What's the first class you usually play in RPGs.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Ranger the kind that can shoot bow and arrows, wields dual daggers and has basic magic knowledge.

E.g Skyrim.

I see a small force of bandits along the road coming my way. I put a floor rune on the ground and run into the bush. When they trigger the rune I ambush them with arrows. When there's like 2 left I take out my dual wielding daggers and finish them off. Sneaky is best because most of the time they are dead before they know I'm there.

Mass Effect: Infiltrator Tactical cloak and sniper all the way!

Dragon Age: Rogue TBH a bow hitting 150 damage per shoot is too overpowered in Dragon Age.

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
Some kind of magic user who can stand at a distance to do their thing. If it's multiplayer I heal not because I want to genuinely help people, but because I want to stand back and let some-one else take a beating all the while thinking to myself 'wouldn't it be a shame if that annoying tank/dps who won't shut up/keeps failing/persistently irritates didn't get healed when he needs it. So yeah I like playing a healer with an ego and looser morals based upon their own interpretations of people/situations (hence I don't like religious based healing classes in the slightest)

In a single player game I just play a glass cannon style mage, because I like being able to absolutely blitz something with huge burst damage before the enemy can even touch me

tvpirate

May 4, 2011
My natural first reaction whenever I pick up an RPG is one of two things:

1. "I want to deal as much damage as possible without worrying about dying." -With this I usually found myself playing the warrior/barbarian/soldier class but not main-tanking so that if the group all died, it wasn't my fault. I enjoy playing larger than life characters but I really dig not worrying about being the center of attention. The best experience I've ever had with this was playing a RAcast in PSO.

2. "Let's be as fast and as agile as possible." -Being able to jump around and deal crazy amounts of damage to whoever I like just feels good. For a long time I played a Half-Orc Monk in 4th edition where I literally jumped around and dealt crazy amounts of damage. My character didn't have a lot of health but because he was able to jump around so much, monsters and npcs never could target him. Not really an ideal choice for a boss battle but hey, still fun.

For some reason, I find myself really turned off by magic using classes. I think it has to do with the fact that a mana bar and typically light armor makes me feel limited as a player. One feature I really enjoy when it comes to playing an RPG is character creation/customization. I like my character to look like a badass so I feel like a badass even though I can't cast super fire balls from every orifice. There's something about being able to equip every armor and weapon available that having 10-20 different spells can't fulfill. There's probably some truth in there about why I was never good at PvP hah.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Warriors. Nothing teaches you more about what your victims can do than being a warrior class does.

Though i may invert that with Dragons Dogma, where i plan to play as a mage initially.

That Guy Ya Know

Forum Title:
Sep 9, 2009
I normally go for the minion based class which relies on summons to do it's killing, I just love it when I can essentially sit back and watch my minions do all the work for me. Failing that a squishy wizard.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Rogue.

I like being all sneaky and stabby in the shadows while I hunt for loot.

If I can use a ranged weapon like a bow like I could in Skyrim then I'm all good to go.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Three options:

1. In difficult games: whatever is the easiest to play so I can get a handle on how the game works, usually a warrior or something.
2. In games with boring/tedious combat: something stealthy so I can avoid encounters I don't want to get involved in.
3. In all other games: whatever looks the most fabulous, usually a pirate, dancer, or bard. I have to be the flamboyant center of attention, since I'm so shy in real life.

Then, if I like the game enough, I'll try to play one of everything after that.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
The Healer (Yes i know i could have said cleric, but i prefer to be more general as this is just a rpg not dnd) usually, why because (depending on the rpg of course) most npc healers are either trash, screw off at a very inopportune time, or just turn up about half way through the game.

Besides you always ALWAYS need someone who can heal at any time.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Whatever class has Summons/Minions so I can bury the enemy beneath waves of dudes. Failing this I prefer to go with a build that's good at survival.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Ranger in the fantasy-RPG setting cos there's a good balance of comabt skill set with other non-combat skills such as basic sneaking (not as advanced as rouges but better than a warrior's) and usually some healing (but not as good as a mage/healer class either).

In a more organic RPG such as Skyrim, however, I play with a bit of everything as there are more or less no predetermined class structre. This does lend to some indecision as to what to specialize in but in the end I went with "The most well-prepared adventurer" as my class. Knows how to use archery, how to sneak but still is able to tank out certain battles with sword and shield. Knows healing and other defensive spells and if that fails, a good knowledge of alchemy keeps my supply of potions up. Also carrying fully upgraded dragonscale armor that's personally enchanted.

So... I can be everything?

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
The spell slinger. Mage, wizard, sorcerer, whatever you want to call it. Because I enjoy making the laws of physics whimper in the corner.

Of course if the magic system is crappy, or it's one of those games where playing wizard means you are going to spend 90 hours dying until you level up enough... then rogue type character, preferably one focused on ranged weapons.

Sep 14, 2009
Shavon513 said:
Rogues, usually. I like something that can access the most amount of loot in games. A locked chest I can't access drives me nuts :p
this, and i love talking my way through all options in the game, getting anyone and everything to do what i want :D (note: some party members you have to do certain things or be a certain moral type without persuasive leaderness, so i go the latter route and become a walking ball of awesomeness)

plus i just love dual wielding short swords/axes/longswords

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
Usually start with a mage. Occasionally this won't be the case where it's impossible to be a mage from the get go or the magic system sucks in which case I go rogue.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Usually a mage, of sorts. Or a healer, if the game is balls-to-the-walls-hard.

I first played a mage in TES 1, 2, 3 and 4 (an archer in Skyrim), in Oblivion I did a lot of stealthy-ness and alot of magic. So, a steamage?

In Dragon Age: Origins, I played as a mage/warrior cross - alot of strength and intelligence, or whatever was used to calculate magic damage in that game.

The only time I never played in a mage in a major RPG I can think of is Quest For Glory 1. I had two characters, side-by-side, through the five-games, simealtaneously.

One was a fighter, turned-Palladin. One was a Mage. (No love for the theif)

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
I like to reach out and touch my enemies, so I'll usually play an archer/sniper/assasin type. I don't want to worry about them coming for me when I go stealth and pop them in the neck with a bolt.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I usually go for the duel wielder, usually the thief/rogue/assassin the fast sneaky bastard that can use to weapons at once, preferably dagger or katars ;)