What's the first class you usually play in RPGs.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I usually start as a magic oriented class but I like to have a few points in dexterity or whatever so I can dodge and use daggers in close quarters... Like a battle mage if you will...

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I will always always always play rogue first. Lock picking, thieving, sniping, thats why.

But in terms of play style, I will always be a very helpful thief. I'll find lost kittens or go out and kill x amounts of monter y, and I am actually loathe to pickpocket or steal from people. Even enemies.

That was one thing that so infuriated me about Dragon Age (the origins mainly, but also the DLC) how there were all these locked chests everywhere and unless you played a rogue, there was no way to access them. Almost like the game was forcing you into a class.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Normally a thief. Stealth has always been my thing. Always. If it's got stealth, I've got my eye on it.

Oddly enough I've never played an RPG that I've liked in the end. Ever.

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
A mage is usually the most complicated and fun class, so mage, preferably with minions/summons.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I always make a Warrior who uses heavy armour and a greatsword, because I love to just walk in, take little damage, and cut off heads, then I'll play a wizard because I love magic.

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
Mage or equivalent first, stabby Rogue or equivalent second, Warrior or equivalent third, and all ranged classes last (I am absolute shit with a bow).

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I have no usual, in WoW I opted for a Warrior, in Diablo 2 I went for the Necromancer, in Oblivion I went for Spellsword ( sword and magic combo) in Skyrim I made a melee Khajiit

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
Rogue or ranger, and evil if there is a moral choice system. Kill quietly from a distance and steal everything that isn't nailed down.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I like a mage/knight hybrid. I like the raw power and versatility of a mage, but I hate it when I'm vulnerable at close-range. The solution? Equip a sword to whack people upside the head for daring to get close to me! If I can enchant my blade so it draws from my magic stat, all the better!

For example, my favourite character in Tales of Graces is Richard. While his defences are a bit below average, he wields a rapier for rather speedy assault artes and has a surprisingly high physical attack stat. With his high magic, he can also use spells like Holy Lance and Shooting Stars, two of the most powerful spells in the game, and his accel mode halves his casting time in addition to the normal slight stat boosts that every character gets. Plus, his Soul Reaper spell leeches HP from his target. Now that's my kind of character!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
In RPGs that involve dialogue and multiple approaches to solving problems, I like to play rogues, since they usually have the necessary skills to approach situations in different ways - sneaking, talking, traps, etc - while mages and warriors just kill their way through.

In mostly combat-oriented, more linear RPGs, I like to play mages, because they blow stuff up in cool ways.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I always, always, always go for a warrior that uses two-handers first. There's just something so appealing to swinging a huge phallic objects crushing your enemies bones and leaving the in ashamed pieces.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I am the mage. Always the mage. Also, probably Ice if I have to be specialized.

The character will be slightly knight templar. Bad guys die unless they have any sort of redeeming qualities. Then I decide if they're okay to kill or not.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Well in games that allow for mixed classes (i.e. Skyrim), I normally go as a Mage-Thief. Sneaky sneaky with backstabs and crap, but if I get detected and forced into a fight I switch over to magic.

But just in general games (i.e. something like Dragon Age) I normally always go Mage first. Why? Mages are always the most overpower and my first playthrough is just to experience the story, so I want to literally blaze right through it. :p
Booyah. That shit's fun. For the extra challenge, never put a single levelup into health. That's what I did and the game turned out to be quite the difficult thing when faced with higher leveled enemies and no patience to wait for them to turn around.

Also, what you're talking about is Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LinearWarriorsQuadraticWizards]

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Fallout (from 1 to New Vegas and all in-between... minus the top-down shooter abomination): stealth and guns are my favorite for combat, though I tend to favor noncombat solutions or assassination... and I eschew armor if possible.

For the cookie-cutter fantasy stuff, I usually enjoy mage classes. Especially when blowing shit up, problem-solving utility, stealth magic and healing aren't mutually exclusive. I like making a jack-of-all-trades survivalist mage.

So yeah, I'm not usually fond of class systems, unless they're incredibly flexible.