Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I was still in the army back then, studying at the Defense Language Institute, and was at an early morning health and welfare mandatory class. I remember watching a Powerpoint presentation about safe sex with some clip art of a blue and a pink safe having sex up on the screen while the cadre in the back of the room were freaking out on their cell phones in loud whispering and overhearing phrases like "crashed the World Trade Center" and "Pentagon on fire".

They locked down the base right after that (it was an open base prior), and we went to the highest security where you have to show ID before entering any buildings. I still had to go to Chinese class, and we could only get a little news on a clock radio in between classes until lunch time, when I went to the barracks and saw the news on TV and it was awful.

During the next few months, we had to do double CQ shifts, and I remember having to inspect every vehicle that came on base for bombs all the time. The military and the whole country got really weird after 9/11.

Mar 26, 2008
I was at College at that time. They rounded everyone up in the auditorium and the faculty were showing the footage on the TV. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I saw the Challenger explode into a fireball; "Wow, those special effects look real. I wonder which movie this is for?" It must be my brain's way of dealing with something so tragic and hard to fathom.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I was up early to use the bathroom before my afternoon/night college courses. I was just glued to the TV for a solid hour as reports came in about Flight 93 crashing in Penn as well as the one that hit the Pentagon and how Bush waited 7 minutes or something before pulling himself away from a book reading. This became the big story for every liberal news outlet from that point on, followed by "Why are we in Iraq?".

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Was 18, driving home from this caf? with a couple of friends, just having finished breakfast.

Ygrez

Oct 6, 2009
Canadian here, was in high-school gym class outside at the time so didn't actually hear about it until after it had happened. When we got back inside everyone was talking about it though.

Had visited New-York a few years earlier and I will always remember looking up at those two huge buildings that I had trouble seeing the top of.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I had flown home from a year in California only days before, and had slept poorly the night before due to some intensely creepy dreams that sort of freaked me out because they had to do with plane crashes... I was in a daze the whole day watching the events and on the phone with friends who lived across the Hudson from Manhattan.
I fell asleep at one point and had a half-awake dream about the images on TV being preceeded by the THX logo which prompted me into believing for a few minutes after waking again that it was just a movie.
Quite a fucked up time. I ended up enlisting a few years later because of 9/11.

Feb 7, 2016
I was probably 8 at the time. In fact I was, since my birthday is September 2.

I was in class. I vaguely remember my teacher stopping class and we put on the TV. I can't remember how I felt, if I did at all, or how everyone else reacted.

I think we went home after that? Maybe?

Geez, for such a huge deal I sure can't remember any of it. I don't even know if my parents were following the situation.

The problem is, I don't remember anyone ever talking to me about it. And I couldn't see the TV since it was so small and this was before I realized I needed glasses so I don't know what everyone was looking at.

JaKandDaxter

War does change
Jan 10, 2009
I was in school in the 6th grade. After lunch my mom came to pick me and my brother up. Some girl told me they blew up the twin towers. Didn't understand till I got home and rewatched the news broadcast all afternoon.

I lived in NYC all my young life at the time. So the situation was certainly dire for my parents. They had to be afraid for our safety as our livelihood was in NY. And we were living less than 20 miles from the WTC. Asides from it being one of the buildings my parents visited with me and some of my siblings less than a decade earlier.

Fortunately despite 1993 being a very different time than today. A family friend videotapped us in WTC 2. And left the tape at my godmother's house when he went back to Puerto Rico. And she made copies. One of which I have.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The real question is: where you were you when they built that ladder to heaven?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I would have been 9, almost 10. I was at my cousin's house getting ready for school (my parents worked in the mornings then) and we were watching TV (more likely playing a video game since the TV would've had the news on all channels) when his mum came in and told us some planes had crashed the night before (Australia). I didn't really understand what that meant at the time ("oh, more planes crashed, like they do sometimes"), but that day at school there were a lot of questions with teachers having to explain terrorism to kids (something like bad people crashed the planes to teach America a lesson and it's wrong to do that).
I remember coming home that night and it was still on almost every channel.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I can't remember. I was still in training when I was 17. I was living in someone's garage at the time. I do remember being worried about being rotated into East Timor if I remember correctly. Then thinking; "Ah shit..." when I saw footage. Nothing came of it though. Heightened security... whole lot of people were talking about what it possibly meant. Whole lot of us were sort of told of a possible attack here at home. Paranoia ran a bit high. Then nothing, whole lot of bluster. World rolls on.

I feel old ... D:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I was about 4 years old at the time, so I was young and cannot remember it happening. Judging by the time and date, I probably would have been at school at the time, but I do not remember ever being told about 9/11, or any reactions from my friends or my family.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Magmarock said:
I was in Australia and it would have been the 10th for me
You mean 12th. Australia's ahead of UTC, not behind. And it was still the 11th in Australia when the first plane hit anyway. In Sydney it would have been just before 11PM, while in Perth it was nearly 9PM.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
infohippie said:
Magmarock said:
I was in Australia and it would have been the 10th for me
You mean 12th. Australia's ahead of UTC, not behind. And it was still the 11th in Australia when the first plane hit anyway. In Sydney it would have been just before 11PM, while in Perth it was nearly 9PM.
Oh yeah I guess. I was in high school at the time. I don't live in the US but it was a pretty big deal and had 24 hour news coverage.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I was at home eating dinner and was kinda pissed off that every channel was showing the crash over and over again instead of the ususal program.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I was in 5th grade when my mom took me out of school early. She did it because she didn't think a public school was safe during the attack.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Vor Yang said:
I was 10 when it happened. I was also probably asleep when it happened because all I remember about it was that I woke up expecting my daily dose of DBZ and all I got was news reels about how something had been blown up. Maybe it's because I'm not american but I was furious that this crap was being shown instead of my beloved DBZ.
Fucking oath. Bin Laden finally paid for interrupting my morning cartoons all those years ago.