What's your name's origin?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Seneschal said:
canadamus_prime said:
First name: Matthew, means 'Gift of God.' Mom always said that I was her Christmas present.
Second name (first middle name): Alan, named for my Uncle I think.
Third name (second middle name: Thomas, named for my father and grandfather.
I'm a Matthew too. Except the Slavic version, Matija, which is, curiously, a unisex name over here. I know of a few "female Matthews", though the practice would probably be considered bizarre hippie-naming in the English-speaking world.

It's also a bit inappropriate for me since neither me nor any of my folks are religious. My parents told me they simply flipped through a phonebook and chose what sounded best.
Yeah it doesn't exactly work for me either since I'm an atheist, but I wasn't always so. I had a crisis of faith a number of years back and have since turned my back on God, religion, and all that nonsense stuff.

In any event, I never heard of Matthew being used as a woman's name so yeah I guess that would be pretty strange.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
Zachary- Hebrew, means 'The Lord Remembers'
Duane- Gaelic, means dark, or swarthy
Ortmann- Could have a couple, but I'm not 100% on any:
[sub]1st: Ort = Town, Mann = man,so Townman.
2nd: Someone who lives in an ort(Settlement on top of a hill, or a walled area/defensive fortress)
3rd: A Soldier who carries and ort(in this case being a spear of lance)[/sub]
Correct me if you know any for sure, 'cause I'm relying mostly on the internet for this info.

minka1995

Jan 6, 2011
My name is Madeleine meaning "from Magdala". Essentially its derived from the name Mary Magdalene. Explains why I was always chosen to play her in R.E. at primary school.
My last name is an occupational surname meaning "shaper of wood".

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
It's some poetic nonsense, though the reason I have it is because my mom wanted to name me something else, but my grandmother wouldn't have it, so I got this one in order to have the other as a nickname, oddly enough the nickname was never even used.

<.>

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Death God said:
Yeah, I guess "drake" is more common with male duck most people from where I'm from only think of it as draconic so I'm cool with it.
Even better if you play MtG! The drakes from a lot of the older sets have awesome artwork! :)

Basically wyverns (which is a derivation of the old European word for dragon 'wyrm').

Anyway, interesting point being the prevalence of typically Biblical names in a predominantly atheist community... -_-

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen

Mine however, is spelt: Steven.

Seems to represent wreaths, crowns, honour and rewards.

I've never liked the name, it just doesn't roll off my tongue easily.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Martin, which I think is Latin for "Dedicated to Mars", or if you want to be fancy about it, "Dedicated to The God of War". Which is funny, seeing as how I am a chill dude with little to no aggressions for anyone.

Except for communists.. Smelly, dirty, red scum, I HATE EM I HATE EM

Nah, not really. I just wanted a reason to post that.

EDIT: Wait, holy shit. My middle names mean "Free Man" and "Spear of the Gods". God of War was based on my names. A man, "Dedicated to the God of War", becomes a "Free Man" using the "Spear of the Gods".

lol wut

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Togs said:
Todd, according to google its old english for fox or foxhunter.
Also death in German.

My name is made up by my hippie parents. It could either mean Gracious (if you use John as the closest/similar to my name) and Youth if you pick Evan.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
The meaning of my name is a damn question. Michael means "Who is like God?" Hebrew origin.
My parents named me after the pastor of the church they were attending at the time.
My middle name Gene means "Born to nobility" English origin.
& they pick that for my middle name because Eugene Didn't sound so good & I thank them for it.

I like my name okay, just wish it wasn't so damn common some times.....

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
First Name: Julián, derived from Julianus, the last pagan Roman Emperor, it also means Young or Youthful

Second Name: Martín, also derived from the Roman Emeperor Martinus, it's related to the roman god of war Mars, it means something like "Warlike"

Last Name: Pagano, can be translated literaly to "pagan", but according to the interweb, it means "village dweller". Also, the english version is Payne. Like Max Payne. All kinds of awesome.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
if_then_else said:
Last Name: Pagano, can be translated literaly to "pagan", but according to the interweb, it means "village dweller". Also, the english version is Payne. Like Max Payne. All kinds of awesome.
Pagan basically means village dweller in Latin, it's probably originates from derogatory name calling by Roman urbanised Christians to the non-Christians who lived in the countryside during the latter years of the Roman Empire.

Anyway, my name

Nicholas= "Peoples Victory" in Greek.
Mark=Latin, meaning manly or masculine.
O'Dowd- Anglicised version of "O'Dubdha", meaning "dark one" in old Irish.

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
Nickolai77 said:
if_then_else said:
Pagan basically means village dweller in Latin, it's probably originates from derogatory name calling by Roman urbanised Christians to the non-Christians who lived in the countryside during the latter years of the Roman Empire.
Ah, it makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
I was called Connor because both my parents loved Highlander. Sigh, named after a 1980s film protagonist...wait a minute...THATS AWESOME!!.

There can be only one! (not literally, I know loads of Connors but I must be the only one named after Connor Mcloud)

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I tried making a name that no one would easily duplicate (to avoid the dreaded Alklazaris143) by trying to combine as many syllables as I could while still making it freeflowing. (Alk-La-Zar-is) and I tacked on Zack after I played MMOs that had first and last names.

I want to keep it for as long as I game, so if I ever run into any friends they will immediately know its me, no matter what game I play.

Though Alklazaris is apparently a very unique name so my internet footprint pretty much lit up like a christmas tree. Thank god my real name is one of the most common first and last times out there.

Eric Dudley

Nov 21, 2011
My name comes from old Norse, originally spelled "Eiríkr", which means "all ruler".

Also, named after my uncle.

But I like the first answer better.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Brittany: a region of France and derived from the Roman goddess Britannia. Apparently my name wasn't used in America until the 70s (which I find that hard to believe actually).