What's your Favorite book series.

PiOfCube

Jan 26, 2011
Quite a few books I like has already been mentioned but one of my favourites is Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle" series and "Cryptonomicon".

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
A Song of Ice and Fire.Roll on July 12th

Byere said:
OT: Gotta be The Belgariad/Mallorean and it's extras, but David & Leigh Eddings. I nicknamed them "The Belgarath Sagas" for simplicity's sake.
Then again, almost all of David & Leigh Eddings' work is awesome in my eyes.
Loved most of Eddings work as well but I was very disappointed with "The Dreamers".Had one of the worst endings to a series I've ever read

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Favourite:- Steven Erikson's Tale of the Malazan Fallen, I have read and re-read these so many times its untrue, brilliant characters, brilliant worl, brilliant story.

Honourable Mentions:

The Forever War saga by Joe Haldeman
The Takeshi Kovach's trilogy by Richard Morgan
The Runelords by David Farland
The Recluse saga by L.E Moddeset Jn (I butchered the spelling there)

The rest have been mentioned above, SoIaF, The Eddings books (first books I ever read when I was a kid, not literally ofc, you know what I mean), Riftwar saga. In fact a scary amount of the books mentioned I have on my shelves.
The only one I havent read past the first few books was Jordans WoT series, it just bored the piss out of me.

These days I tend to be about the sci-fi a little more than fantasy, some really good stuff out there. ^^

Edit: Oh Oh Oh, and the Robin Hobb books! Thanks for reminding me of them whoever it was, they are due a re-read!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The Dark Tower series by good ol' King, I didn't think I'd like it since it has some western themes in it and I'm not a huge fan of that, but I loved that series.

The Hunger Games was pretty awesome too.

Hlain

Sep 26, 2009
Wheel of Time!

Places two and three go to Robin Hobb's books in the elderling realm, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
*Peeks over flame shield*
.>
<.<
*lowers flame shield*
The Inheritance Cycle and Dexter Series
*Quickly raises flame shield again*

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
The Saga of Recluce by L.E.M., Jr.
Probably the most expansive mythos of the 90s onward. I still haven't gotten through the whole thing.

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
I've found the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust and Carol Berg's Lighthouse books to be some of the best I've read. Other series that I've liked are Robin Hobb's two assassin series, Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy and King's Dark Tower series (currently on book 4).

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
In no praticular order
Dune series by Frank Herbert
Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Hainish series by Ursula K. Le Guin

Elijah Ball

Jan 29, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Series? I still vote Artemis Fowl, it's a great series for all ages.
I agree with you up to a point. the first 5 were and still are some of the best books I have ever read but I have been disappointed with the last few. especially the last one, the Atlantis complex.
Yeah, I really didn't like the last one.

*Spoilers Below*

*Spoilers Below*

*Spoilers Below*

He didn't defeat the evil genius. He outsmarted a dumb minion. It's more "realistic" but makes for a less enjoyable read.

Elijah Ball

Jan 29, 2011
My favorite series is the Inheritance series. (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and soon to be Inheritance)

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Series of books (with a few exceptions) are merely paperback soap-operas for the terminally unimaginative. By far the all best books I've read have been stand-alones. Can't think of many sequels that have got pullitzers or nobels either.

Having said that, if I had to vote for my favourite book series, I'd probably go with Joe Haldeman's Peace and War trilogy. The second two are hardly essential reading but the first is amazing... probably because it wasn't written with the idea of sequels in mind.

PiOfCube

Jan 26, 2011
Other books I found to be a good read (in no particular order):

Tom Clancy Ryanverse series,
Dune,
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and most of his other stuff,
Bill Bryson's humorous books,
Patricia Cornwell's "Kay Scarpetta" series,
Philip K. Dick's books are funny,
R. A. Salvatore's series,
I liked Time's Eye: Time Odyssey, Book 1 by Arthur C. Clarke but found the others in the series a bit lacking compared to the first one.
Orson Scott Card does some good stuff also,
Isaac Asimov's Robot series,
Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer...

Many more in my Audible library but I would probably bore you... *prods* hey wake up! ;-)