What's your name's origin?

MOXron

May 10, 2011
My name- Brett means that I'm a Breton. Plain and simple. My parents only chose it because it's different, and easy to pronounce. Nothing more to see here, folks.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Aston means East Town. That's why it's a district of England, and not usually a name (though Austin and Ashton are, and probably come from the same word). I was named after Aston Martin (the pride of English automobiles), but my dad tries to deny this now, unsuccessfully. He says now I was named after a place, thinking that the car was named after the place so it's indirectly true, but the car isn't named after a place, it's named after a three-legged-race the founders had competed in. English people also ask if my parents were football fan's (there's a team called Aston Villa).

Bill Clinton's estate is the namesake of Aston Clinton, and Ozzy Osbourne is from Aston. I've only met one other person with the first name Aston, that was in Heathrow airport tube station, just after I got off train carriage 666.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
My first name, Nicholas, is Greek and it means "peoples victory".

The only info I can get from my surname, Cooley, is that it's of Irish origin and from web trawling means anything between "Hound of Ulster", "cow meadow", "coaly, dark skinned or dark haired" and "servant of St. Mochuille". Although since I'm pale-ish and fair haired the third one is pretty off.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I think I was named after a baseball player which is weird because I figured my name was because I was Irish, it's Brendan, by the way, no clue why I was given my middle name, Shane...

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
First name: Matthew, means 'Gift of God.' Mom always said that I was her Christmas present.
Second name (first middle name): Alan, named for my Uncle I think.
Third name (second middle name: Thomas, named for my father and grandfather.
I'm a Matthew too. Except the Slavic version, Matija, which is, curiously, a unisex name over here. I know of a few "female Matthews", though the practice would probably be considered bizarre hippie-naming in the English-speaking world.

It's also a bit inappropriate for me since neither me nor any of my folks are religious. My parents told me they simply flipped through a phonebook and chose what sounded best.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
My First name comes from The roman god of war mars, and means 'Warlike' and my second name comes from the Norse god Thor, and essentially means 'thunder'.

So, my name is 'Warlike Thunder'

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm named for both of my grandfathers. My first name is my father's father's birth name, though he much preferred his nickname. My middle name is my mother's father's handle.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Storm Shaun...pretty simple.

I really like the element of lightning and thunder, it just intrigues me.

Plus my first name and you have it. xD

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
My name is from the old Hebrew, it means "God is my judge". It was chosen directly out of the Bible.

German Borbon

May 18, 2011
my name is for my uncle

my name (herman)comes from latin and it means the fighter
my second name that comes from my father, is henry and it means the man of the house

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
I have no idea why my parents named me Davíð. It means "king" and "the loved one" though, so yay!

EDIT: Captcha: 'tyabin was'. Was what? WAS WHAT!?

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Jordan: It comes from Aramaic. It means "One who descends."
It's too bad I never finished Amnesia.

Michael: Hebrew, meaning "Who is like god?" (Yes, my middle name is a question)
Are we playing jeopardy now?

Culver: An uncommon english term for a pigeon or a dove. That's all wiki says.
...Well... I am a dove in descent and like a god. ...Fuck it, why not.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
I was named Elizabeth after a relative, I think. It's a boring name that means "oath to god" or something and has a shit ton of nicknames. Sometimes I'd rather go by my middle name, Faye, because it makes me think of cool stuff like fairies and Faye Valentine and it's not nearly as common as Elizabeth. Alas, I fear change and I will never be as cool as Faye Valentine.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
First Name Timothy (from bible)
middle name Also from bible not telling what it is tho
Last name Vinson. Apparently a french/latin contraction meaning the "Sound ("son" like in sonar) of Wine (Vin = Vine = Wine) apparently i'm decsended from french wine makers...

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Daniel
Daniel is a Hebrew masculine given name and a surname. It means, "God is my judge",and derives from two early Biblical figures, primary among them the Prophet Daniel.

Funny thing is i don't believe in God. Hah.

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
I was named after Jacob from the bible. Also, because my three other brothers have names that start with the letter "J".

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Going down the line, I was ultimately named after my great grandfather (I'm technically "the fourth"), which is odd because I'm the younger of my parents' two sons.