do), then I'm fairly sure you'd impress your friends with your piece of art worth several million pounds.

also anything creationists say to justify themselves
... Actually I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a Van Gogh in my house either. Same thing goes for Picasso, Der Blaue Reiter, and most of the Dutch masters, to name just a few.
Being able to appreciate the influence something has had on art history does not automatically cause you to want to look at it every day.

Not that I'd decline somebody giving me a Van Gogh though, but that's another story.

badpun

Apr 4, 2010
This was a few years back in high school in some class i can't remember but we were dicussing about pandas and a girl said "why are we even talking about them aren't they extinct or something?"