When is the last time you used your CD/DVD/whatever-ROM drive?

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
It has been ages. My Macbook Pro has an optibay, with two sad drives in it. Don't miss the optical drive in the slightest.
With more things moving towards digital distribution, its going to be a gradual decline of physical media.

Oct 30, 2010
I re-installed Neverwinter Nights and Oblivion, not that I'm likely to play them. Last time it was important was installing Fallout: NV or installing Baldur's Gate.

Feb 18, 2010
Playing dead space 2 about 10 minutes ago. While steam is great it still pays to shop around me thinks as online stores often discount faster then steam.

Dagnius

May 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dagnius said:
You kind of wasted your time there; the version that came with The Orange Box is so heavily different from the F2P version that you're probably still going to have to download the full ten gigs of data. I'm honestly surprised it even let you use the disc, instead of automatically connecting to Steam and starting the download -- this is one of the reasons I dislike steam, even though I use it. I guess I'm okay with a lifetime rental as long as that rental costs well under $10, which happens frequently during sales.

It worked fine, it picked up downloading the 5 gigs of updates without any problem, currently at 6,319.9MB/9,891.4MB. Though if it acts up I'm probably just gonna say to hell with it... Steam and I haven't had the best history. It used to drive me insane by freezing up and downloading stuff in the background when it said it wasnt; Then never closing out when I wanted it to. (Waiting on captcha is fuuun)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,
-Games are pretty cheap in steam, and you dont have to swap the cd if you want to switch games. Also.. *cough file hosting websites have a pretty good download speed these days, if you know what i mean.
-Most softwares that you really need to use are now available from/on the internet(google docs, skype).
-People who buy music (hah, thats a good one), would most likely bought it from itunes. LOL at popping an album cd just to hear it.
-[moar generic statement on how cd/dvd/whatever-rom drive is obsolete]
I watched a dvd on my laptop a week ago. I own only one downloaded game, and that's only because I can't find a hard copy, and I love listening to cd's, although I do buy about half my music on itunes now. In short, you're wrong. Just because you no longer use your drives, doesn't mean they're absolute. some people like the reliability and insurance of owning things in hard copy, and of looking at their game/movie/cd collection in tangible form, not just as names in a list.

BitterRebel

Aug 2, 2010
I always buy my music on Cd's. Then I rip to my computer at higher quality then what itunes can provide. Why buy from itunes? I still watch my movies on DVD and Bluray. Although I do stream from Netflix on occasions.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Well, I watched Airplane yesterday, so that was when I used it.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
When Minecraft 1.4 came out, I decided to back up my 1.3 files just in case. Since I was playing on a multi-player server that apparently didn't update their server right away, it was a good move.

Before that, my roommate bought a physical copy of Starcraft 2, while I bought it digitally. It was close enough to release though that it was downloading slow as hell, so I installed it with his CD, and signed onto my account.

I may have burned an audiobook for my mom as well.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I watched a DVD last night on my laptop, and earlier this week I imported a Van Halen CD to iTunes.
On my desktop... I think I played Civ V as a disk in May. Then I started playing Warband off of Steam.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The last time I use it was when I was watching a region 1 dvd on it (I from the UK which the UK dvds are region 2 and I have my pc on a limited region sets which it is on region 1 at the moment.)

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I switch games around quite a bit, actually. :p

Steam has incredibly slow download speeds from Australia, and my experiences with Empire left me wary of it, so I don't use it at all.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Yesterday.

I buy 99% of my music in CD form.

Play DVDs as well.

And I'm still rocking Might and Magic 6-8.

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
oh crap, i got someone get banned. i got 3 warnings.
i was gonna mention something about 'that' again, and how its about my opinion and blah blah blah. but i guess if a simply admitting 'that' can get someone hotheaded banned its best not to talk about it. so...

OT: hmm... so its just me here who have this unhealthy infatuation towards steam.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Blue-ray... PS3. Less then an hour ago. (Although I am looking forward tot he rise of the hollowcube).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The last time I used the CD drive was on my last computer, after I bought Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa. I burned it onto my old PC and the CD is now happily living on my Zune. Before that it was to play Fallout 2. Most of the games I play are on Newgrounds at this point.