Which development company do you still trust and admire?

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
After DA2, ME3 and the signing with EA , I lost hope in BioWare

IO Interactive disappointed me when they turned a unique, sand-box, stealth game like hitman into splinter-cell

Valve, Rockstar and Remedy Entertainment are all that remain now.

I feel Valve and Rockstar continually make great games and keep to their markets without feeling the need to "widen their range", they know what they're good at doing and they stick to it.

Remedy Entertainment brought me Max Payne 1&2 <3

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
CD Projekt, Bethesda and Obsidian. (yes Obsidian, I love their bug filled games because they are GOOD games)

Japanese based Falcom and Nippon Ichi come to mind, they know what their fan's want and are not afraid to give it to them.
And Square Enix because I still love final fantasy and am not afraid to admit it!

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
CD Projekt, because the things they're doing and GOG.com just makes it hard to hate them.

And Atlus. Because Persona 4.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Paradox make nothing but great (and incredibly buggy) games imo. But after they fix everything (about a year late), they're pretty much all great.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Bethesda. Skyrim and Fallout 3 are my top 2 games. I love the open world and the devotion and attention they pour into every corner of their worlds. They are the only games (along with FO:NV) where I have become properly immersed in the world and actually cared about the people.
I also played one of the earliest games, Pirates of the Caribbean, when I was younger. I loved it. I'm not sure if they created the prequel, Sea Dogs, but it was also pretty cool.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Developers or Publishers?

Nippon Ichi

ATLUS - O lawd, Atlus is my hommie.

XSEED - Many games don't 'do it ' for me, but I do respect what they do.

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
NightmareExpress said:
Atlus, Valve, CD Projekt Red

Though really, nobody.
These are just the three I find the least despicable.
thoughts on Rockstar?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Platinum have yet to let me down.
Also kind of Atlus but they do publish some real shit. Like, really bad.

Also I'll probably buy every The Walking Dead game thing by Telltale, even if I don't get their other stuff.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Level 5, From Software, and Atlus, because they are the only ones whose games I still play.

When Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix decide to wake up and make quality titles again I'll welcome them back.

Bethesda, Bioware, EA, Id, and Ubisoft I no longer care about, if I ever did.

Gearbox I want to like again, but Borderlands 2 wasn't that great, and their poor handling of it which continues to this day via balance issues and crippling glitches hasn't done them any favors. Unlike Bethesda, I believe in Gearbox and hope they can one day smooth out everything. Randy is a great guy too.

I think Sony would be wise to not even allow Bethesda to release titles on their consoles in the future. Everyone would be better off. Customers wouldn't be left with a broken product for over a year, and continually fed BS from Pete Hines about fixes and DLC when they either have zero ability or no intention of delivering either to Sony users.

Its not like someone is forcing them to keep lying to their customers. They KNOW 100% whether or not X and Y will happen in a given timeframe or at all and they CHOOSE to misinform when they say anything at all.

Honestly I would prefer to see a new IP from them rather than another Fallout/ES title. Both series have waaaay too much baggage and canon to even provide for much creative freedom. Which is pretty sad for games set in sci-fi/fantasy worlds.

They certainly don't ignite my imagination the way I believe they could if they didn't have to appease the continuity police.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Hmmm...

Obsidian
Paradox
Firaxis
CD Projekt RED
Bethesda (but only within strict limitations)
Relic
Volition

also the porting studio Nixxes

As for Valve, while I might 'trust' them, I certainly don't adore them.
(and for fuck's sake, don't ask my opinion of Rockstar)

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
kazann said:
NightmareExpress said:

Though really, nobody.

thoughts on Rockstar?
Don't particularly feel one way or the other, as I haven't been personally wowed by a majority of their titles as others have been (I'm one of those few people that don't care too much about GTA, for example). I've always felt that they are a tad excessive in DLC production (PS3/360 era), but I recognize that they are largely miles better in those regards than Capcom and a plethora of other companies (Ballad of Gay Tony vs on-disc Street Fighter IV costume pack or Oblivion Horse Armor).

My opinion on them would change for the better if they diversified their goods, as whenever I hear "RockStar presents" my mind defaults to "another open world product featuring edgy characters and a revenge story". With that said, I guess the last game from them that blew my mind was Red Dead Revolver back in 2004 because it was a linear title (with a revenge story) that Capcom was initially developing before giving it over to RockStar San Diego.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
CD Project have done a lot to earn my trust as both a developer and publisher as of late, I'll echo others in this topic and say them.

Got quite the soft spot for Obsidian mind you, but I'm not sure I'd say I trust them so much as I'm eager to see what they do next and just hope they succeed.

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
NightmareExpress said:
kazann said:
NightmareExpress said:

Though really, nobody.

thoughts on Rockstar?

My opinion on them would change for the better if they diversified their goods, as whenever I hear "RockStar presents" my mind defaults to "another open world product featuring edgy characters and a revenge story".
In my opinion that would only damage them, as I said early, when a developer sticks to what they're good at and perfects it instead of trying to change it around and appeal to a large audience, the product is a lot better.

for instance, when you think bioware - you think story driven rpg.
as you mentioned, when you think rockstar, you think "open world story driven game - GTA"

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Bungie and Platinum have never let me down yet - Bungie gave me Halo and soon, Destiny and Platinum gave me Bayonetta and Vanquish, Infinite Space and REVENGEANCE

I am looking forward to Destiny so much, I think Bungie are gonna be back in a big way this year

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont have a problem with Bioware.....EA on the otherhand...

honestly? I havnt been gaming long enough to have a favourite dev..and even then people cant accept the Idea that it is NOT the end of the fucking world if their favourite dev makes a mediocre game

EDIT: not a defence of Bioware....just saying its bound to happen sooner or later

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Believe it or not, I still like UbiSoft as a game developer. They've got some great creative minds in the company, like Michel Ancel, Patrice Désilets, Jeffrey Yohalem and so on, and I've never experienced any kind of hassle related to their games. No deleted saves or unavailable games due to DRM, nothing. Got no personal reason to dislike them!

Not talking based on just newer games, either. I played UbiSoft games back when Rayman was the shit and Sam Fisher was a new face in the line-up.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Bathesda and Obsidian. Yeah the games are bud riddled and sometimes break but i've never found a game i've put as many hours into as the games from these 2. Fallout 3/NV and the Elder Scrolls games have thousands of hours put into them. Plus I love modding and these are the games that allow near total freedom to do whatever I want.

CDProjekt Red because I love their games and they are incredibly helpful when i've had a problem.

And that is it.