What's the hardest boss fight that you've recently played?

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
this one isn't so much hard as it was ridiculous. Stubbs the Zombie fights his way through a police station to confront the police chief, who, instead of fighting, tries to defeat Stubbs via...

a Dance-Off! seriously, this has to be not the hardest but the most entertaining boss fight ever

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I fought Gwyn. Though I was using Black Iron set and a Black Knight Greataxe so he was kind of piss easy.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The Warrior in Borderlands 2 was pretty difficult.

I don't want to know how strong he is on True Vault hunter mode. ._.

Also, Yosuke on Score Attack mode in P4:Arena. The amount of speed and power he has is bullshit.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Innegativeion said:
Kingdom Hearts 1's Sephiroth battle, in my yes, has stood the test of time as the most difficult boss battle of any game I've played, and that includes numerous very challenging RPGs.

Damn is he a doozie. He can take you out in seconds even if you're of appropriate level to beat the game.

Regardless, there's a pattern to all of his moves and nothing he does is overtly unfair per se. You just need to keep your rhythm and a hell of a lot of good timing.

I found KH2's sephiroth to be slightly easier.
Oh fun times. Though he's also an excellently designed boss, I mean he is fucking hard, but he's not got any cheap moves that just have a chance to randomly kill ya, you just need to be quick on your reaction and individual skill. well and come with lots of Elixirs.

Actually for a game that seemed to be aimed at children, the Kingdom Hearts games have some ball bustingly hard bosses. Xaldin was fucking bullshit, those spears were just un-dodgable, Xigbar can go suck it, the final fight with Xemnas was bollocks on Hard mode, Sephiroth in KH 1+2.

Mind you, at this point I'd love to see a kid explain the plot of Kingdom Hearts, it's most definitely opted to move along with the people who started at KH, rather than attempt to maintain the same age group. Plus I'm pretty sure Walt Disney never envisioned Micky Mouse as a Ninja, fighting the shells of people who were devoured by dimensional horrors born out of the darkness in human hearts, at the event horizon of the apocalypse, alongside Christopher Lee who's playing the whole thing completely straight.

johnnyLupine said:
Omega from ffx, im currently leveling up as much as I can in the hopes that I might be able to defeat all of the dark aeons, if I manage that I might even give Penance a go.
Omega Weapon is no where near as bad as he used to be by far, so long as you've got a few celestial weapons it's pretty "easy" specially if you've got Anima. FF8 version was proper hard as nails. The Dark Aeons can go fuck off and die though, and Penance....Penance for me, really wasn't worth the effort, you need to max out the advanced sphere grid and it just takes. so. fucking. long. I swear Square just stuck him in to troll people, in which case I'll be damned if I'm taking it seriously, I'll just Zanmato the fucker and be done with it.

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
I had a sh*tload of trouble with the freakin Caprea Demon in Dark Souls, and he was a miniboss, I didn't have more trouble with anything else in the game besides that damn Capra Demon!

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:

Also, Yosuke on Score Attack mode in P4:Arena. The amount of speed and power he has is bullshit.
All you had to do was go behind the rocks in the back and shoot him, never died or had to use second wind at all. Altough my stupid turrent refused to attack him...

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The Towel Boy said:
neonsword13-ops said:

All you had to do was go behind the rocks in the back and shoot him, never died or had to use second wind at all. Altough my stupid turrent refused to attack him...
Well the thing is, I was playing with two of my friends who insisted that attacking it head-on was a good idea. Me being a Siren, I had to help them whenever they were in Second Wind. I would rez them countless times but when I was in Second Wind, they wouldn't help me at all. So I was left to die while The Warrior stomped on me continuously. :(

Maybe next time I'll try it alone, hiding behind the rocks.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Gitty101 said:
Gwyn Lord of Cinder, from Dark Souls. Pretty much battered my way through the rest of the bosses (4 Kings were pitifully easy for my build), but this guy really stood his ground. Took me a great number of tries before I finally got him.
This

Gwyn is a pain if you aren't:
Over-leveled
Build for magic damage
Have his parry timing down to the millisecond

Four Kings was a pain for me because I had a shitty build, and was only level 30 or 40 when I tried them the first time. I had like 20 Strength, Dexterity and Endurance, 25 Vitality, and everything else was at starting level. I came back around level 70 and destroyed them. I put on my heaviest "You can still quick-roll gear", two handed my Uchigatana and wailed on them. I ended up killing each king with about 5 or 6 seconds before the next one came out.

I was able to kill Smough and Ornstein without too much trouble, though I did summon Brolaire to help me.

So far (I might get the DLC), Gwyn was the only boss that made me level past the "preferred" level of 120-125.

Capra Demon only gave me trouble if I didn't level up my shield a bit. Once I had enough stability to not be one-shot but his leap, he was cake.

Captcha: Broken Record
Have I really been going on about Dark Souls that much?

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
Holly Summers on Bitter during my Blood Berry/No Charged Attacks/No Pickups run. One-two hours every day for about two weeks until I even got close to killing her.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
The last boss that really pushed me to the limit was Rafflesia in my tryout of Final Fantasy 12. While most of this game's bosses don't seem TOO overwhelming, occasionally you get one like the Elder Wyrm who can inflict debilitating status effects on all 3 of your party members at once. In this case, Confusion, Blind, Sap (like posion but worse) and Disease (damage you take decreases your maximum by the same amount). Confusion is very bad because you're going to be using your strongest physical fighters who can take each other down in 2 hits. Why? See below.

What makes this crazy plant creature even worse than the average status-effect fiend is that he's accompanied by a special field that drains your MP fast enough that after the first 10 seconds of combat everyone will be at 0. In other words, no Spells of any kind, no Quickenings (aka Limit Breaks), no Summons. Even constantly spamming Hi-Potions is risky since he does more than 700 per hit without Protect. Oh, and he occasionally spawns Malboros who can pile on even more status effects if you don't kill them fast. AND he casts Regen on himself around the halfway mark, which of course you cannot Dispel. Thankfully, elemental weapons can still hit his weakness, and he can be Slowed. All the same, I was down to my two least-developed characters by the time I finally whacked that damn weed. None of the Espers so far have compared.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Spydercake said:
Persona 3, Nyx Avatar on Maniac.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...
The Nyx Avatar PERIOD. I still haven't beaten that guy. Of course it's been a while since I even bothered to try. But damn it, that guy's a ***** esp. when you get him down to his last millimeter of health only to have him stomp you flat. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
the fiend king from ninja gaiden black the one that kills you in the beginning.he was fucking hard.

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Kingdom Hearts 1's Sephiroth battle, in my yes, has stood the test of time as the most difficult boss battle of any game I've played, and that includes numerous very challenging RPGs.

Damn is he a doozie. He can take you out in seconds even if you're of appropriate level to beat the game.

Regardless, there's a pattern to all of his moves and nothing he does is overtly unfair per se. You just need to keep your rhythm and a hell of a lot of good timing.

I found KH2's sephiroth to be slightly easier.
Try ORIGINAL (NES only) Final Fantasy's boss Chaos at max level (50). The bastard levels with you and can own your group in TWO ROUNDS. Warmech is a close second in that game as a random mini-boss.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
The first boss of Super Meat Boy. I know I know, it's the first boss, but cut me some slack. I'm already not very good at the game and I'm on a keyboard, so it's already harder.

Also, the first boss of Deus Ex Human Revolution was really hard for me because I had a stealth/nonlethal equipment set. Now I carry a machine pistol with me at all times.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Odin Sphere; any boss. Seriously! This is one of the reasons why I don't wanna play the game anymore. Beautiful graphics, great music, good plot, enjoyable voice acting...and still, the gameplay kills me! You often face enemies that, while they might not be more powerful than you, their attacks have priority over your combos so if you're doing a combo, 1. You can't stop and 2. You're screwed if an enemy decides to attack you halfway through.

Oh, and it's not just boss battles! It's any enemy, even the lame ones! Oh, and there's no grinding in this game. Oh, and if you go to a stage unprepared, well, too bad! Sucks for you because you can't go back and prepare yourself properly, even if you die!

The best "strategy" is: Hit, run, hide, heal, go back and repeat the same process. Really, that's how you win battles. I don't know; it might be just me playing the game wrong...somehow. But there's a difference between a challenging game and an unfair game. if you ask me, Odin Sphere is the latter. It's really a shame.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The last boss I defeated was this guy.

Before him the hardest boss I remember beating was Vlad in Iron Brigade. But then again once you know how to play the game (and get some of the better weapons) it's easy as hell to kick his ass, even by yourself.

Kaamos

Oct 2, 2012
Recently? Juppongi from Code of Princess. I kept getting stunlocked and tossed between him and his mooks until I died. And I couldn't get a lock on him because he always had like 2 or 3 guys standing on him, but when I finally did I used burst and tore him to shreds in one combo.

Of all time? Uhh too many to pick just one.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Vlitra Core in Asuras Wrath seriously wtf its not that hard now I know what to watch for and when to attack but seriously I had no idea how to effectively harm this thing for ages must have taken me about 10 restarts each time I would get close and then it would just tear me a new one. It must have taken me an hour of trying to get an effective tactic going against this mofo and then the next hidden chapter makes me face him again just for a sligtly different (but awesome) episode end luckily it went down a lot easier this time although it still killed me once.