When was the last time you cried and/or teared up during a video game?

Warlord Kentax

Feb 8, 2008
Let me see. I cried when Aerith died, wait, my first playthrough I didnt care. Then On the second it wasnt for a couple of hours after I stopped playing. Then there was the ending of MGS3, the Boss's sacrifice was so moving, but without the awesome music in the background it would never have come to tears. Then there was "Kana: Little Sister", if you wanna know about it go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana_Little_Sister . If you are into the Visual Novel style of games this is a must. Then recently I almost cried while playing "Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Miru_Kusuri:_A_Drug_That_Makes_You_Dream

Other than that I cant remember any others but Im sure they probably would have been visual novels.

"Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" aka Rumbling Hearts, the game, if they would just goddamn translate it already, would no doubt bring me to tears. Having your sweetheart put in a coma for 3 years is sad even to the player.

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
MGS3 ending. didn't cry, but i guess i got closer than ever with a game. just thinking about the ending and how it relates to current affairs, like iraq...sadness.

it's also got a beautiful theme song. right up there with Chariots of Fire.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Like many others, I don't recall crying, but I was definitely touched by some moments.

When Hellscream gave his life to save Thrall and the Orcs (as an aside, I personally felt that the Orcs were the only race in the WC franchise that had a soul. I related to them the most).

When reading the ending to Viconia's good-aligned romance story... that was probably the saddest moment in my video game career.

The end of Half-Life 2 Ep. 2 rocked me only a little at first. Days later, thinking about it, I got increasingly irritated at what happened and felt genuine sadness.

sapient

Jan 23, 2008
gunkata said:
The end Boss fight in Metal Gear Solid 3, and then after all is said and done the ending sequence.

I didn't cry, but I definitely had to wipe my eyes.
MGS3 was one absolutely brilliant piece of storytelling. I didn't cry, but I did feel pretty sad after EVA betrayed you and Snake laid flowers down at The Boss's grave.

sa1ntjames

Dec 7, 2007
do tears of hysterical laughter count? cuz watching my mom try and play a video game is pretty damn funny

honest though, i cant remember ever crying b/c of actual game content, i cried once cuz my sister erased my file from Pokemon Stadium and i had all 150 pokemon on it, but that really isnt the same thing lol ^^

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
No crying over a videogame (yet; I still hope) but you can hardly blame games for that. Only two movies (one was Dead Poet's Society and the other I forget) and one Star Trek episode (no I'll never tell anyone which episode) has ever spilt my tears over imaginary people.
But if we're talking "moved" then Wrex looking down in sadness at the very end of Mass Effect was one. It just seemed RIGHT that Shepard should die after that. Bioware still pulled off the Hollywood twist well but it still feels subtly wrong. Who else thinks this?

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Emma's death in Metal Gear Solid 2 and the death of Eli Vance in Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

I also got a bit teary when the Bamboo Cutter's Daughter flew back into space during Okami.

iaskev

Feb 8, 2008
Hmmm. I don't know why so many said FFVII. It was a good game, but I hardly felt anything for any of the shallow, emotionless, stereotypical anime characters in the whole game.

The end of HL2:Ep2 is a good mention. Though I'm surprised no one's mentioned Shadow of the Colossus. Ending of that would also be a very good moment.

Full-out crying through, i dunno. End of OoT? Lol, can't remember.

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Katana314 said:
I might have, but can't remember, if I cried at the ending to HL2: Episode Two. I know some friends of mine admitted it felt really emotional to them.

Also, there's one scene in the first American Fire Emblem game (the one with Eliwood, Lyndis, and Hector) that's pretty surprising, revealing a number of things at once, and of course, a main character dies.
The ending of Half life: Episode 2 nearly made me cry, I just managed to hold back my tears. Just managed.

Limasol

Feb 8, 2008
At the end of FF9 when the crystal spins and then the title comes up again as you pan away from the city. I welled up a bit then because i wanted to keep watching those character's lives for ever, i was probs only 13 at the time, i cant remember how long ago that was now.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Never, because I'm a Man.

Although if I had to cry, it would've been during Call of Duty 4. Playing through that on Veteran is enough to knock me into the fetal position. "no pleeease, make it stop..."

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
I'm pretty sure I teared up in FFVI way back when but I can't remember another game that made me cry. Of course, most of my history is in FPS's and RTS's on PC and I can't remember a single one that made me even feel any emotion except frustration and anxiety.

EDIT: Oh and "never because I'm a man" is a pretty moronic statement. If you can't recognize and feel the emotion of a situation even when it's fiction then what's the point of even playing games, watching movies, or reading books? I just happen to never have played many emotionally charged games in my history but I can tell you the last book or movie that made me lose it.

EDIT 2: And just because I'm sure the question will be asked: I lost it completely when reading Killer Angels, if you weren't ready to down a bottle of Valium after reading that book then you aren't human. I also cried while watching I am Legend (oh, you know the scene if you have seen it, you know it!).

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
The closest I've come was Half-Life 2: Episode 2 after the scene with the Hunter and Alyx (if you've played it you know what I'm talking about). I didn't cry, nor did my eyes water at all, but I felt that if I was one to cry, that would be the time for it. I just stared at the screen in horror at the time.

I'll admit that when I was younger if I got frustrated enough my eyes might start to water, but I always stopped to vent before I ever actually cried.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Umm.. I haven't cried outright to any game but i have teared up to a few.

The good ending of the aforementioned Silent Hill 2. It is a sad but realistic ending.

I have also teared up to Palom and Porom sacrificing themselves during FFIV, and the first death in a Final Fantasy during FFII.

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
I can count the number of times I've shed tears while playing a game on one hand.

1: the ending of StarFox 64 when you beat the game on the hard route. Best. Ending. EVER.
2: the death of Tikal in Sonic Adventure on the Sega Dreamcast
3: the death of Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2
4: the Ending of Myst III: Exile. Masterfully written. If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you need to grow a heart.
5: the "death" of the Weighted Companion Cube in Portal

Now the following are moments that would have made me cry if I had played the games they're in.

Aeris' Death in FF7
The mid-game cutscene in BioShock
the good ending in BioShock

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
gunkata said:
The end Boss fight in Metal Gear Solid 3, and then after all is said and done the ending sequence.

I didn't cry, but I definitely had to wipe my eyes.
Oh yeah. Same here.

Aside from that, the Kaidan/Ashley death scenes in Mass Effect never really affected me much: I played with Wrex/Garrus as soon as I got both of them.

In another story, I was watching a friend of mine play Mass Effect: He had gotten past the point I was on (Used a Wrex/Garrus party also) , and had just arrived at Virmire. Neither of us had known anything about it in advance. When we reached the Salarian camp, the part with Wrex was so heartbreaking, so morale-crushing, that he deleted his file and went home for the night. Needless to say, I made sure to level up my charm skill before I got to Virmire on my file.

strayjay

Oct 10, 2007
Bioshock. I didn't cry, but killing Andrew Ryan really brought me down. I felt like such shit after that that I probably would've cried if it wasn't for the shock of learning who I "really" was. And then that shock and sadness turned to white-hot anger (at Fontaine) so quickly that the whole scene is a bit of a blur.

The end of COD4 had a big emotional impact on me, but I didn't cry. Didn't even tear up. I was just left with a deep sadness for the fate of my comrades, and an appreciation for the people who do that kind of thing in real life. I mean... doing it all in a game was hard enough. Doing it in real life? You've gotta be kidding me.

As for the end of episode 2... I dunno. It hit home pretty hard, and it definitely sucked, but it felt too much like a contrived cliffhanger for me to really get worked up over it.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Nobody's mentioned euthanizing the Companion Cube yet? o_O

Anyway, I confess that I am a total sucker for sob scenes, Aeris in FFVII, Tidus at the end of FFX, even Kuja and Vivi at the end in FFIX (my friends never forgave me for that one), and worse still, in the song/flashback in chapter 4 of FFX-2, I cried for Shuyin and Lennex (I was afraid to even TELL anyone about that one).

And yes, the Silent Hill series has some pretty sad moments. I actually couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for Walter in SH4.

And there's one other so embarrassing it makes the above look mature, so I won't say it unless I'm pressed. ^_^;

Kantoken

Jan 16, 2008
Planescape Torment: if you talk the big baddy into giving up, instead of beating the shit out of him, gives you an enormous satisfying ending.

Kingdom Hearts 2: the intro. The music, the video. Shivers down my spine, it's that good.

All the Myst games: they all have endings that will give you the 'wow' feeling.

The only time I wanted to cry (but didn't) was after trying for the twentieth time to
beat Eyedoll in Killer Instinct for the SNES. Damn cheating @ss-hole.