What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I am 28.

And I'm concerned about a lot of things as of late. Considering I'm going back to school, and moving on to graduate school in the fall I'm wondering if I'm even doing the right thing. I've been doing a lot of life changing things and I'm worried that it will all go to shit, but I'm thinking that those fears are unjustified since things have been going smoothly. Then there are the concerns afterwards and wondering if I can get the job I want to get afterwards. I'm not making a major career change, but still.

There's also a bunch of little things that are there needling me in the back of my mind that I'm not gonna bore you people with.

Iwantstuff

Jun 20, 2013
22, almost 23, and honestly my parents. Both of them are in pretty bad health and my Dad can't work anymore, so about a year ago I moved back in to help.

I don't even have an Associates degree yet (almost done, just didn't quite get the opportunity to finish) but frankly I'm not worried about college at all. I've moved around too much in the past four years to have had much opportunity. Right now it's just get a stable job (which I was just hired, so WOOHOO) and get out on my own after the parents have stabilized and start school back up.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im 37 and god do i feel old compared to the people on this thread. My life took a down turn in 2010, was made redundant from Metropolitan police in London. Since then just been doing courses and temp work, been volunteering for 9 months as an accountant. Just looking for a permanent job so I can get my life moving forward instead of being frozen for 4 years.

All you young people, which seems to be everyone on this thread, time is nothing, dont waste a single year. Always look to the future whether a new job or extra education. If anything, get all your education while your in your early 20's. Because when you make mistakes or take life for granted, thats when you regret everything you didnt do.

pvaglueman123

Aug 6, 2009
i'm 18, coming on 19 in about 3 months (Wow, that's scary to think about D:)

Currently most concerned in getting through this Games Design Course without failing. Failure's my biggest vice. doesn't help i'm my own biggest critic either

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
midish 30's
currently staring at the huge stack of cash i have accumulated from working like a dog all my life and worried however i use it, whether investing it to make a larger stack or blowing it on cool shit i have deprived myself of in the name of responsibility it may not ever make me happy.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I'm 20. Worried about getting a job (interview tomorrow) and keeping it long enough to save enough cash for hobbies, a car, and enough cash to pay for a couple months of rent for my own place.

I'm also worrying about whether I'll ever finish a piece of writing without being so nervous about criticism over it that I toss out 200+ pages for the 9th time in my life.

Everyone around my age seems to be either in some sort of college or further education, or graduating from it. I didn't get around to doing that myself because I was afraid I wouldn't have the patience. I barely made it through high school without getting fed up with all the absolute, inexcusable bullshit. Not sure if I could go another round of that, even if the people this time around would be "older".

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
23 and currently starting up my own game development studio, we've released a game and working on a bigger project, but it's not easy to sell your shit if your not Notch or spinning on nostalgia. But more or less I don't have any confidence in anything I do as time wares on, even when it starts bleeding into abilities that I used to be brimming with confidence in.

More or less I'm not earning anything, I don't feel like a functioning adult, everything I've invested my life doing feels for naught and my wildest hopes and aspirations feel like unaccomplishable dreams.

So I can't complain.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
pvaglueman123 said:
i'm 18, coming on 19 in about 3 months (Wow, that's scary to think about D:)

Currently most concerned in getting through this Games Design Course without failing. Failure's my biggest vice. doesn't help i'm my own biggest critic either
19, your young and have other options if things change. If game design is what you want to do....go for it. Dont let anything in your life hold you back. Better wasting a few years studying, working hard (no partying) and getting to where you want to be than being 29 and regretting the previous 10 years. My brother is 16 and i say the same thing to him, he wants to get into computing, I saw work your arse off because 10 years goes really quick. I made the wrong choice when i was your age and i regret it. Good luck and maybe i will get to play your game in a few years. :)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
lechat said:
midish 30's
currently staring at the huge stack of cash i have accumulated from working like a dog all my life and worried however i use it, whether investing it to make a larger stack or blowing it on cool shit i have deprived myself of in the name of responsibility it may not ever make me happy.
So is that 30 ish older than 37? Im opposite of you, have zero money and volunteering in the hope it leads to a perm job. Sounds like you worked hard for your money, i would say blow half of it (or less), save the rest. Never know what the future holds. Life is meant to be fun, though not at the expense of your future.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Concerned with Graduation, finding a Job post graduating from college, which is hard since I have been taking classes more geared towards things involved with game design when choices were available and most job offering the school's career interview setup/help service seem to be geared elsewhere, and I don't currently have any outside of class projects to really impress much on a resume.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
19 years old here. At the moment I'm most concerned with the fact that I have to keep a certain GPA to keep my college scholarship. My first semester of college last year was kind of rough, but I still managed a 3.3 somehow, which was enough to not put me on any sort of academic probation with the university.

I was certainly happy I was able to keep my GPA at that level, but it's still kind of an issue at this point since there are a few classes I'm taking now that I'm definitely not sure about grade-wise.

I am thinking about internships as a journalism major, but since I'm only a freshman, I do have a little while on that front.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
19, basically. College student, like many in this topic, aaand... yeah, concerned about my future career (Or lack thereof) at the moment. I've basically got no idea what I'm gonna do, so I'm in Undecided, but because I've already gotten all my core credits out the way, I have to choose a Major by the end of the semester, or I'll just be languishing in school, taking classes I probably won't need as I try to find something that suits me.

Alright, well, I know what I want to do, but there's the question of "Is that obtainable?" and if it's not, then "What will you do if you fail?" Basically, I want to be a writer, for basically anything. Scripts, novels, comics. But, that's not exactly a stable career, much less one I want to waste time and money getting a college degree for, only to end up a fry cook or a teacher. Worse still, the support group that kept my going with my writing is gone, so I've been feeling rather... distant from my usual creativity, without them to keep my spirits up and to bounce ideas off of, so I'm in a bit of a rut with my writing, too. I've been toying with investigating other forms of entertainment - animation, film, game design - but I'm not sure I'm qualified for any of those fields, or that I'll enjoy them, or that I'll be able to acquire the necessary skills in time so that I don't get left behind, capability-wise.

All I know is I want a career with a great creative outlet, but unfortunately, those are some of the most competitive and unstable. So I'm kind of drifting, hoping for some sort of divine inspiration.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
29, and mostly worried about a few health issues. I have inflamed mucosal lining in my large intestine which is bad enough, but I also have sciatica(compressed/irritated nerve) around the same area and the two combined often makes me writhing in pain. It's pretty much a chronic condition but when it flares it's particularly bad(I'm pretty much bound to a bathroom then). I always try and stay positive but I often wonder...if I have to live with this curse forever. Sometimes I'm also afraid if I'm misdiagnosed(though suffering from this condition for over 17 years and having seen various gastro-enterologists) and that this is a precursor to something much more serious. A terrifying thought I try not to think about too much.

However(more or less out of necessity) I started a company which over the years became a huge success. So I guess there's that. I also like to say that this condition doesn't hinder me with dating and such, but the truth is that it does. Chronic pain just kills the mood. It makes the 'good days' much more sweet though. :p

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
28. Worried that I've wasted my life, or at least the years where I should have done something. Graduated from college, but I didn't do anything while I was there. Didn't try different things, didn't do internships, didn't do anything that most college people seem to do. Didn't even find a girlfriend. I went to school, studied, passed all my classes, and when I graduated, I went, "Well...now what am I supposed to do?" I'm an English major, and I don't want to be a teacher, so...yeah. Worried about my life in general.
That, and the situation that is happening with Ukraine and Russia, and how the rest of the world did absolutely jack about it.
Ukraine and Russia will sort itself out. What about you? Your 28, you realise you wasted your life (i would say lived) either way now you can make a change. What do you want to do? What do you want to be? How do you get there? Life is never to short, you can redo it all now. Past is the past, look to the future.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Headsprouter said:
I'm 19, existential crisis all over the place. Scared of the future. Being lonely, being overcrowded, never being able to express myself, growing old. I feel so vain for placing self-expression on that list, but god, it just seems to matter to me so much, and it drives me insane seeing people with fantastic talents and a great life on top of them. I know it's really scummy, but...well, I don't really know how I can excuse it. It's not hatred, mind you it's just a sort of jealousy mixed with admiration that results in frustration thanks to my overall lack of self-worth.

Summation of my rambling: 19, concerned with life in general. Not going anywhere at the current rate, feeling broken for being unable(????) to do anything about it.
Kind of in this position. At least, the closest I've seen on here so far.

21 on the 21st of April.
My biggest concern is getting a license and a job. I don't care if it's gas station clerk, in fact, I might enjoy that. But I have an anxiety disorder and bipolar disorder and right now I'm going through the disillusion stage of life where your rose colored lens' are shattered. I live on my own, but taking the bus anywhere is scary to me.

Second biggest concern would be not being able to get married and keep a wife due to a size issue. It's basically next to useless, and in the long run I don't see that working out.

The most important thing I think I've learned so far is wisdom is mostly pain and philosophical thinking leads to suffering and wasted energy. But hopefully I can grab a summer job or at least my licence this year. I don't know what good it would do me, PLPD insurance would still be pretty high, and gas is 3.5-4 dollars a gallon so I couldn't handle a car without a job anyway.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009

Currently working on not worrying so much. Already spent a good deal of my life obsessing about school and people and love and self-image and every other stupid thing in the book. And it never gave me anything besides a bucketload of heartache and probably a slightly higher blood pressure. I'm done worrying. Slow process, but I'm getting there - after a few weeks I'm already way more relaxed and clear-headed than I've been in a long, long time.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
24 years old and I'm most concerned about the fact that I'll probably have to kill myself soon.
I'm not trying to attention whore, and I'm not suicidal, but I'm fucking 24 and have never worked a day in my life. Still live at home and while I'm not exactly a burden to my mom I feel beyond pathetic.
Applied for tons of jobs, but only had three interviews so far. Two turned me down, one is still undecided, and they always get stuck up on the fact that I haven't worked before. Had to cure myself of social phobia, get my drivers license and get back into shape from four years of sitting on my ass before I could start looking for work. It took way longer than expected.

Even if I had experience it would be close to impossible. At the moment the work market is extremely competative. If there is a job they tend to have insane demands because of this. Tried looking for simple shit like forest clearer(like lumber jacks, but for sissies I guess) and you needed a college education in forest care(WTF?!) and a fucking license to use a wood cutter... as well as experience of course.