What's the Quickest You've Ever Given Up on a Game?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Pyrian said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I felt the same about the horribly unintuitive (especially for a PC game) aiming mechanic, until I realized that enemies are really easy to exploit and outright avoid if needed.
Deus Ex 1 is really hard to get into... But even in my first playthrough I quickly realized that the enemies are blind as bats, but without bat's good hearing. Dunno what's up with Generalissimo.
I'd say the enemies are a bit unpredictable. Sometimes they're blind as bats and other times they come running right at you from across the room when you think you're perfectly concealed in the darkness. I made the mistake of trying to go for 0 kills on my first playthrough. Lots of loading took place. If anything, it helps that running away and trying again is an option when you're spotted.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Witcher
An original(?) rpg game praised to the heavens? Without DRM? Everything sounded amazing. Never heard a single complaint really. Odd.
I did not enjoy choosing between a clunky isometric view or a skewed third person (over-the-shoulder) view. New, exciting, original is not always good. Tried and true is so for a reason. I've always wondered if they changed it in the sequels..I don't dare try it and no review or gamer ever really touch upon such "trivial" things such as viewpoint and game-play/mechanics when describing a game. The combat wasn't all that either..

No complaints at all? Wow. I've finished and enjoyed all three of the games, but I expected even the fans to be aware of the numerous problems The Witcher has. It's a game you can appreciate and enjoy despite its faults at best.
I did hear some complaints..In-between Witcher 2 and 3 came out. Too late for me though. ,)
So..if you've played all three..could you tell me if that skewed over-the-shoulder perspective persists in 2 and/or 3?
I've heard that the combat is better at least. 3 with fluff sounds really good..But I wont be fooled again!! hahaha!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Pyrian said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Generalissimo said:
The original Deus Ex

...clairvoyant enemies that could detect me from around corners and in cover no matter how well I hid and tried to stealth.
I felt the same about the horribly unintuitive (especially for a PC game) aiming mechanic, until I realized that enemies are really easy to exploit and outright avoid if needed.
Deus Ex 1 is really hard to get into... But even in my first playthrough I quickly realized that the enemies are blind as bats, but without bat's good hearing. Dunno what's up with Generalissimo.

Maybe he played on "Realistic" (loosely described at best) difficulty or something, which one should never do for an unfamiliar game in the first place.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I must have given Wii Sports Club...less than 25 minutes. That game features five mini-games (fewer than Wii Sports Resort, one more than Wii Sports) and I remember strongly disliking all but bowling. I waited until the game was launched as a physical disc before I bought into it because the pre-disc sales method seemed weird to me and I didn't want to bother with it. What I got in the package was an awful variation of the usually excellent Wii Sports Golf with no way to play in the old way, decent Boxing, Tennis and, Baseball done better in Resort, and Bowling that would have been better if Mario Party 9 and the abysmal Game & Wario didn't already offer much more entertaining variations of the same general thing. Wii Sports Club was so bad that I traded it in. It was the first game I'd traded in since Bush Jr. was in office. I had sworn off of trading in because I wanted to amass a collection but this is just one game that I want nothing to do with.

In hindsight, I think I made a mistake trading it in considering how expensive it's become...oh well.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I did hear some complaints..In-between Witcher 2 and 3 came out. Too late for me though. ,)
So..if you've played all three..could you tell me if that skewed over-the-shoulder perspective persists in 2 and/or 3?
I've heard that the combat is better at least. 3 with fluff sounds really good..But I wont be fooled again!! hahaha!
The Witcher 1 was made on the same engine Neverwinter Nights was, the sequels don't have the same isometric feel.

But I'm sure you can check plenty of gameplay videos of them to see if it's your thing.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I think metroid prime.

Samus has the mobility of a sunk submarine and the controls were amateurish beyond belief. I quit when I realised there actually wasn't a decent way to look up or to turn. The whole game could only be controlled with the auto-aim system. In an exploration based shooter.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Fallout: New Vegas.

I like Bethesda games, and I heard that this one had an amazing story and that it was gonna knock my socks right off.

I played for about 3 hours before I just stopped. I mainly faffed about, like any normal game from them, but I got bored. It was the environment that did absolutely nothing for me. Mainly because I live in the desert and I don't find the desert all that interesting.

Kinda defeats the purpose in exploring a game's setting and seeing what goes on in the story when I don't care about it enough to wander around, really.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
sageoftruth said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Witcher
An original(?) rpg game praised to the heavens? Without DRM? Everything sounded amazing. Never heard a single complaint really. Odd.
I did not enjoy choosing between a clunky isometric view or a skewed third person (over-the-shoulder) view. New, exciting, original is not always good. Tried and true is so for a reason. I've always wondered if they changed it in the sequels..I don't dare try it and no review or gamer ever really touch upon such "trivial" things such as viewpoint and game-play/mechanics when describing a game. The combat wasn't all that either..

No complaints at all? Wow. I've finished and enjoyed all three of the games, but I expected even the fans to be aware of the numerous problems The Witcher has. It's a game you can appreciate and enjoy despite its faults at best.
They seem to back up the camera further with each sequel. You can actually see Geralt's entire body this time. Witcher 2's camera is like a zoomed in Dark Souls and Witcher 3's camera is like Dark Souls.

The combat is also far more skill-based than the original Witcher, where winning pretty much came down to preparation, stats and your ability to play a simple minigame. Still, Witcher 2's combat has some flaws, like no lock-on, so you turn your back to your foe whenever you retreat, and you take double damage to all hits to your back. Put those two together and it means dying a lot from blows to the back. Thankfully, they fixed that in 3.

If you trust Super Bunnyhop's opinions, he's covered all three games pretty thoroughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohodiFCOTU&list=PLGh7RPOUkOZo2g_Npy2mK6BswzxRrQzco

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Rayman Origins.

I played the first stage, realized I was bored of platformers, and uninstalled it from my Vita. Never looked back.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Imre Csete said:
sageoftruth said:
Thanks for the help!
I can't watch anymore videos this month though thanks to a soft bandwidth cap of 20gb and 25kb/s after that.
I also haven't played Dark Souls or really any (popular) AAA game in the last 10 years, barring some exceptions.
Not a fan of the direction most (popular) games have taken. Or steam...
Couldn't you just..tell me? Does the camera still hover more over one shoulder than the other?

Oh, and so as to not derail this thread too much (Apologies Maninahat!), maybe send me a private message?
Thanks again. ^^

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Imre Csete said:
sageoftruth said:
Thanks for the help!
I can't watch anymore videos this month though thanks to a soft bandwidth cap of 20gb and 25kb/s after that.
I also haven't played Dark Souls or really any (popular) AAA game in the last 10 years, barring some exceptions.
Not a fan of the direction most (popular) games have taken. Or steam...
Couldn't you just..tell me? Does the camera still hover more over one shoulder than the other?

Oh, and so as to not derail this thread too much (Apologies Maninahat!), maybe send me a private message?
Thanks again. ^^
Basically, Geralt is in the center, and you can see his entire body. The camera is far more zoomed out too, so it's no longer over the shoulder, just basic behind-the-back 3rd person. I probably should have said that from the start. It was easier to explain than I thought.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot to make this private. Sorry. I think I skimmed this too quickly. You were right to suggest it.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
THM said:
The original Borderlands, after about 30 minutes - and then several months later I went back and played the hell out of it. I just didn't understand how the RPG elements had been used; I just wanted a shooter with choosable difficulty levels. Once I did get it, though, I loved it.
I had a similar experience. In my mind, I remember hating it, then I tried it again about a year later and was so confused as to why I didn't like it the first time.

Fastest time giving up on a game was definitely Dark Souls. I got out of the Undead Asylum in about 20 minutes (sheer luck), ran into the graveyard near Firelink, got rekt by a pair of skeletons, and decided it wasn't worth it. Came back six months later and really loved it. Except the Painted World. Fuck that place.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Street Fighter V.

I did pick it back up to show my brother how bad it was. Didnt take him long to agree.

Why did they decide now of all times to mess with how the game plays? Seems like if you play as anyone but Ryu they fucked up the characters, or atleast all the ones my brother and I like. RIP Vega.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
pookie101 said:
tales of zestria.. 4 minutes.. i won is from a steam group and i dont like jrpgs.. wish you could re-gift things
I doubt many would want it. As a massive fan of the Tales series I have to say that game is the worst piece of crap they ever made...I'd say don't judge the series on that game but if you don't like JRPGs anyway just know you are missing nothing with that one!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Amnesia: dark decent. About 20 minutes. I wasn't even actually playing it, just watching my brother. We never got to the point you had to actually deal with the monster, just the jump scare where he's made of ash. My leg shot out so fast I pulled my quad. Nope. No more horror games ever

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
God of War 2

In the first God of War Kratos got sent to kill a god who broke the rules and the gods gave him his place. What does Kratos first do in the second game? To break the same rules!

It disappointed me enough to not even care to reach the first boss.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Elite Dangerous.
Sure, the game looks nice, and I like the concept, but the lack of a demo made me a bit wary, and then when I bought it, dear god, the controls...
Yeah, no, I got a refund. Steam says I have "0.7 hours played". I think most of it was trying to get the damn thing to work. I'd say it was a waste of money, but as I said, got a refund, so it was just a waste of time I'll never be able to get back to waste on something else.
Though, that's just the most recent one I can clearly remember. I think I got Dead or Alive 4 or something like that for the 360, and got bored after one match. Dead or Alive 2 really held my attention, but whatever the one I got for 360 was, it just couldn't hold a candle to 2.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Dark Souls 2 I was checked out of as soon as there were a group of witches talking about how clever Dark Souls is.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The Swindle.
I really really wanted to like the game, it really felt like it was a game right up my alley.
But the controls are utter trash. I died more often from falling off walls and other random crap than the actual enemies. The final straw was when I noticed that the game was subtracting time from my counter when I'd save and quit. I played it for a total of like 2 hours in 20 minute chunks and every time I quit the game would penalize me.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
There was a Tenchu game on the wii which replaced the stealthy coolness and silent ninjaing around with prolonged fighting and shoehorned motion controls that didn't even work that well. It was an abomination and a disgrace to a great series.